Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
By definition "settlers" pushed Indians off the land and reduced their hunting grounds. The expanding frontier of 'civilization' was the scene of many battles, attacks, and massacres.
It was the same things different tribes would also do to each other.

I know you probably subscribe to this mindset of a bunch of Native Americans living in perfect harmony with each other, but that actually wasn't reality. Just like their European cousins, they would also take advantage of those with less power in order to gain resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,236,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
First off, NOBODY ever said the Native Americans named that island Squaw Island or called it that. We've specifically said that it was named with a Native American word that means "woman". Guess what, we're not calling the vast majority of places in the US by the names of what Native Americans called them, the Europeans and then Americans gave most places their names, and that is what we go by.

I'm not taking a stand that the local officials can't rename an island when a few people with nothing better to do decides this is their newest outrage. I'm pointing out how stupid it is that anyone is outraged with something like the place being called Squaw Island.

But, you're right, I can't get over how many times I see the KKK and other hate groups going around with "Squaw" on signs. It truly is the big derogatory word of the day. {Sarcasm off}

Once again, we can we start the campaign to have the word "taco" removed from restaurant menus?
Again, what does it matter if people where you don't live what to change the name of a place you don't live anywhere near matter to you? You could petition to have the word "taco" removed from where you live if you like if for some reason the word "taco" offends you.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh good, it was named before any Native Americans were slaughtered....that makes it so much better. Seriously, it is just an island, names change from time to time, if the people who live there now feel the name should be changed, it is none of anyone else's business.
And we have the right to say that such changes are being done in the name of goofy PC craziness. It's happening because some people looking for their next cause were able to located something for which they could be outraged.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,236,620 times
Quote:
And we have the right to say that such changes are being done in the name of goofy PC craziness. It's happening because some people looking for their next cause were able to located something for which they could be outraged.
Like being outraged of an island you have probably never heard of or been to being renamed?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 PM

25,916 posts, read 18,919,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
By definition "settlers" pushed Indians off the land and reduced their hunting grounds. The expanding frontier of 'civilization' was the scene of many battles, attacks, and massacres.
From both sides and not from all individuals on either side. There are good people and there are bad people. No race or civilization has a corner on either.

The Americas was not a garden of Eden before whitey arrived. Whitey just added some more fuel to a fire that had burning a long, long time. The only real significant difference is that whitey had superior firepower and technology. Human psychology was not significantly different as far as being "warlike."

Quote:
Once again, we can we start the campaign to have the word "taco" removed from restaurant menus?
"Egg Roll" has got to go as well. Pretty derogatory slur.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Again, what does it matter if people where you don't live what to change the name of a place you don't live anywhere near matter to you? .
You didn't seem to have that same mentality in regards to the flying of the Confederate flag in SC, if memory serves me.

I believe you mentioned that they shouldn't be able to fly that flag. If you don't live there, why should it matter to you?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Like being outraged of an island you have probably never heard of or been to being renamed?
I'm not outraged by it, I just like pointing out how silly the outrage over the name is.

Do you travel to SC so much that you should be outraged about the flags they fly?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,678,596 times
Quote:
It was the same things different tribes would also do to each other.

I know you probably subscribe to this mindset of a bunch of Native Americans living in perfect harmony with each other, but that actually wasn't reality. Just like their European cousins, they would also take advantage of those with less power in order to gain resources.
that's not true in this case. The Seneca is a member nation of the Iroquois confederacy as are the Mohawks. A union of 5 tribes who maintain the oldest working democracy on the planet. We added the Tuscarora in 1722 to make it 6 tribes. We lived in harmony for centuries before the white man showed up. Your constitution was a direct cut and paste of our great law. All the Iroquois Chiefs were invited to attend the first continental congress in Philadelphia by George Washington, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin. We provided valuable input in the formation of this nation which remains the foundation of your governing principles to this day.

To portray us as brutal savages who went around slaughtering each other is totally false and I will not let that stand. I will respond to every post you make claiming such conduct on our part. So you better start providing indisputable proof for your claim of Indian savagery prior to the euros.

The Indian slaughters came about after the white euros came, took the land and pushed the remaining natives westward into other native's sovereign territory. It was then fight or die for both tribes. a brilliant strategy to effect the euros extermination of our race.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,678,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
From both sides and not from all individuals on either side. There are good people and there are bad people. No race or civilization has a corner on either.

The Americas was not a garden of Eden before whitey arrived. Whitey just added some more fuel to a fire that had burning a long, long time. The only real significant difference is that whitey had superior firepower and technology. Human psychology was not significantly different as far as being "warlike."

"Egg Roll" has got to go as well. Pretty derogatory slur.
What you just said is patently false and complete BS. You know less than nothing about my culture, my history or the past as it concerns American Indians prior to the white man.

For the record, I'm very familiar with the recent ruling of the Squaw Island name change. It was suggested, the local governing body took up the issue and made the change. There were no protests or sign waving. No sit ins or anything. no different than Phoenix renaming the biggest mountain in town Piestawa Peak instead of Squaw peak. It was suggested, put to a vote by the city council and adopted. No protest, no pushback.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To portray us as brutal savages who went around slaughtering each other is totally false and I will not let that stand. I will respond to every post you make claiming such conduct on our part.
ROFLMAO. Actually I portrayed Native Americans as humans that do what humans have done for centuries.

Sorry, if I had to bring in reality and discuss the FACT that tribes fought each other over resources well before the arrival of Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies