Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 05:01 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,411,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Yeah, risks of STD's and pregnancy, not jail time just because two teens chose to hook up. Like it or not, that is the reality of the world today, teens are going to continue to use these apps to get together and have sex, punishing someone for it is just obtuse and I hope that this bogus conviction is overturned on appeal.
I'm almost certain it'll be overturned. But, if it isn't, the 19 year old's family should sue the girl's family.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:03 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,693,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Statutory rape laws exist for a reason. Otherwise, any actual jailbait could lie to any guy about her age and predators would get off scot-free for banging children. She is 14. 16+, ok, maybe there should be more leeway. 14 is a child. Potentially still a middle school kid depending on her birth date. Sure, maybe she looked 17. Or maybe she looked 14 and the dude is a loser who just say a chance to get his rocks off. Sure, many of these laws need updated. But I don't think a 19 year old sleeping with a 14 year old is the hill to die on.

Not really. There's a huge difference between a 19 year old having sex with a 14 year posing as a 17 year old and a 38 year old claiming he didn't know that the girl was 14. This is why a lot of states have laws that prevent specifically this type of thing, allowing there to be an age gap of 4 or 5 years between the two up to the age of 20 or 21, which is the only rational thing to do. Teens are going to have sex, whether this judge approves or disapproves, it will happen, sometimes girls will lie about their age, as long as you are relatively close to that age group, I don't see the issue.

The predators I'm more worried about are the one's in a position of authority or power, the coaches, teachers, religious leaders, bosses at work, people who really quite simply should know better and know that they are doing something inappropriate.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:05 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,095,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What sort of example?
Of what happens when you, as an adult, have sex with children.

Quote:
The guy shouldn't be punished, for anything. He didn't really do anything wrong.
An adult f**king a 14 y.o. child isn't wrong? I'll bet you also believe Bruce Jenner is now a woman, don't you? You're an example of what is wrong with society today, the moral compass is spinning wildly and too many have no standards at all anymore.

Quote:
If you take the logical reasoning behind the punishment to its ultimate conclusion, then no one should be having sex without a prior background check.
Well, consider the consequences of quick hookups with someone you don't know outside of a pseudonym on a phone app.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

An adult f**king a 14 y.o. child isn't wrong? I'll bet you also believe Bruce Jenner is now a woman, don't you? You're an example of what is wrong with society today, the moral compass is spinning wildly and too many have no standards at all anymore.

Well, consider the consequences of quick hookups with someone you don't know outside of a pseudonym on a phone app.
You can't seriously be this dense, can you? Why aren't you blaming the girl for pretty much misrepresenting herself? I'm almost certain the 19 year old kid didn't intent to **** a 14 year old. Again, if he had sex with her KNOWING she was 14, then it's a completely different story, and I'd be agreeing with you.

Also, people (teens and young adults included) will continue to have casual sex, phone app or not.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,693,097 times
Quote:

LOL, 19 isn't an adult and 14 isn't a child. They are both teenagers. Not sure if you get out much but the 18 and 19 year old's nowadays, for the most part, are still kids, the whole "well they can get vote and go to war" rhetoric is lame. I was in the Army with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds...and they were pretty much all still kids, still finding their way in the world, uncertain of what they were doing, stuff changes. It used to be back in the day that at 15 or 16 you'd strike out on your own and that would be that, nowadays kids are just taking longer to grow up, longer to find their path in life, longer to buy homes, get married, have kids...etc.......you can ignore that reality and substitute it with your own but it still won't change the way things are.

I don't buy that a 19 year old, dating a girl that he thinks is 17 is some sort of stranger-danger, perv-out threat. I think frankly the whole thing is a giant waste of taxpayer money, let the families work out it between them and move on to prosecuting the real threats out there.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:28 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,359,612 times
Quote:
Adults have sex with children all the time. An 18 year old is an adult, a 17 year old isn't. When they have sex, that, in your view, is grounds for imprisonment and sex offender status, even if they're one day apart in age. In my view, you're crazy. You would probably have to imprison the majority of the U.S. population. I would certainly be in prison.
Quote:
An adult f**king a 14 y.o. child isn't wrong?
Legally, no, in this circumstance I don't think there should be any culpability. They were two kids, and the girl lied. If anything, the girl should be held legally responsible. Your moral standard would basically make sex illegal without a background check.
Quote:
I'll bet you also believe Bruce Jenner is now a woman, don't you? You're an example of what is wrong with society today, the moral compass is spinning wildly and too many have no standards at all anymore.
Ah, I get it. You're a bible thumper Taliban-type, hate "queers", think premarital sex is "evil", etc. Usually people like yourself have the worst skeletons in the closet. Those of us in the real world will continue living our lives. And no, I don't have a problem with Bruce Jenner, and have no problem with her transition.
Quote:
It's none of your business. And no, people aren't going to do background checks every time they hookup. This isn't Afghanistan with some mullahs stoning people to death because they don't meet your weird sex standards. Obviously statutory rape is a serious matter but each situation is different and there needs to be some nuance.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth, Nola. Wish I could rep you more than once, lol.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
THAT age range its complete bull crap
he is not a sex offender
and in some states 17 is the legal age of consent...

his life is ruined for having consensual sex with his girlfriend...and they are both teens...

A 13-year-old is a "teen," too (nice thread [and article] title, BTW. How did I know the range would be from one end of the teens to the other?).

So what if the age of consent in some states is 17? That's irrelevant.

The girl was 14. Case closed.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,081,451 times
Crazy laws.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,904,794 times
Quote:
He got what he deserved.

Said no one with a fully functioning mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies