Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Dubya was in power during the last recession.
With a Democratic Congress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Republicans are great with lying to the people. No new taxes, trickle down economics, getting into war thinking it creates a better Economy. Etc. they run the country into the ground then blame the Democrats. Look how the Republicans are like a bunch of little children, treating Obama like crap. Trying to undermine the Iran negotiations by sending that treasonous letter signed by Republicans. No bar is too low for these guys. Just when you think you've heard it all the Republicans come out with some new stupidity. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic....

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Republicans are great with lying to the people. No new taxes, trickle down economics, getting into war thinking it creates a better Economy. Etc. they run the country into the ground then blame the Democrats. Look how the Republicans are like a bunch of little children, treating Obama like crap. Trying to undermine the Iran negotiations by sending that treasonous letter signed by Republicans. No bar is too low for these guys. Just when you think you've heard it all the Republicans come out with some new stupidity. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic....
https://polination.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=362&h=358

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-15-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Trickle: small, gentle stream...that was small. There are more minimum wage and other low pay job openings around here than I have seen in many years.
That is trickle down.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A large portion of that "profit" has been created in the stock market.
There is definitely some overvaluation in the stock market, but businesses have simply become more productive using less which accounts for a lot of that increase.

Quote:
The same stock market the government injected trillions of dollars into while doing nothing to next to nothing for the middle and lower classes.
Except for those that own stocks. It's unfortunate that our monetary policy of QE didn't have a solid fiscal policy to pump up demand for the smaller businesses. I certainly took advantage of that easy money since I have good credit, but unfortunately there are many folks who weren't able to do poor money management.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Lets remember that in the closing months of the Bush Administration the economy was shedding 700,000 jobs a month. Since 2008 small business which is the real engine of job creation has not been able to get loans. Loans are used for expansion. Expansion is used in hiring new employees.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a whopper from the Washington Post:

Look at the employment / population ratio during the two Bush recessions. We didn't even recover from the first recession when we got hit with the second. Lou Dobbs a conservative commentator described this as the "War on the Middle Class".

Can you really ignore the obvious?
Actually, consumer demand wasn't high enough for many small businesses to justify expanding and/or investing in R&D. Austerity and those promoting it at the expense of better fiscal policy was no such a great idea then and now.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
There is definitely some overvaluation in the stock market, but businesses have simply become more productive using less which accounts for a lot of that increase.

Except for those that own stocks. It's unfortunate that our monetary policy of QE didn't have a solid fiscal policy to pump up demand for the smaller businesses. I certainly took advantage of that easy money since I have good credit, but unfortunately there are many folks who weren't able to do poor money management.
larger businesses have become more profitable by taking away the mom and pops profits.. Thats because the government allows rules to be written to favor the big large corporations, and Democrats applaud.. yaaaa, look at how the stock market is turning around...

despite the middle class being harmed, it doesnt matter to you guys..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
right right right..

an hour ago, trickle down was to blame...

now its globalization and technology
An "hour ago" you were saying trickle down never existed which is what I responded. When you keep moving the goal posts, you're gonna get answer that follows your movement.

Quote:
Actually all you did was now cite reasons why the Obama stimulus package, raising the minimum wage, increasing welfare etc, are DOOMED TO FAILURE..
So you're in favor of lowering our standard of living to that closer to China than Germany? That's the alternative to providing welfare and keeping the current standard of living.

The free market can be a cruel mistress.

Quote:
Liberal answer.. LETS DO MORE OF IT.. then we can blame those who warned you that it would result in less people working, increasing wealth for the few etc...
And the opposite is true. Supply side economics sends capital overseas where most of the growth is. Personally I prefer pragmatism and a balanced approach.

Quote:
Buffet loves people like you..
And I like Warren Buffet too, he takes a long term approach to investment that would benefit the country if more people didn't put short term growth over long term growth. Smart man.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
larger businesses have become more profitable by taking away the mom and pops profits.. Thats because the government allows rules to be written to favor the big large corporations, and Democrats applaud.. yaaaa, look at how the stock market is turning around...
Is that right? It has nothing to do with larger companies having a built in advantage over mom and pop stores?

Quote:
despite the middle class being harmed, it doesnt matter to you guys..
Whatever happened to personal responsibility? You have any idea how much private debt the middle class is in?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
An "hour ago" you were saying trickle down never existed which is what I responded. When you keep moving the goal posts, you're gonna get answer that follows your movement.
Trickle down doesnt exist, since the money doesnt belong to the government.. I didnt move the goal post, I'm LAUGHING at you guys for blaming a theory that does not even exist..
Quote:
So you're in favor of lowering our standard of living to that closer to China than Germany? That's the alternative to providing welfare and keeping the current standard of living.
Um, by design, welfare actually lowers the standard of living.. When Clinton CUT welfare, it INCREASED the standard of living in the nation.. the OPPOSITE of what you left wing kooks like to claim.

I'm curious how the fk, maintaining poverty is, according to you, raising the standard of living for americans.
Quote:
The free market can be a cruel mistress.
For those who expect something from it, without being involved..
Quote:
And the opposite is true. Supply side economics sends capital overseas where most of the growth is. Personally I prefer pragmatism and a balanced approach.
When welfare removes individuals from the work force, it encourages businesses to go overseas in order to avoid taxes to pay for it, and thus when they go overseas, we get less revenues and higher expenses due to less people working.

Businesses chase a cap rate on profits, they dont give a crap how the costs are justified to those that offer no benefit to their bottom line
Quote:
And I like Warren Buffet too, he takes a long term approach to investment that would benefit the country if more people didn't put short term growth over long term growth. Smart man.
Warren Buffet bought up a bunch of companies that their previous OWNERS looked at long term approaches.. This kook theory you guys come up with that business owners will jeopardize the next decade of profits for short term gain is utterly ridiculous..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies