Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
The South is sorta like that drunken relative that shows up every Thanksgiving, that you are totally embarrassed by. But with them, they show up to an election every 4 years... and cause a whole lot more problems.
The Democrats will only run in the south during the primary. None of them will be seen here after Super Tuesday. It would be a waste of time and money for them to try and win a state down here. The good news is that they do not need any southern states to win in November. They just need one more state than they got last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
And you think 2 more years gives Hillary vast experience?
Two more years? Please. This is the "you'll get two for the price of one" former first lady who was also tasked with forming committees on health care. But, that's where the Obama supporters can't seem to make up their minds -- on one hand, they're claiming the Clintons (note plural) are Washington establishment and not capable of effecting change and on the other hand, they're saying that Hillary hasn't much more experience than Obama. You can't have it both ways.

I know they're supreme politicians and that's why I'm supporting her. As much as Americans claim they hate real politicians, it takes one to know how to get things done. As much as I respect Jimmy Carter as a humanitarian and truly good man, he was a lousy president because he didn't understand Washington politics and didn't want to play the game. Bush hasn't had a clue, either, and relied too heavily on his advisors and cabinet.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:18 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
For years, I have been hearing about the new South. That no longer does the region of the country view every single subject through the prizm of race, race, and more race. South Carolina will be telling here.
This is one of the problems we face when dealing with subject such as these. We assume that the "South" is some homogeneous group of people whom all share the same point of view, ideals, and attitudes just because they reside south of the Mason Dixon line.

In Florida, the further south you go, the further north you get, as south of the i-4 corridor you have very large populations of ex-northerners from the North East. Middle of the state and you end up with northerners from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and other Midwestern states.

In other areas of the South, the attitudes and trends today vary greatly depending upon how rural or metro the given area is. In essence, there is no single "south", as it is a modern microcosms of our greater melting pot.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Um, so if we in the South don't vote for Obama it's because we're racist? Sorry, but I'm with 01Snake. We need someone with experience and political savvy to lead after the big mess this last one (who was voted in because people "liked" him) is leaving behind.

IMO, Obama jumped the gun. He should have served longer in the Senate and gotten more domestic and foreign-policy experience before running for president. If he had, I would gladly have voted for him.
What experience that Bush have before he was voted in? Apparently, experience, relevant, proven experience is not a criteria. Experience takes a back seat to VALUES, CHARACTER, AND A SOLID IDEOLOGICAL FOUNDATION THAT ENCOURAGES OPEN DIALOGUE, CONSENSUS, AND PROGRESSIVE THOUGHT. This is Obama. This was NOT Bush.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What experience that Bush have before he was voted in? Apparently, experience, relevant, proven experience is not a criteria.
That's exactly my point. I didn't vote for Bush but plenty of other people did because they thought he seemed like a nice, honest guy who wasn't a career politician (LOL, he's not a career anything!) and who promised to be a "uniter, not a divider." They didn't care that Bush didn't have experience because they wanted a fresh face and a seemingly nice guy. It's a gamble now, just as it was then, and one I'm not willing to take.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
The South is sorta like that drunken relative that shows up every Thanksgiving, that you are totally embarrassed by. But with them, they show up to an election every 4 years... and cause a whole lot more problems.
Man, I disagree totally -- and I'm a Damyankee!

The South is that historian who reminds you that there is more than one side to a story.

The South is that society that has diversity at every level -- and doesn't pen African-Americans up in ghettos.

The South is the kind of literature that is about real people and the things they do -- not about the author of the literature.

The South is pulled pork and ice-cold beer -- not asparagus quiche and lukewarm white wine.

The South is hugging people you know -- not kissing the air over their shoulder.

and most of all...

The South is that soldier that steps up when the country needs defending...

Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
I don't care what color Obama or any other candidate is. What matters to me is their political philosophy.

For that reason, I won't be voting for Obama, Hillary, Edwards, McCain or Huckabee.

They're all liberals!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:54 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Thumbs up Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

The South is that historian who reminds you that there is more than one side to a story.

The South is that society that has diversity at every level -- and doesn't pen African-Americans up in ghettos.

The South is the kind of literature that is about real people and the things they do -- not about the author of the literature.

The South is pulled pork and ice-cold beer -- not asparagus quiche and lukewarm white wine.

The South is hugging people you know -- not kissing the air over their shoulder.

and most of all...

Amen and God bless you, my friend. What an awesome post!!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Default You rock!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

and most of all...

SO right! I grew up in the Northeast but have become a daughter of the South, and am proud of it!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This is one of the problems we face when dealing with subject such as these. We assume that the "South" is some homogeneous group of people whom all share the same point of view, ideals, and attitudes just because they reside south of the Mason Dixon line.

In Florida, the further south you go, the further north you get, as south of the i-4 corridor you have very large populations of ex-northerners from the North East. Middle of the state and you end up with northerners from Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and other Midwestern states.

In other areas of the South, the attitudes and trends today vary greatly depending upon how rural or metro the given area is. In essence, there is no single "south", as it is a modern microcosms of our greater melting pot.
It is like that here in Georgia too. The further away from Atlanta you get, the more you see rednecks, trailers, confederate battle flags, pickup trucks and cross burnings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies