Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times

Advertisements

Much worse than initially reported:

Quote:
The agency, meanwhile, remains under intense fire after its contractors accidentally breached a dam at the mine last week and sent toxic sludge flowing into the Animas River. The contaminated water has spread to New Mexico, Arizona and Utah, and EPA officials were forced to concede that more than 3 million gallons were released into the river — a much higher amount than the agency’s initial estimate of 1 million gallons.

The fluid contains lead, arsenic and other heavy metals.
Gold King Mine spill exposes Obama hypocrisy, threatens EPA credibility, critics say - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
The Navajo Nation is planning a lawsuit.

The EPA still hasn't released the full report telling people the levels of heavy metals in the river. People who rely on drinking water from the Animas or well water near the Animas are in big trouble. People who have cattle that drink from the river and people who farm and irrigate their land with water from the river are going to be hurting big time. There is no reason why the report on metals in the river is taking so long.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:21 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

The EPA still hasn't released the full report telling people the levels of heavy metals in the river. People who rely on drinking water from the Animas or well water near the Animas are in big trouble. People who have cattle that drink from the river and people who farm and irrigate their land with water from the river are going to be hurting big time. There is no reason why the report on metals in the river is taking so long.
Maybe the problem will just go away.

The important thing is not to panic.

Just pipe water down from Lake Michigan, and recycle that Prozac!

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-11-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Guess they need to heavily fine themselves.

Federal environmental officials have confirmed the mustard-colored muck that surged into a river from a Colorado mine contained heavy metals including lead and arsenic, but they didn't immediately discuss amounts or health risks.

It's OK, their intentions were good so the consequences don't matter.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

It is time to take down the EPA

Pollution flowing faster than facts in EPA spill - CNN.com

I wonder if those who went after BP will be out in force against the EPA?

I chalk them up to being Hypocrites.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
It's OK, their intentions were good so the consequences don't matter.
That's the important thing.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

Every taxpayer who lives near or relies on that River should sue the EPA.
What a total disaster of an agency.

Libertarians need to step up and decimate the IRS and EPA - Two Corrupt Failed Government Agencies.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
I thought they were suppose to protect the environment.. they must be a bunch of far left thinkers with half a brain to do this .. what a world

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
I believe it was the Colorado mine that created the toxic chemicals, not the EPA.

This wouldn't be a story if the mine had taken responsibility for safely disposing of the toxic chemicals they created.

A very good comment at the end of the article relating to this event:
Quote:
The mine was abandoned leaving the waste (the company probably pulled all profits and as much investment out and left the mine to go bankrupt leaving the waste) that the EPA was cleaning up. This is only a small portion of the waste that was draining into a holding area to be remediated. A plug got knocked out accidentally causing the spill which was stopped as soon as possible. Thanks private industry for creating this mess the EPA has to clean up and thanks right wingers for defunding the EPA so they have trouble doing their job leading to spills like this. You don't hear anyone calling for the end to the free market for creating the waste and not cleaning up after itself do you?
http://www.koaa.com/story/29737250/e...s-heavy-metals

Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Maybe the problem will just go away.

The important thing is not to panic.

Just pipe water down from Lake Michigan, and recycle that Prozac!
I think the EPA is hoping that when the river looks clear again, people will believe that the problem is also gone. They are already saying that the river will be closed through Aug 17th. People would be foolish to get right back in as soon as it opens.

It's true, the people in the region could take a dip in the "healing waters" of Lake MI and drown their sorrows in anti-depressants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies