Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Epigenetics: heritable changes in gene expression without alteration of the DNA sequence
^ what he/she said.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think so, yes. You want that child to have the best life possible or what is the point? Do I think people should be picking eye and hair color? No. But if abnormalities can be corrected, they should be.
And who should be empowered to define just what an 'abnormality' is? Should left handed people be considered 'abnormal'? Those with two different colored eyes? Why should those comfortable with their own naturally occurring traits that harm no one else be punished for what others may consider 'abnormal'?

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The only thing I agree with is deviancy is a mental condition.
I've seen enough of your posts to know you think homosexuality is a sin.

But let me ask you this? What is the extend of God's power and influence on us as individuals? Does God create us each individually? Most answer I hear are yes. This implies that he programs our minds specifically for us. The person who excels at math due to a mental condition excels because God decided it to be so. This also means he creates mental conditions then, yes?

Because I'm sure you except that someone can't help that they have a mental condition. It's out of their control. So the one who created the person is responsible. Thus God creates the mental condition that make deviants, and then sends them to Hell for making them have exclusive attraction to the same sex. And you worship this guy...

Unless God doesn't create us individually, of course. But then why does everyone thank God when they make an accomplishment, a phenomenon I call 'Arrogant Humility.' It's when someone tries to make it about someone else, in this case God, but still really just makes it about them because God helped THEM get to where they are. God answered THEIR prays. Who knows why God didn't come to rescue the people at Charleston church or why the devoted Christians still got shot for being in the wrong neighborhood. But God answers this person's prayer so now they can make $75,000 a year instead of $70,000. Because God is all loving.

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I don't think the answer is that simple. I believe being gay is the result of both genetic variation and environment. For some, it is genetic, for some, pure environmental influence (for example, being raped or molested when the person was a little kid), for some, it is the combination of both.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And who should be empowered to define just what an 'abnormality' is? Should left handed people be considered 'abnormal'? Those with two different colored eyes? Why should those comfortable with their own naturally occurring traits that harm no one else be punished for what others may consider 'abnormal'?
You're just being silly now. Left handed as opposed to homosexual? LOL.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Abnormal is misused. It literally just means 'not the norm.' Too many use that as if to say it's wrong, which is a character judgement to those people. They were that kid at school who picked on the kid who wore the abnormal clothes, probably because that's what he could afford.

The thing is, a lot of things are abnormal. Some are more prominent, but that doesn't mean much. It's abnormal to be over 6'6'', but when was the last time it as debated rather or not being abnormally tall was immoral or wrong in some way?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think the answer is that simple. I believe being gay is the result of both genetic variation and environment. For some, it is genetic, for some, pure environmental influence (for example, being raped or molested when the person was a little kid), for some, it is the combination of both.
I agree to a point, but I think the people born gay are that way and that's it. I think there have been many miserable people throughout history born gay but pressured into straight lives. They and their loved ones lived miserable lives because of it I'm sure.

So because of that, I am very happy for gay rights and the fact that people no longer have to keep it a secret and can be who they are. But again, any responsible parent would prevent that if they could. They may SAY they wouldn't, but in that office with the Dr in privacy 99.9% of them would say "yes, repair that gene".

That is if it's ever possible.

But then you have the mentally unbalanced people who identify with gay people and change themselves for whatever reason. Maybe they like the attention, maybe they feel they can't survive in the straight world they were born to be in. I have no idea but I would bet half are not born gay. Especially these days were homosexuality is glorified on TV, especially aimed at teens.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
read the entire article from top to bottom. and I mean the link.
It's not scientific. Just because it depicts itself as scientific, doesn't mean that it actually is. Science has to explain the anomalies. And has been pointed out to you, genetic anomalies that cause early death, that cause impotence and infertility, that cause low sex drive, persist, even though, according to your article they should have died out by now. If your article cannot explain why these genetic conditions continue to persist in a small percentage of the human population, then the article cannot explain why a combination of genetic factors creating homosexuality would not continue to persist in a small percentage of the human population.

Science, SCIENCE, cannot ignore facts it doesn't like. But that's what the writers of your article are doing. They are ignoring that there are an entire range of genetic anomalies that, while relatively rare, persist generation after generation after generation.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Sorry that flew right over your head, I don't see what your dominant hand is or your sexual orientation being much different, I know I made no choice of either one and see no reason to believe others have either.

Being Left-Handed: origins and consequences

From the article: stigmatized and socially excluded

The issue of left-handers remains a mystery to science. For many years they were considered abnormal by an ignorant, full of prejudices society and were forced to write with their right hand by parents and teachers.

The imperatives of the Christian religion dictate the faithful not to cross himself with his left hand. A range of evidence from the religious texts suggests that this group of people is in a “dark path”.

Seems that " ignorant, full of prejudices society " has just moved on to new targets.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 AM

I struggle with my weight at times. I'm 6'2 and have hit close to 250 before. I have to watch what I eat every day and this damn sweet tooth...if I could have had a Dr stop the gene that makes people want sweets and bad foods I would have that done for my children in a heartbeat.

You do what you can for your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies