Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,974,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I believe it was the Colorado mine that created the toxic chemicals, not the EPA.

This wouldn't be a story if the mine had taken responsibility for safely disposing of the toxic chemicals they created.

A very good comment at the end of the article relating to this event:
EPA confirms Colorado mine spill contains heavy metals - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

The EPA created the toxic spill and the damage is a catastrophe that will effect millions of people, wildlife, food production, drinking water and the general environment for decades to come. These heavy metals are lethal in minute concentrations where even when the water turns clear the deadly toxins will still exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Every taxpayer who lives near or relies on that River should sue the EPA.
Agreed.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
The mine was abandoned 100 years ago.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
The EPA created the toxic spill and the damage is a catastrophe that will effect millions of people, wildlife, food production, drinking water and the general environment for decades to come. These heavy metals are lethal in minute concentrations where even when the water turns clear the deadly toxins will still exist.
Good point! We need to close down factories and mines that create these toxic chemical that are lethal in minute concentrations!

Old 08-11-2015, 10:12 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Actually they are - Sunnyside Gold Corp, a subsidiary of Kinross Gold ($3.8 billion in revenue). Prior to this accident they had been fighting the EPA over having this are designated a superfund site, which would have put them on the hook for the cleanup.
I can't find any evidence that sunnyside gold corp was in existence 92 years ago.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
The groups opposing superfund status are the local towns and cities who rely on tourism and the river for their economy. Superfund status could potentially shut down all recreational river use.

That was in the news last night. I doubt highly that the mine owners from 1900 are still in business or that any company in mining would oppose superfund clean-up dollars.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
When a corporation has an accident they're ripped by the EPA, some rightfully so, but the EPA does it and all the head of the organization can say is that mistakes happen.
Your corporations are (in the words of Trump) not babies, they are killers.

This comment summarizes the entire situation:
Quote:
This mine was just one of hundreds of abandoned mining sites that have been left for the taxpayers to clean up. This kind of situation is what prompted the creation of the Superfund legislation, which required that companies declare all abandoned hazardous waste sites and pay into a fund to clean up the messes they've left behind. But during the Bush Administration, companies were absolved of the requirement that they pay into the Fund, and all they have to do is declare these sites to the EPA. The thing big mining companies do now is operate under a smaller subsidiary until they've exhausted a site, then sell it off (along with the liability for the site) to some temporary company that can go into bankruptcy. So We the People and our EPA have poisonous abandoned places all over the country that we're trying to clean up, while many of the people who profited from creating them try to cut funding for the very departments cleaning up their messes. Perhaps we should be giving props to the EPA that we don't see this kind of mishap from them very often, considering how many sites our corporate "citizens" have left behind.
EPA confirms Colorado mine spill contains heavy metals - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good point! We need to close down factories and mines that create these toxic chemical that are lethal in minute concentrations!

Go through the house and get all your batteries to the recycle company. Turn off your AC and Fridge. Get rid of your car.

Pretty much every industry uses chemicals.

There isn't anything wrong with the EPA in general. What's wrong with the logic from the Left is that they still think every corporation is driven by profit and that any accident is intentional and requires big fines and penalties. The EPA and the ACE have made huge blunders and caused huge damage to the environment - this is just one incident - and they never take responsibility. And of course, it was always an "accident".

Old 08-11-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Go through the house and get all your batteries to the recycle company. Turn off your AC and Fridge. Get rid of your car.

Pretty much every industry uses chemicals.

There isn't anything wrong with the EPA in general. What's wrong with the logic from the Left is that they still think every corporation is driven by profit and that any accident is intentional and requires big fines and penalties. The EPA and the ACE have made huge blunders and caused huge damage to the environment - this is just one incident - and they never take responsibility. And of course, it was always an "accident".
What did companies do with all their toxic waste before the EPA was established?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:39 AM

This thread reminds me of something. The EPA is being blamed for the toxic chemicals that a corporation created because the EPA didn't clean them up fast enough. Remember when the right blamed Obama for GWB's mess because Obama didn't clean it up fast enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies