Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 07:01 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is all ridiculous. I was under-18 until sophomore year in college, so no one would know unless I told them.

And we shouldn't legislate morality. There's nothing wrong with sex. Why do I have to "get to know the people I'm sleeping with?". Why is that anybody's business? I have the right to screw strangers if I so choose.

We can protect kids without putting crazy rules about sex on the books.
I agree that you can't legislate morality, but the problem is you still need laws to protect certain people in our society (such as minors) from other certain people (namely child molesters and predators). Now, I am not saying that a 17-year-old needs to be protected from and 18-year-old and I am not saying in this case the 19-year-old was really acting as a predator; but you have to have something on the books saying an adult can't have sex with a child to protect children from the real sex offenders. Or else what's to stop a 40-year-old from having sex with a 9-year-old? There has to be lines somewhere.

The problem is a lack of a gray area or an "out" like in the poster above me mentioned" or something that says "within so many years of each other"(for example it's a crime if the child is under 17 unless you are within 1-2 years of each other in age... AKA you are an appropriate aged boy- or girl-friend) and until that's cleared up (the citizens or legislators of that state change their laws), the fact is all you need is one hard ball judge and your life is ruined. So don't take the risk, don't trust possible jailbait no matter what she says. Protect yourself and go for someone where you know them well and you know their age or go for obviously older for random hookups if that's what you are in to.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is all ridiculous. I was under-18 until sophomore year in college, so no one would know unless I told them.

And we shouldn't legislate morality. There's nothing wrong with sex. Why do I have to "get to know the people I'm sleeping with?". Why is that anybody's business? I have the right to screw strangers if I so choose.

We can protect kids without putting crazy rules about sex on the books.
Ah yes, someone always has the "I was a 14 year old college senior!!!" example.

The laws aren't about legislating morality - the laws are about protecting minors. Because, apparently, there are some people who think that adults having sex with 14 year olds is a perfectly acceptable thing.
Which is why we have to legislate against it. We shouldn't HAVE to declare it illegal for an adult to have sex with a 4 year old, a 10 year old, or a 14 year old, just as we shouldn't HAVE to declare forcible sex (rape) with someone who did not or cannot consent illegal, but we do so that there are consequences for people who act this way.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
The sad part is that the boy took a plea deal. Now they are trying to use a technicality to get it reversed, but it doesn't look all that good. It sounds like they need a better lawyer.

This seems to be a common tactic in these rape/predator types of cases. The prosecutor, eager to lock in a quick win especially for a difficult or ambiguous case, scares the defendant into taking a plea, because otherwise a scary and nasty jury is going to lock him away for 25 years.

I hope the kid gets the charges tossed out; good luck to him.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

The laws aren't about legislating morality - the laws are about protecting minors.
How does this law "protect minors"? The minor was the predator here. No one is being protected in this case.
Quote:
Because, apparently, there are some people who think that adults having sex with 14 year olds is a perfectly acceptable thing.
Ridiculous. Just because I don't think this person should be imprisoned doesn't mean it's "perfectly acceptable". There's a massive middle ground between imprisoning someone for behavior and endorsing such behavior.

The boy should have just lied. Sad, but true. He should have lied to the court and this wouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:09 PM

424 posts, read 382,053 times
How is that lady a judge?????? She should be the one in jail......

Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
A 13-year-old is a "teen," too (nice thread [and article] title, BTW. How did I know the range would be from one end of the teens to the other?).

So what if the age of consent in some states is 17? That's irrelevant.

The girl was 14. Case closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Never any of this magnitude.

You're probably right, but minors are not held to the behavior standards of adults, which the 19 was and should have acted accordingly knowing the consequences could be severe.
And what if he did his "due diligence" before hooking up with this girl and she had a fake I.D.? And not only a driver's license, but a fake college student I.D.?

Yes, it happens, a lot. When I was in high school and college just a few years ago, there were tons of underage (whether minors or those under 21 in a 21+ establishment) people around, especially girls, that had a fake college I.D.

I wish I could say I was surprised there would be people defending this judge, but I bet I could paint an accurate depiction of those defending his decision and their lives.

It's really pathetic with these "letter of the law" types who apparently lack any common sense and compassion.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:37 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And what if he did his "due diligence" before hooking up with this girl and she had a fake I.D.? And not only a driver's license, but a fake college student I.D.?

Yes, it happens, a lot. When I was in high school and college just a few years ago, there were tons of underage (whether minors or those under 21 in a 21+ establishment) people around, especially girls, that had a fake college I.D.

I wish I could say I was surprised there would be people defending this judge, but I bet I could paint an accurate depiction of those defending his decision and their lives.

It's really pathetic with these "letter of the law" types who apparently lack any common sense and compassion.
Well, if underage teens are that devious and lying that much, you just have to be extra careful. Like I said, hook up with people you know (and you know their age) or go for the very obviously older. If there is any doubt, don't. Especially if you know all these kids look older to you and have fake IDs. The only thing any person can do right now, in that situation, with the law the way it is, is to control one's own behavior.

I have compassion for the kid (to me he's still a kid), but the way our laws work, people need to step up and do something--not just say, "it's unfair" and expect someone else to change it. I don't live in his state (or the other state) so I can't do anything. So the people who live in that area and who are outraged need to petition to change things and in the meantime, other people looking for random hookup sex with others need to control the one thing they can... themselves and who they pick to have sex with.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

In some places, it's very easy to get a fake ID. And some states are easier to fake.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:17 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
The laws aren't about legislating morality - the laws are about protecting minors.

Even a law meant to protect minors can be applied in a measured and reasonable manner.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That might not be a bad idea if they're not smart enough to at least get to know one another a bit before engaging in sex, particularly at such a young age.

And you're describing rape.

I'm 50+. So if I screw a 14 y.o., and say "but I thought she was 19" then I should get off scot free as well?
I'll tell you what, if you are ever caught with a counterfeit $20 bill, I really do hope they throw the book at you and lock you up for not doing your due diligence.

I'm not wanting to be a jerk here, but I truly believe people with this "zero tolerance" mindset get a little "zero tolerance" thrown back on them.

Are you an assistant principal at Wamsutta Middle School?

Student Suspended For Butter Knife She Brought To Middle School In Packed Lunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies