Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 PM

863 posts, read 1,197,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Oh boy, this thread has hit some raw nerves. Just shows you the demographics of these forums here, which in turn explain some of the views expressed in the various forums.

At any rate, it is silly to revoke a driver's license at a preset age. Most independent elderlies need a vehicle to go anywhere, to get groceries, see family and friends, visit doctors, so on. It's their lifeline. You can't take that away unless there is a compelling safety reason to.

I am not opposed to a less-than-comprehensive driving test every few years after a certain age, just to ensure their competence and basic safe awareness. But it shouldn't be more than an examiner just tagging along for a drive. And a vision test update.

Mick
This thread has hit some raw nerves and understandably so. I think it scares many of our older members to think about a future without driving. That also is understandable. However, the wrinklies posting here are not representative of the elderly population at large. With a nod to our more senior members, you folks are a cut above. You have either embraced or fought your way through the ever changing maze of technology that makes you able to express your thoughts on this forum. I applaud you. By the same token, you must recognize that within your demographic (let's say 70+) you are exceptional in that respect. You are not just casual internet users like many of your peers ie. checkers of email or news, you are participants here. It's not rocket science but for folks born before 1945, it's pretty close.

So - you (collectively) are probably great drivers but think about some of the others of your generation out there.......some are downright scary. A simple trip to the local supermarket on any given weekday, especially before noon, can certainly underline what I'm talking about. Just sit and watch the traffic in and out of the store parking lot. At times it can look like the night of the living dead on wheels. Granted, most of them aren't dangerous........aggravating maybe but not dangerous. They're often very slow and cautious as befits people who don't trust their reaction times any more but what happens when those people are caught in a driving situation where fast thinking is demanded? That's when bad things happen.

I think it would be wrong to test people solely on the basis of age but would it really be that terrible to have to do a simple ride along drive with a DMV person and a quick vision test after an accident or moving violation?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
This thread has hit some raw nerves and understandably so. I think it scares many of our older members to think about a future without driving. That also is understandable. However, the wrinklies posting here are not representative of the elderly population at large. With a nod to our more senior members, you folks are a cut above. You have either embraced or fought your way through the ever changing maze of technology that makes you able to express your thoughts on this forum. I applaud you. By the same token, you must recognize that within your demographic (let's say 70+) you are exceptional in that respect. You are not just casual internet users like many of your peers ie. checkers of email or news, you are participants here. It's not rocket science but for folks born before 1945, it's pretty close.

So - you (collectively) are probably great drivers but think about some of the others of your generation out there.......some are downright scary. A simple trip to the local supermarket on any given weekday, especially before noon, can certainly underline what I'm talking about. Just sit and watch the traffic in and out of the store parking lot. At times it can look like the night of the living dead on wheels. Granted, most of them aren't dangerous........aggravating maybe but not dangerous. They're often very slow and cautious as befits people who don't trust their reaction times any more but what happens when those people are caught in a driving situation where fast thinking is demanded? That's when bad things happen.

I think it would be wrong to test people solely on the basis of age but would it really be that terrible to have to do a simple ride along drive with a DMV person and a quick vision test after an accident or moving violation?
I am 64 years young. I can tell you that my reaction time has slowed a tad. That said, when I was younger my reaction time was lightning fast. Unfortunately my reactions were as wrong often times as they were fast. My point being, what seniors lack in reaction time, they often times make up for in skill and judgement. Yes, they do drive slower, but why didn't you leave 5 minutes earlier if you were in such a big hurry? I don't see myself losing my driving privileges anytime soon, but sooner or later we all do. Either voluntarily or by order of the state. I am just not sure that limiting this testing to seniors is a fair answer.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I am 64 years young. I can tell you that my reaction time has slowed a tad. That said, when I was younger my reaction time was lightning fast. Unfortunately my reactions were as wrong often times as they were fast. My point being, what seniors lack in reaction time, they often times make up for in skill and judgement. Yes, they do drive slower, but why didn't you leave 5 minutes earlier if you were in such a big hurry? I don't see myself losing my driving privileges anytime soon, but sooner or later we all do. Either voluntarily or by order of the state. I am just not sure that limiting this testing to seniors is a fair answer.
i am 56 and my reaction times have not slowed as yet, but there again i have much better judgement than when i was 18, so i dont need the quicker reaction times, since i tend to look ahead and see what might be going on so i can prepare for any eventuality.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:13 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yes, they do drive slower, but why didn't you leave 5 minutes earlier if you were in such a big hurry? I don't see myself losing my driving privileges anytime soon, but sooner or later we all do. Either voluntarily or by order of the state. I am just not sure that limiting this testing to seniors is a fair answer.
Why should someone have to leave the sanctuary of their home earlier because a retired person has forgotten what it's like to be a part of the rat race ? I don't understand this "I don't work anymore so I can drive like I'm on vacation everyday" mentality. What about consideration for those still working at their various places of enslavement ?

And the "Just leave earlier" camp: You must be more psychic than I am if you know that by leaving exactly 5 minutes earlier is going to get a person where their going on time lol You never know who you're going to get stuck behind. Using the "just leave earlier" method you endorse could mean anything from 5 to 30 to hours earlier..so how does one choose WHICH. Do they draw straws ? Pull a rabbit out of a hat, perhaps consult their magic 8 ball ?

No. Much better for senior drivers to come out of La La land and remember that people still work and they need to go the speed limit.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You can test me, take my license, take away my keys, sell my car. As long I have the money to buy another car and pay the fines and can physically drive, I'll be on the road when I want to. You had best get used to me driving.
And people call young people selfish. I thought age was supposed to gain you some zenlike wisdom or something like that. I can think of few things more selfish than insisting on continuing to drive when you know full well theres a reason they took your license away in the first place.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Why should someone have to leave the sanctuary of their home earlier because a retired person has forgotten what it's like to be a part of the rat race ? I don't understand this "I don't work anymore so I can drive like I'm on vacation everyday" mentality. What about consideration for those still working at their various places of enslavement ?

And the "Just leave earlier" camp: You must be more psychic than I am if you know that by leaving exactly 5 minutes earlier is going to get a person where their going on time lol You never know who you're going to get stuck behind. Using the "just leave earlier" method you endorse could mean anything from 5 to 30 to hours earlier..so how does one choose WHICH. Do they draw straws ? Pull a rabbit out of a hat, perhaps consult their magic 8 ball ?

No. Much better for senior drivers to come out of La La land and remember that people still work and they need to go the speed limit.
I'm retired, and I drive the speed limit. Isn't the legal speed limit fast enough for you?

And any driver who obeys the law has just as much right to drive as you, and probably more, because I bet you're one of the ones breaking the laws.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:

I'm good with the speed limit, but if I'm running the speed limit and you are behind be getting aggravated that I am not driving 10 miles an hour over, then it really sucks to be you... There are also minimum speed limits on the interstate system. If someone is driving above the minimum, then you really don't have a complaint there either. Like I said.. Keep your eyes up and looking down the road and you can adjust earlier instead of texting and looking at your lap. Your lack of judgement and failure to plan ahead for the unseen instance of a delay does not constitute an emergency on my behalf..

Old 07-12-2015, 07:53 PM

Again...you must be more psychic than I am. You are also wrong. I don't go over the speed limit OR text while driving.
The fact is in this day and age of overpopulation we need to prioritize driving. That means that working people should come first.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Again...you must be more psychic than I am. You are also wrong. I don't go over the speed limit OR text while driving.
The fact is in this day and age of overpopulation we need to prioritize driving. That means that working people should come first.
Bull toddy.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
My dad is 88 and knows he can't drive much longer. It's his hips which effect his legs and in turn his feet. It's getting to a point where he can't maneuver himself into position to drive. He's really depressed about it.

I don't know how I feel about the subject, everyone is unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies