Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No....I don't share your beliefs. When I lived in Detroit there were 688 murders one year in the late 80's, 70 one December. Sometimes 3 or more people were killed by a gunman. Hey.....people kill for various reasons, money, drugs, women, retaliation, revenge, disgruntled worker, race.......I do not buy the mental illness thing. Guns make it easy. People have been killing for racial reasons for hundreds of years......its just one of many reasons people do it. killing is the American way....that is why they allow its citizens to be armed to the teeth.
You don't buy the mental illness thing, huh?

If guns "make it easy", then why aren't there MORE gun deaths in the US every year? If there are 300 million guns in the US -- and the number was higher than that in 2009 -- wouldn't you expect there to be more than 11,208 firearm homicides in the US in 2013?

FastStats - Homicide

The reason there aren't more than 11,208 firearm homicides is that the vast majority of these crimes are carried out -- like today, courtesy of the mentally disturbed overstuffed black guy -- by people with mental issues.

Antidepressants Are a Prescription for Mass Shootings | Citizens Commission on Human Rights, CCHR Citizens Commission on Human Rights, CCHR

Gun owners who are of sound mind don't just go randomly shooting people, because if they did, there would be HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of firearm homicides each year.

But there aren't.

But there ARE approximately 100,000 people each year who die due to..........medical mistakes in hospitals. 11,208 firearm homicides in 2013, and approximately 100,000 deaths within the walls of hospitals. Do we ever hear about "hospital control"? 11,208 firearm homicides vs. 100,000 deaths due to medical errors: which number is bigger? Which number fits an agenda?

Deaths by medical mistakes hit records | Healthcare IT News

You may not buy the mental illness thing, but that's more of a reflection of you than it is of the reality of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstertrendie View Post
The drugs are often what cause stuff like that. SSRIs induce akathisia, agitation, and violence ideation. Here are the Black Box warnings on the packagings for them:

Black box warnings of drugs approved by the US Food and Drug Administration - Drug Class Review: Second-Generation Antidepressants - NCBI Bookshelf

Could not agree more. You'll NEVER hear Obama -- or any of the 534 other idiots we have in D.C. -- discuss the role that BigPharma's products have in shooting crimes.

But it's there in a staggering percentage of shootings.

School Shootings and Psychiatric drugs federal investigation overdue | CCHR International

And to think that mass shootings really increased after Prozac came onto the market. But hey, in the words of Hillary Clinton, "I don't like Mondays, so what difference does it make?"

Old 08-26-2015, 11:20 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Communete View Post
That's why it pays to be situationally aware and vigilant, with effective means of self defense.
nobody would have stopped this or couldve stopped this, regardless of that weak excuse of being situationally aware and vigilant. you and i would've been dead regardless if we had a gun or not and you know it.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Dude's bonafide nut. The question is how did such a nut get a lethal weapon?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
#wlm.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:42 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Dude's bonafide nut. The question is how did such a nut get a lethal weapon?
What do you mean "how"...? He didn't have a criminal record and was never committed to a mental institution..... That's how. He had every legal Right to own a gun. How do you stop someone from buying a gun who hasn't yet committed a crime or been institutionalized?

The simple fact is, there are a lot of evil people in this world, and you can't legislate for evil people. You can't legislate for a switch going off in someone's head. There are no gun control laws, no mental health laws, no background checks that are going to prevent a situation like this.

The only way would be to ban guns outright so that no one can own one, but then, there are still 1000 other ways to kill people and be destructive if that's what one wants to do.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-27-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
The MSM is doing everything they can to keep from calling this a "hate crime". That is reserved for Whitey.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstertrendie View Post
The drugs are often what cause stuff like that. SSRIs induce akathisia, agitation, and violence ideation. Here are the Black Box warnings on the packagings for them:
Ahh this yet another version of the "Zoloft Defense". Also known as the Prozac Defense, Twinkie Defense, etc.

It has been thoroughly debunked in court cross examinations.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Default Journalists, nut jobs and guns

In no way do I intend to minimize the incident yesterday. I do have to take exception to a comment made by a family member/friend of the journalist.

Andy Parker also vowed "to do something about crazy people getting guns."
>> Read more trending stories

"I'm going to do something, whatever it takes, to get gun legislation – to shame people, to shame legislators into doing something about closing loopholes and background checks and making sure crazy people don't get guns," he said.
"This is not the last you've heard of me. This is something that is Alison's legacy that I want to make happen."

I have a few questions based on this short passage from the article posted at Father of slain journalist speaks out about gun laws in... | www.wpxi.com

1. Why does it have to be crazy people AND guns? Why not just crazy people? A former coworker is the one who pulled the trigger here. Gun or not, these two people would have been killed should the assailant truly be motivated. It seems he was.

2. While I sympathize with the loss of loved ones, why is legislation the first thing that comes to mind? If legislation is required, why not legislation dealing with mentally ill people? You don't apply Preparation H to your foot if you have the flu. Makes no sense, right?

3. "This is not the last you've heard of me." Is this about the person making the comment or mourning of the loss of a loved one? Had Alison been passionate about firearm legislation, or is this about Mr. Parker?

Again, not to minimize the loss, but, would it be more productive to make your cause treating mental illness rather than attacking guns? I cannot imagine the things these people are feeling right now, and I understand the quotes are perhaps based on emotion rather than reason. We have a pretty good idea of what led the shooter to snap. Why not examine that rather than focus on the gun? Understand why people shoot and you are moving in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Megyn Kelly did a exclusive interview with the father and boyfriend of the female reporter who was shot and killed. I watched this last night and felt something was not right with what I saw. This is the father who's daughter was just violently killed. This was the boyfriend. But neither acted as I would have expected given the tragedy. I would imagine the father and boyfriend would not even give an interview so soon, they would be very distraught and in mourning, but their demeanor was anything but ... and they both jumped on the anti-gun agenda????

This is exactly what happened after the Sandy Hook shooting where the parents didn't act normal or as expected after their children had just been killed ... they acted like bad actors ... and they all also jumped on the anti-gun agenda just like the Virgina shooting.

Something is real rotten here and it stinks to high heaven.

Exclusive: Alison Parker's father, boyfriend on tragedy

Old 08-27-2015, 04:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
nobody would have stopped this or couldve stopped this, regardless of that weak excuse of being situationally aware and vigilant. you and i would've been dead regardless if we had a gun or not and you know it.
The only way to have stopped this one would be to either live in a box or reassess how we deal with mental illness and even then this one might have slipped through the cracks.

Bad things are going to happen and some times there simply isn't anything you can do about it. I'm betting there were a ton of people standing around Bobby Kennedy and Reagan when they were shot with guns on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies