Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with Donald Trump on the need to build a wall between Mexico and the U.S.?
I agree that we need to build a wall. 121 79.08%
I disagree that we need to build a wall. 32 20.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would like to know how anyone would plan to pay for a 2,000 mile wall that is strong enough to keep people from climbing over it or tunneling under it? Conservatives complain about the escalating budget but how do you intend to pay for a 2,000 mile wall that would probably cost into the trillions to make and maintain?

and then there is the problem with the Gulf of Mexico and other entry ports...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
Build a wall and place our military along it. Hire unemployed Americans to go down there and build it so they get off wellfare and learn some construction that can help get them jobs or start their own businesses after it is done.

I kind of like the alligator filled trench along it as well!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would like to know how anyone would plan to pay for a 2,000 mile wall that is strong enough to keep people from climbing over it or tunneling under it? Conservatives complain about the escalating budget but how do you intend to pay for a 2,000 mile wall that would probably cost into the trillions to make and maintain?
The double layered wall approved by congress but never funded was to be along only 700 miles of our southern border in the most porous places. The Border Patrol could take care of the rest. We spend billions on illegal aliens annually. A good physical barrier would be a one time expense. Allowing illegal aliens to crash our border by the millions till eternity would be a lot more costly. The wall would not cost trillions. Where are getting that?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
First we can build one around Washington D.C.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The only advantage to building a wall would be the jobs created building and maintaining it. It still would do nothing to prevent "tourists" from overstaying their visas.
Wrong, read my prior post. The visa over staying problem is a separate problem and should be addressed separately with a better tracking system.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I usually agree with you but not on this. It isn't only those looking for work coming here but criminals, drug dealers and would be terrorists. None of the above will deter those groups from coming in here. The double layered wall on the most porous parts of our southern border would deter them all. It was approved by congress already but never funded. Go figure. It would help the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively. This same type of wall was built on a sector of our San Diego border and it cut illegal immigration back to a trickle so it does work.

The other things you mentioned coupled with the wall will indeed deter the job and benefit seekers though.

Here's an article about the wall.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works
But the thing is the criminals are coming as associates of the illegals looking for work. They blend in and hide within the illegal alien 'community'. If you disincentive the larger illegal alien population from coming you'd stop a lot of the criminals too and they'd be easier to weed out.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Here is an Amazon link to a documentary about the Mexican wall:

Amazon.com: The Fence: Fence (2011), Rory Kennedy, Liz Garbus and Kevin McAlester: Movies & TV

Now, I do not think that a documentary (by a Kennedy!) is the 'last word'. However, it does point out that in many places the 'wall' does little good.

Plus, as I have pointed out previously (and by posters herein), the Southern border is huge, 2,000 miles, with at least one huge lake in the middle.

It is easy for Mr. Trump to say "I can build a wall", but wholly different to put into practice. Walls (or fences) can be, and are, expensive. They can also (as shown in the documentary) be rather easy to 'climb over' (ladders!) or dig under (Mexicans with shovels!).

Of course, I am a bit biased. Born and raised in Texas, I have been around 'illegals' for two generations. I worked with them in a iron foundry and, I suspect, they are currently putting on my new, hail-damaged roof. Over the decades, the illegals I met were more interesting in making money to send back home. I certainly do not fear their taking my lawyer-based job.

Yet, I do not approve of 'open borders'. I agree with those who state that some solution must be found. I just don't think that building a 'wall' of 2,000 miles is wise, or effective.

It is easy to criticize, but darn hard to offer effective solutions.
You're another one who needs to read my prior post about this. The double wall on a sector of our San Diego border cut illegal immigration down to a trickle. There was no plan to build it on 2,000 miles of our southern border. I can't believe how ill-informed some people are. The plan was to build it on 700 miles of our most porous parts of the border. The Border Patrol can handle the rest. No, they can't climb over it with ladders or dig under it. You just don't understand what kind of wall we are talking about. We have tunnel sensors also. Illegal aliens costs us billions a year and they keep pouring in here more every year. A good physical barrier would be a one time expense.

Ah, now the truth comes out. You really don't care that illegals are here. Shame on you. While they are sending money back home to their families they took a job from an American who needs to feed his family but I guess they don't count, right?

There are plenty of solutions it is just that those who have a vested interest in illegal aliens (and apparently you are one of them) don't want the solutions such a good physical barrier and removing all of the incentives for them to remain here and to continue to come here.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:47 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
The wall would pay for itself. If it doesn't we should charge an excise tax on liberals who believe in open borders. Let them pay for their foolishness for a change.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're another one who needs to read my prior post about this. The double wall on a sector of our San Diego border cut illegal immigration down to a trickle. There was no plan to build it on 2,000 miles of our southern border. I can't believe how ill-informed some people are. The plan was to build it on 700 miles of our most porous parts of the border. The Border Patrol can handle the rest. No, they can't climb over it with ladders or dig under it. You just don't understand what kind of wall we are talking about. We have tunnel sensors also. Illegal aliens costs us billions a year and they keep pouring in here more every year. A good physical barrier would be a one time expense.

Ah, now the truth comes out. You really don't care that illegals are here. Shame on you. While they are sending money back home to their families they took a job from an American who needs to feed his family but I guess they don't count, right?

There are plenty of solutions it is just that those who have a vested interest in illegal aliens (and apparently you are one of them) don't want the solutions such a good physical barrier and removing all of the incentives for them to remain here and to continue to come here.
Tell me how you run that wall down almost a thousand miles of the Rio Grande.

And I think the people of Texas have to agree. The double wall has to be on the US side and says the Texams agree to give up their access to the river. Show me where that was agreed to.

I also believe their have been dozens of successful tunnel incursions in the tightly regulated SD section. Is this wrong? Cite a source.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You need a ditch instead of a wall.

A ditch is more aesthetic looking. You can make the ditch 100' wide and 100' deep. Put pretty flowers and plants and trees in the bottom of the ditch along with alligators and wolves and coyotes.

You can hail it as a biologically diverse ecosystem.

Entrenching...

Mircea

I suggest piranha..They multiply quickly and are a very effective deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies