Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times

Advertisements

Nothing mind altering is "harmless".

that includes sugar, nicotine, alcohol, prescription medication and caffeine.

They all have adverse effects to some degree. Obviously some much worse (cigarettes) than others (caffeine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:39 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I want to start off by saying I am in full support of pot legalization, and I think Denvers method is pretty good so far.

That being said, I'm seeing a lot of people here claiming pot use has little to no downsides with multitudes of upsides. I disagree.

Inhaling any hot smoke into the lungs is bad including pot. I know it caused me to cough quite badly.

Also the effects on memory, especially short term memory is drastic. I was reading about African history last night, and I can remember what I read before I ate a chocolate with thc, but what I read while high I don't remember at all. Likewise I was having a phone conversation and I for the life of me could not remember what we talked about 30 seconds ago, even though I could converse fine in the present.

And it really disrupts your normal way of thinking. I zoned really into what I was doing, would lose track of what I was doing or where I was going, short term memory deal again, and then snap back to what was happening around me, over and over again. I just couldn't critically think in a quick clear way. And it was really hard to focus on surroundings.

The long term effects are a medical debate that really won't be known until more study has been given to the area. But I can say, at least for me, the short term consequences had as much positive and negative as something like alcohol.
I knew someone who graduated from a prestigious engineering school with a 3.9 GPA while smoking weed virtually everyday. Sample sizes of one, good or bad, are rarely accurate over the entire range of population.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
I support marijuana legalization, but it's not a harmless miracle drug
I support the legalization of all drugs.

Personally, I've never used any drug, legal or not, over the course of my life, besides antibiotics a couple of times and taking aspirin once or twice over the years. But, as a professional musician in my younger days, I was around druggies and drunks for years and years (including a lot of potheads). Nobody is going to convince me that there is not a downside.

Having said that, I do not believe the government should have any say at all what a person does to himself/herself, assuming it is not hampering others from making the same personal choices and assuming it is not causing that person to become a ward of the state (meaning that person is 100% responsible for the consequences of his/her choice). What you do with your body and/or mind is squarely your choice. I also support legalizing many other activities that only affect the person or group of consenting persons engaged in the activity. For example, I support the legalization of suicide. Should I so choose, that should be my choice, without the state attempting to prevent me from doing so. I also support legalization of polygamy. Whose business is that of anyone's besides the group willingly engaging?

Any conscious choice by an adult only affecting that adult should be legal. That doesn't mean I agree personally with any of it. It's just that people need to make their own choice, whether it is a wise choice or whether it earns them a Darwin Award.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
Some on here must be in law enforcement and legalization will take away their cash cow of legally taking your property.
Nazism did the same thing make laws to take away peoples wealth liberty and life ... our money states for all debts public or private when is the government going to mind their own business and stay out of mine?
Don't Tread On Me!

Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
I want to start off by saying I am in full support of pot legalization, and I think Denvers method is pretty good so far.

That being said, I'm seeing a lot of people here claiming pot use has little to no downsides with multitudes of upsides. I disagree.

Inhaling any hot smoke into the lungs is bad including pot. I know it caused me to cough quite badly.

Also the effects on memory, especially short term memory is drastic. I was reading about African history last night, and I can remember what I read before I ate a chocolate with thc, but what I read while high I don't remember at all. Likewise I was having a phone conversation and I for the life of me could not remember what we talked about 30 seconds ago, even though I could converse fine in the present.

And it really disrupts your normal way of thinking. I zoned really into what I was doing, would lose track of what I was doing or where I was going, short term memory deal again, and then snap back to what was happening around me, over and over again. I just couldn't critically think in a quick clear way. And it was really hard to focus on surroundings.

The long term effects are a medical debate that really won't be known until more study has been given to the area. But I can say, at least for me, the short term consequences had as much positive and negative as something like alcohol.
You are talking about your experience. I don't know anyone who smokes who had memory loss. What study needs to be done. Pot has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:34 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There is a HUGE difference between something like marijuana that could potentially be mentally addictive and things like alcohol, heroin, oxycodone etc. that are physically addictive-meaning your body will eventually need the substance to function. But really anything can be mentally addicting.

That is why people say marijuana is not addictive-compared to other drugs and alcohol which can cause physical, sick, body aching addiction marijuana is a piece of cake to stop using.

But I agree with you otherwise.
But it all starts with a psychological addiction; the desire to redose. If you don't use a substance more than once every two weeks, your not going to get addicted to it, and likewise you will avoid many of the harmful effects from continual use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
There is a psychological addiction, coming from somebody who has known many, many, MANY potheads in my life.

I'm indifferent about pot legalization. The best con I can see is simply the smell of it. It reeks, and I don't want it around me.
Same here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it has not been "pretty good" for Denver or Colorado...

Denver emergency room doctor seeing more patients for marijuana edibles | CPR

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us...high.html?_r=0

I am 100% against the legalization of it.
And this is why I'm against just some haphazard decriminalization. I think there should be like a 30 minute video you watch describing doses and what effects happen and you have to take a test to understand the basics of the drug before you can purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Nothing mind altering is "harmless".

that includes sugar, nicotine, alcohol, prescription medication and caffeine.

They all have adverse effects to some degree. Obviously some much worse (cigarettes) than others (caffeine)
True.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I knew someone who graduated from a prestigious engineering school with a 3.9 GPA while smoking weed virtually everyday. Sample sizes of one, good or bad, are rarely accurate over the entire range of population.
There was a study done (I heard on NPR) comparing grades and test scores between mj users and non-users in Europe, with some sort of decent control for other variables, and they found that regular use did decrease scores significantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You are talking about your experience. I don't know anyone who smokes who had memory loss. What study needs to be done. Pot has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries.
Now you know one. It's a common side effect listed on the internet, so there is some substance to it.

And opium/opiate use has been going on for millenia for medical reasons, probably (I don't know for sure) in much, much greater quantities than pot use. What does that say about that class of drugs?

The thing is, a drug like caffeine or even hydrocodone effects people in a relatively similar manner. The effects are pretty consistent. With marijuana, it's all over the board. I would decribe my experience as clearly a deliriant one, very similar to benedryll. But apparently other people are effected totally different. I think that pot doesn't have such a focused target in the body/mind that other drugs do, so that means there is a great deal we still need to figure out.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:09 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Yes, I am in the same camp.

I do think the pros of legalization outweigh the cons. But I think a LOT of people are fooling themselves....there is a LOT of negative and potential-negatives that come with using pot. First and foremost, smoking anything is definitely a bad idea. Then, addiction......wow, wonder how many people have had pot take-over their life....probably a LOT.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Vaporizing pot eliminates virtually all the toxins from smoke. It's the only way to go.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,344 times
Just about everyone in those articles is making up things that contradict other studies, mostly due to greed. The Federal govt published a study last February saying it does not cause fatal crashes. Feds usually like to exaggerate dangers. The candy has caused some panic attacks, with delayed effect being part of the problem. I know some people hate the small of the smoke.

I think they should allow vaping cannabis oil in some public places as their is no actual burning, meaning very little if any smoke & the quick effect helps people avoid using too much, unlike with edibles, which are popular in part because they can be used anywhere without the smoke smell telling people what it is. Things get adjusted if problems arise, but is closing it down for all reasonable?

Some researchers got their $500,000 per study only if they said they'd find something bad. "Studies" using your tax money had to approved by the pill companies, who take in $2 trillion a year and kill 265,000 Americans a year. CDC said cannabis killed 0 in 2010. 0 in the whole country.

Treatment centers must get their $30,000 per month per patient by getting people to believe it will kill them or make them permanently mentally ill, or forced treatment (by govt, generally).

Some need cannabis to live. In 2008, Rick Simpson, then of Maccan, NS, rubbed some cannabis oil on his skin cancer & several days later it was gone. So, he decided he should try it on others with various cancers & other fatal illnesses. All these were people diagnosed by their doctors who'd given up on them. He tried to help about 5,000 people for free, using his $1.3 million life savings, & well over 90% had remissions. He used 1 gram per day for 90 days for most. He made a video, Run From The Cure. Then Rick had to run as US govt found out & wanted life sentence for healing all those people.

Cannabis oil & other cannabis products were in over half the medicines in pharmacies back in 1800s, non-prescription, no min. age. It didn't get bad reviews until the companies that made it wanted to make patented synthetics for a higher profit. Other businesses bought protection, too, so Feds made it illegal. An old book says something about the love of money. In my case, I've read about 15,000, maybe 20,000 pages about cannabis since 2004. Wasn't paid a cent to read, don't charge a cent to tell what I know. Zero money corruption. I have the time to read all this as I'm permanently disabled.

What I'd like is to spend what little time I have left not being in pain, by using something healthy, and see the 25% who say they are in chronic pain to all have this help, if they want it. Crooked law enforcement doesn't just enforce bad laws, union lobbyist buys guv, we can't get voter initiative, police from many jurisdictions crowd committee rooms, leaning over & saying cross out that line & this until about 0 left in MMJ bill. Many cops & lawyers, active & retired, are members of legislature, also.

So about my only choices are to commit suicide, be in terrible pain until dead, or move to some place where I can get relief, at the expense of never seeing my family & friends again. I think I have Glaucoma, going blind, neurological disorder(s), guess MS based on my having nearly every symptom listed on webmd. My extreme anxiety & depression goes away if my whole body is numb, but haven't found that type of cannabis for years, only the $400/oz high THC type. You may not need it, some do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it has not been "pretty good" for Denver or Colorado...

Denver emergency room doctor seeing more patients for marijuana edibles | CPR

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/us...high.html?_r=0

I am 100% against the legalization of it.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,344 times
Tobacco can cause lung cancer & cannabis doesn't, so obviously not all smoke is the same. As for addiction, what about if the person is dead or alive, sick o well? Shouldn't that matter more than addiction? 9% addiction comes from Institute Of Medicine. Govt wanted figure from them that would be good for pill cos., forced "addiction treatment" center operators & whoever else needs an excuse to keep it illegal. A European expert previously as 2%. Pot mostly takes over the lives of those already sick, those with mental health issues &/or physical pain. We don't call those who take pills daily addicts. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, I am in the same camp.

I do think the pros of legalization outweigh the cons. But I think a LOT of people are fooling themselves....there is a LOT of negative and potential-negatives that come with using pot. First and foremost, smoking anything is definitely a bad idea. Then, addiction......wow, wonder how many people have had pot take-over their life....probably a LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies