Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I can walk into a store in my town and, after having the clerk do the background check, pay the man and walk out the same day with a pistol, rifle or shotgun. I consider guns to be tools. If I need a wrench I can buy one. If I need a pistol I can buy one. That is the way it should be everywhere in the country.

We do not need to control firearms. We need to control the people that would misuse firearms for criminal acts. That is best done by a well armed population willing to defend themselves and others from violent assault. Citizens should be taught in High School how and when it is proper to use guns.
cant rep you again right now, so this will have to do

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So you are honorable and careful, we can safely assume everyone else is the same way right.
Now that's reaching. Let me know when you find something that can't be used for ill intent.

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode when Bart gets put in a remedial class: "now everyone take out your safety pencils and circles of paper. This week we're going to try to finish our work on the letter A."

Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
cant rep you again right now, so this will have to do
I repped him for ya, it was a good post.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:39 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's too bad the people in your city behave like animals and can't be trusted with 18th century technology. MY city doesn't have any problems with guns, there hasn't been a shooting much less a murder here for decades.

You're making my point here. No one in the guns rights crowds bothers to ask what people in the communities most affected by gun crime think about guns.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Gun grabbers? Is this a slogan for a gun sale?
Sounds like a gay slang term for groping!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:44 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Better yet, go to a legitimate gun show and try to buy a hand gun.

Report back to us on how "easy" it is.
With my CCP, I can do it easy here.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You're making my point here. No one in the guns rights crowds bothers to ask what people in the communities most affected by gun crime think about guns.
Why intentionally seek confirmation bias? 10/10 dog breeders agree: everyone should own a dog.

By the way, not all victims of gun violence are or become anti-gun. Even at Sandy Hook:
Sandy Hook Parents Don't Think America Needs More Gun Laws - Mic

So what is your point? Your first post was that us Chicagoans see a 30 hour round trip drive as our primary source for illegal gun purchases. Your second post was quoted now.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
With my CCP, I can do it easy here.
I wonder if the OP meant "without a background check" to address the alleged gun show loophole, or the "easier to buy a gun than a loaf of bread" style hyperbole.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:25 PM

893 posts, read 886,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Most guns in my city come from straw purchasers in Mississippi. There are lots of good guys with guns in Chicago and that's cured our crime! (just kidding)
actually it's proven that crime goes down when citizens have the ability to arm themselves.

Straw purchases are illegal everywhere so if we just enforce the laws we have (prosecute!) then it would certainly go along ways.

I do think we should outlaw murder. That would certainly help

Old 03-07-2016, 03:26 PM

893 posts, read 886,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, just this week in my area, there have been several gun store burglaries. So it was certainly easy enough for them to get a bunch of guns to sell to other violent criminals.
Still against the law. Next
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies