Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

More like change and hope, 'change' being used as a verb rather than a noun.

then after the change takes place you need to HOPE it makes sense. Thus the admonishment, 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
After the previous 8 years of rule that was pretty much dominated by Cheney, yes he of a black heart who knew everything there was to know about the success we would quickly enjoy in Iraq, the ensuing 6 years have seen a correction & turnabout into the right direction imho.
Thankfully the warmongers, who always want to send somebody else, somebody else's children & grandchildren to war, are now only in power in Congress.
When asked in an interview about his Viet Nam era 5 deferments from service, Cheney replied, "..I had other priorities at the time." Nuff said!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:50 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
That's the lazy way out. You need to take personal responsibility for your claims. You want to take a position, you need to defend your position, not tell me that there's information somewhere out there.

Don't make other people do your work for you. Be a real American.
I already have.
The lazy way out is wanting me to do your work because you pretend to not have been here long enough to have seen it. I don't waste my time re-doing the work for someone who is uninterested but pretends to be just for the sake of arguing. It's a waste of my time.
An O-bot who is new with little post history might be able to fool me on that, but not someone with extensive post history.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I already have.
The lazy way out is wanting me to do your work because you pretend to not have been here long enough to have seen it. I don't waste my time re-doing the work for someone who is uninterested but pretends to be just for the sake of arguing. It's a waste of my time.
An O-bot who is new with little post history might be able to fool me on that, but not someone with extensive post history.
No, I'm actually genuinely confused. I gave you data showing an undeniable rise in white racism against blacks. We have well-documented evidence of taxpayer money being used by the government to mistreat and sometimes kill black people at a higher rate than other groups.

I'm sorry you live in such a tribal worldview that you think this is about left versus right. It's simply about right versus wrong.

There are those who want to pretend racism like this doesn't exist, or that racists are victims for being called out, but those who call racism out are not racist. I think that's the biggest mistake a lot of people detached from these matters don't realize.

Done. End of discussion.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How can you say "better choice" burdell? You can't prove a negative. You can't prove that McCain or Romney would have been worse because you simply don't know.
And you can't prove either one would have been better either, eh?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No, I'm actually genuinely confused. I gave you data showing an undeniable rise in white racism against blacks. We have well-documented evidence of taxpayer money being used by the government to mistreat and sometimes kill black people at a higher rate than other groups.

I'm sorry you live in such a tribal worldview that you think this is about left versus right. It's simply about right versus wrong.

There are those who want to pretend racism like this doesn't exist, or that racists are victims for being called out, but those who call racism out are not racist. I think that's the biggest mistake a lot of people detached from these matters don't realize.

Done. End of discussion.
"Tribal" is only looking at one side.
The government also has affirmative action, divides us by race, and uses it to interfere in peoples' lives. Minority-owned small businesses are given an advantage over those that are not.
You don't think many people believe that is all racist as well?
We still have most progressives who deny conservative groups were unfairly targeted by the IRS leading up to the 2012 election.

There's a much bigger picture. Looking at the larger problem instead of just one aspect or group is not being racist or denying racism exists, in many forms.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

As a doctor, I would recommend cutting back on your daily does of denial. The stimulus worked.
Once again: Yes, the stimulus worked. - LA Times
Do you know how many years out the stimulus money was being spent, that only about 12% of the entire stimulus was spent in 2009? Do you know what that 12% was spent on in 2009? Do you know that almost nothing was spent before June of 2009, when the recession ended?

ARRA Spending for 2009 Close to CBO's Estimate - CBO.gov

At the close of fiscal year 2009, agencies reported spending a little under $108 billion in ARRA funds, about 1 percent higher than CBOs initial estimate.

Half of the 2009 stimulus spending is attributable to two programs: $32 billion for Medicaid and $22 billion for unemployment insurance. A one-time payment to Social Security beneficiaries added another $13 billion; spending for financial assistance to states (from the new State Stabilization Fund) added $12 billion; and direct assistance to college students (mostly for Pell grants) added $7 billion. Together, those five programs account for almost 80 percent of stimulus spending in fiscal year 2009.

So, spending $91 billion out of the total $108 billion of stimulus, in 2009, was spent on Medicaid unemployment insurance, social security, Pell grants, is what you think turned the economy around?

Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Even on President Obama's absolute worst day, he would be better than either McCain or Romney would be on their absolute best day.

A majority of thinking people are well aware of this.
This is the single most flawed mindset that so many people on the left cling to. You just assume the most vile and nefarious motives of Republicans, create the worst possible scenarios will occur during their presidency.

This way, no matter how bad things are during the actual Obama presidency it does not matter because you have already convinced yourself, thru preconceived illusions and imagined scenarios of doom and gloom, that McCain or Romney would have been even worse.

Except that the reality is that Obama has record levels of debt, almost doubling our national debt, the past six years has been the slowest economic recover in US history, we have a fifty year high in the US poverty level, and it's all fine with you, because you already armored up yourself with the illusion that this crappy reality under Obama is "better than either McCain or Romney would be on their absolute best day."

Old 09-01-2015, 08:25 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Perhaps we live in an alternate universe. The universe that I live in had Obama take office in a bleakest economic environment in 80 years. After seven years that economy is completely turned around -- we aren't in boom times, but unemployment is down, GDP is up, stocks are up, etc. Moreover, interest rates are low, so it's easier to buy a house and inflation is low.

In addition, because of Obama's main achievement, the ACA, a record number of people have health insurance and the rates are lower than predicted.

I know the right-wing doesn't want to hear any of this because to them, the Obama years have been a time of policy disaster on every front. Yet the odd thing is that candidates on that GOP stage a few weeks ago, had almost nothing to say about any of the supposed disaster areas.

Trump has nothing much to offer besides bluster. His proposals are either vague or unworkable and there isn't much evidence that he knows the issues. But he talks tough, so the GOP base loves him.
First let me say that at this time I am not a supporter of Donald Trump.
That said, tell me what exactly this administration did that bolstered the economy in any way? The only thing I can see that the administration has done for the economy is to reward companies such as Solyndra for their support during his campaign. Small business is in trouble and small business is what drives this economy.

The ACA did put millions of people on health insurance. Those who benefited most are those who don't have to pay for it. Those who do have to pay for it, lost their existing coverage and received coverage in return that the deductibles are too high to use. So effectively they are paying for coverage that they don't really even have.

Moving right along, shall we talk about our foreign policy?
We are still in Afghanistan and for all intensive purposes we are still in Iraq. Our former allies no longer trust us, and our new allies stab us in the back. What did he promise would be the result of his presidency on the world stage? It simply hasn't come to fruition.

There is much talk about illegal immigration in this country. Now, I can't lay this at the feet of the Obama administration alone, but at the same time, the Obama administration has done nothing to reduce the problem and in fact has made the problem worse.

Now I don't mind you bashing the GOP. I do it myself, but lets be honest about what this administration has done.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
"Tribal" is only looking at one side.
The government also has affirmative action, divides us by race, and uses it to interfere in peoples' lives. Minority-owned small businesses are given an advantage over those that are not.
You don't think many people believe that is all racist as well?
We still have most progressives who deny conservative groups were unfairly targeted by the IRS leading up to the 2012 election.

There's a much bigger picture. Looking at the larger problem instead of just one aspect or group is not being racist or denying racism exists, in many forms.
When racism disappears, so too can those programs. I think they should shift to economic focus, myself, if they are to continue. But they exist because centuries of oppression doesn't go away overnight. You know that. The world wasn't fair to them for centuries and now it isn't totally fair to you for a much briefer time as a corrective measure.

And there was no proven targeting of Tea Party groups alone for political reasons. Just some good old fashioned government incompetence.

Only 1/3 of the applications set aside for further review were for conservative organizations and no applications were denied:

The IRS And The Tea Party: Probe Finds Big Bungling But Scant Fuel For Scandal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies