Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 07:01 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
So, she lied to the judge, promising not to interfere with marriage licenses of gay couples but now plans to block the licensing again? Sounds like a circus. The rally for her release (or whatever that awful show was, with Huck and that music, made me want to hurl....had to change the channel...) So, back to jail she goes...

Can the county get some relief by removing her from the position? I guess we have to endure her face on the news again....and see if she interferes with the marriage licenses to gay couples (again)....
I'm guessing that the problem is the county and state legislature either love her or are afraid of not getting reelected if they remove her, probably more than a few Mike Huckabee look alikes. The only downside is a few couples not getting a license, more votes from the religious right.

If this is true then the next step is for the courts to fine the county, that should get their attention.

Reminds me quite a bit of the City of Yonkers in NY refusing to comply with integrated housing order by the supreme court, a few million in fines helped them along.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-09-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I almost hope she gets thrown back in jail so I can watch Hucksterbee backtrack all over th eplace OR go to jail - either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think everyone is missing the point.

Kim Davis is being used by the anti-gay religious right wingers and groomed to be a "martyr." It's mostly not about the legalization of same sex marriage ... that already happened: the Supreme Court handed down a decision. Gay folks are getting legally married in every state in the US.

This is about energizing the Evangelical "Religious Right" in the coming primaries and caucuses in the Republican Party.

This is about money. Anti-gay organizations like the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), Liberty Council, and the Family Research Council have been losing funding and relevance since the Obergefell decision. NOM, especially is on the verge of bankruptcy (it didn't help when they had to pay $50,000 in fines to the state of Maine for violating that state's campaign finance laws.)
She IS being used and I wonder if she really knows it. That entire spectacle was disturbing on EVERY level; especially the part where she was laughing/crying/ and her arms raised in the air - one held by Hucksterbee and one by her Attorney.

I'm afaid this woman has some mental issues and she IS being used. Oh well, at lease Cruz got a photoop and Hucksterbee thinks he's revived his campaign from the dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just how many gay couples are there in this KY county looking to get married anyway? Or are gays just piling on to make a show of things and rub this woman's face in it?

Even if they indeed lived in the county why not just go to another, get the license and marry, end of story. What is so important about having one with Ms. Davis's name as the issuing official that is so valuable. It isn't as if the entire state of Kentucky is refusing to issue licenses to gays.
Who cares? Maybe they should just get in the back of the bus, sit at a separate lunch counter and have different drinking fountains too.

Why should a taxpayer go from county to county to do business? THEIR taxes are paying for that.

No.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
She was offered a deal to stay out of jail, then took the deal to get out of jail, now she's going to renege? Isn't lying against her principles?

Hope they kept her cot warm.

So she's standing by her "Christian" principles when not giving out marriage licenses to gay couples, but not enough to step down from an 80K a year job?

Priorities firmly in order, I see.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think what she did was disgusting and appauling.
I think it was horrific for her to be up on that podium with poeple cheeering her on, sickening, simply sickning.
She isnt a good person. Shes a religious fanatic, she isnt balanced right, clearley anyone with half a brain can see this.

id like to see her try something like that here in brooklyn NY, she'd get her hair ripped right out of her head....

she needs to be fired. whats wrong with this picture.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
She was offered a deal to stay out of jail, then took the deal to get out of jail, now she's going to renege? Isn't lying against her principles?

Hope they kept her cot warm.

So she's standing by her "Christian" principles when not giving out marriage licenses to gay couples, but not enough to step down from an 80K a year job?

Priorities firmly in order, I see.
I wonder what will happen if she tries to force her deputy clerks to stop issuing certificates? That will put them in a real bind--disobey the judge or disobey their boss.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I wonder what will happen if she tries to force her deputy clerks to stop issuing certificates? That will put them in a real bind--disobey the judge or disobey their boss.

Then she will wind up back in jail for contempt of court. She needs to choose either to do her 80K per anum job or not. If she chooses not to, then she should quit on principle.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
She'll be ordered back to jail.

The deputy clerks are supposed to report to the judge every 14 days, to say whether they've been issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.

Given her liking for confrontations on camera, I imagine we won't have to wait that long.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:07 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Here was his opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Kentucky Clerk Continues to Refuse To Issue Gay Marriage Licenses; Now Begs Supreme Court For Help-12002760_567915800023863_9138176104411026504_n.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.