Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:41 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times

Advertisements

This may get closed down, but hopefully I can attempt to define what white privilege is. Many minorities and non-whites tend to feel that white privilege is self evident. However whites disagree that they have any inherit advantages in contemporary American society. So who is right? Do whites who deny privilege being disingenuous, and denying their advantages? Or are minorities blaming their shortcomings on a myth that has no basis for reality?

White privilege is actually very easy to define. White privilege is the right to be viewed individually. This mean in American society, there are no canned stereotypes. If there is say a white murderer, this can be chalked up to individual choice. Whites are almost never judged by the action of 1 person in modern society. The only time where whites are grouped together is via historical classification, which actually hardly matters. However this is the only advantage that white privilege gives anyone. It is the the right to be judged on an individual basis.

This is why many whites can't seem to grasp the concept of white privilege. Many of them have no idea what is like to be a minority and be judged by the actions of your race. For example, I am a black man who I feel is moderately educated. Definitely my education and intellect surpasses what most people would think the average black male should have. But guess what? My intellect is NEVER assumed. It has to always first be PROVEN. It's not considered a given that I am a 35 year old black male and have a professional job, and have reasonable amount of intellect. So it is normally a surprise and a shock when I can speak intelligently, because it's not an expectation from black people, specifically black males. A latino male has to overcome the same barriers. An asian male may be considered smart, but not athletic. So that asian male has to overcome the stereotype of asians being physical weak.

Every other ethnic group in America, except white must overcome various stereotypes for the right to be judged individually. Whites do not. It not a shock that most whites are oblivious to this, as this is a function of the lower mind. The subconscious mind that form associations. It's not even a conscious association. But this is what white privilege is. Obviously what you DO with your individualism is of course up to the individual. Not all whites will take full advantage of this. But this is what white privilege is. And this is a powerful advantage.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This may get closed down, but hopefully I can attempt to define what white privilege is. Many minorities and non-whites tend to feel that white privilege is self evident. However whites disagree that they have any inherit advantages in contemporary American society. So who is right? Do whites who deny privilege being disingenuous, and denying their advantages? Or are minorities blaming their shortcomings on a myth that has no basis for reality?

White privilege is actually very easy to define. White privilege is the right to be viewed individually. This mean in American society, there are no canned stereotypes. If there is say a white murderer, this can be chalked up to individual choice. Whites are almost never judged by the action of 1 person in modern society. The only time where whites are grouped together is via historical classification, which actually hardly matters. However this is the only advantage that white privilege gives anyone. It is the the right to be judged on an individual basis.

This is why many whites can't seem to grasp the concept of white privilege. Many of them have no idea what is like to be a minority and be judged by the actions of your race. For example, I am a black man who I feel is moderately educated. Definitely my education and intellect surpasses what most people would think the average black male should have. But guess what? My intellect is NEVER assumed. It has to always first be PROVEN. It's not considered a given that I am a 35 year old black male and have a professional job, and have reasonable amount of intellect. So it is normally a surprise and a shock when I can speak intelligently, because it's not an expectation from black people, specifically black males. A latino male has to overcome the same barriers. An asian male may be considered smart, but not athletic. So that asian male has to overcome the stereotype of asians being physical weak.

Every other ethnic group in America, except white must overcome various stereotypes for the right to be judged individually. Whites do not. It not a shock that most whites are oblivious to this, as this is a function of the lower mind. The subconscious mind that form associations. It's not even a conscious association. But this is what white privilege is. Obviously what you DO with your individualism is of course up to the individual. Not all whites will take full advantage of this. But this is what white privilege is. And this is a powerful advantage.
As a white female.........I feel the same way about males.

Life is tuff..........suck it up.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:47 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:

Wow, murder is white privilege?

Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Who knew?????

Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry, what part of my post did you not comprehend. I can re-edit this so you can better understand the point I am trying to make.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:

This is why many whites can't seem to grasp the concept of white privilege. Many of them have no idea what is like to be a minority and be judged by the actions of your race. For example, I am a black man who I feel is moderately educated. Definitely my education and intellect surpasses what most people would think the average black male should have. But guess what? My intellect is NEVER assumed. It has to always first be PROVEN.
Right before my day to be a woman were supposed to be barefoot and pregnant, in the kitchen, taking care of the kids then having enough energy to procreate. If your man was an SOB, too bad and divorce was a no-no, and you had to rent because the banks would not give you a mortgage.

My time, men had one leg stuck in the old days and one in the new world. Woman had to go to the other extreme to prove intelligence and could do it all. Does anyone remember the commercial by ajoli?

I can bring home the bacon,
Fry it up in a pan,
And never, never, never let you forget you're a man,
Because I'm a wooooman.

Being petite and blonde was a double whammy. BUT it never took them long to realize that yes you were intelligent an could do the job. Nothing would turn a co-worker off more than a whiny woman, do you think it works any different for you? This nonsense was never worth focusing and getting angry about and certainly wasn't worth whining about constantly.

So seriously, I don't want to hear your nonsense. Other people overcame, woman overcame. If you are are more educated and intelligent you should be stop with the nonsense and move on.

Last edited by petch751; 06-21-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Who knew?????

Are we really going to play this game?

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM

258 posts, read 157,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
As a white female.........I feel the same way about males.

Life is tuff..........suck it up.
lol. That's a good point.

The difference in personal security issues (as an example) may well be much greater when split on gender lines as opposed to ethnic ones.

In other words, are women more afraid of men than whites are of blacks? Do the police treat men more harshly than women?

It's an interesting angle.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
In my day to be a woman you had to prove intelligence, we were supposed to be barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen whipping up dinner for the family, then cleaning up the mess, taking care of the kids then having enough energy to procreate. How's that for being looked at and treated as if you existed for one purpose. Being petite and blonde was a double whammy. Yet it never took long and was never worth focusing and getting angry about and certainly wasn't worth whining about constantly. If you are are more educated and intelligent than people think you ASSume you should be stop with the nonsense and move on.

Well no one is whining. And no one is angry. In the purest form, I am defining white privilege. And in any modern first world country, the right to be judged individually is a very powerful right. I'm not saying that it hinders me as a minority. I'm not even saying that minorities can't prevail underneath white privilege. So please do not take talking points from other debates.

All I am doing is defining what white privilege is. I do not want to get into the perceived implication of white privilege. I feel because white privilege is largely subconscious, we must come to terms with human nature, before we start thinking about society as a whole.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
There are some whites who understand, but others refuse to understand or even try to understand. That latter are the people who are fighting to protect their privilege because they don't like having to work to compete. However, it doesn't matter to me, generally speaking. Just don't play victim when you are obviously not one. Just don't get angry because I surpass you. Be fair and don't cheat because it bothers you to see me get ahead. Other than that, I generally don't care whether or not they acknowledge any privilege. Just move out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies