Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times

Advertisements

This is nothing new. THis happens all the time. The laws may or may not need to be changed or revamped. Maybe meeting people online isn't the best way to "hook up". He could have far worse problems.....a child, herpes, HIV, and a whole list of crotch rot.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:06 PM

520 posts, read 532,543 times
Of course they need to be changed. The directive in society is absolutely clear. No more throwing people in jail for victimless crimes. This sh* has got to stop and stop now. What an ungodly waste of resources.

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This.

He did because he's over four years older than her. Had he been 17 or 18, perhaps not.

The whole lying about being 17 and 14 garbage is NOT on her. It's on him.
How is it not on her? Please explain the logic in that? She is the one that lied, there is plenty of digital evidence showing she lied, yet somehow that is his fault?

1,422 posts, read 952,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Another example of how our culture draws fewer lines as far as morality goes, but the lines we do draw are much bolder and the consequences for crossing them are much more severe. This is also an example where new morality and old morality come in direct conflict with each other. The prosecutor's motivation here is that he is against the hook up culture in general, and the age difference is the line in the sand he can use as his justification for making an example out of him. He'd probably throw anyone who hooks up with someone online in jail if he could get away with it.
True.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Just looked at the Facebook page associated with the perp's story. Mommy and Daddy went out and bought their poor little baby his very own house to live in. I guess that's easier than giving up the Internet connection in their own house to abide by court orders. Good to see their priorities are straight.
Their priorities are straight, he did not do anything wrong. The person who did wrong however, the 14 year old, not only receives no punishment, but is regarded as the victim in this case.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:13 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Just looked at the Facebook page associated with the perp's story. Mommy and Daddy went out and bought their poor little baby his very own house to live in. I guess that's easier than giving up the Internet connection in their own house to abide by court orders. Good to see their priorities are straight.
And the 14 Y/O worried about having sex does? Give me a break. You're bringing so much negativity to this thread it's not even funny.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,131 times
Quote:
This.

He did because he's over four years older than her. Had he been 17 or 18, perhaps not.

If I yelled "fire" in a movie theater and someone got hurt in the chaos trying to escape would it be their fault too for not checking?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:33 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,027 times
Quote:
This.

You're joking, right? Don't even know how you can say that with a straight face.

It's a 110% on HER, period.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:43 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Their priorities are straight, he did not do anything wrong. The person who did wrong however, the 14 year old, not only receives no punishment, but is regarded as the victim in this case.
It seems like it would be hard to punish a child in an adult fashion (fines, jail time) when her being underage is what the furor is all about. I hope she has learned her lesson about the horrible consequences her lie could have for other people, not just the young man but also her parents. Community service where she had to counsel other teens or volunteer in some way might be a good idea.

I don't think she is being regarded as a victim. Certainly not by most of the people in this thread or even her own parents.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How is it not on her? Please explain the logic in that? She is the one that lied, there is plenty of digital evidence showing she lied, yet somehow that is his fault?
Laws covering minors are very different than rules covering adults. I have a young male relative who got into some trouble a couple of weeks ago with a friend....friend was 18, my relative is 17 but will be 18 next month. The 18 year old was held legally liable, totally and completely. That's the way it is.

In any case, why should either of them have their life ruined? She admits lying and spoke on his behalf in court and before court, to the prosecutor, to get them to drop the charges....she went in with her mom saying "it's my fault, I lied, he shouldn't be charged" so I am baffled why so many are coming down so hard on her. Weren't you ever 14? She wasn't thinking this far ahead, she was a young girl who developed an online crush and lied about her age so he wouldn't stop talking to her. Is that really as rare as many here seem to think it is? Both these kids are typical kids caught up in a ridiculously overblown situation, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies