Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Israel won't use them unless attacked.

I believe Iran would use them in a preemptory strike.
Israel is about the same size as New Jersey and most Israelis live in a metropolitan strip along the coast from Haifa to Tel Aviv. A handful of nuclear strikes (less than a dozen) would kill the state of Israel and render it radiologically dangerous to any one there. Israel can't afford to wait to be attacked if anyone uses nuclear weapons first in the Middle East it will be ISRAEL

In 1973 Israel waited to be attacked and paid a heavy price in men and material . It was Israel's threat to use its much smaller and less sophisticated nuclear arsenal on Damascus, Cairo and Alexandria that drew the US into the Yom Kippur War in a big way, stripping USAF and Army units of their planes, tanks and ammo to make good Israel's losses. When the Soviets seemed to be preparing to send nuclear armed forces to Egypt and Syria America went to the highest nuclear alert short a war warning. The only other time we did this was October 1962.

Historical note: When the US came to Israel's rescue and Israel defeated Egypt and Syria. The Saudis were so angry that they imposed an oil embargo on states that supported Israel like The USA, Britain, The Netherlands, West Germany and Japan. The price of oil skyrocketed and America , Europe and Japan was thrown into a deep recession in 1974-5 , The price of gasoline nearly quadrupoled and inflation took off .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:40 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The current Iranian government hasn't. When the US Embassy was attacked, the Shah of Iran was in power. Check your history.

Wrongo, The Shah fled Iran in December 1978 after much of his army mutinied after he ordered it to put down the demonstrations in the streets of Tehran and other Iranian cities. The Shah and his family went to Egypt where Anwar el Sadat put him in a guest house at the request of the USA while the USA worked to arrange a place of exile other than the USA. Another US friend and ally General Omar Torrios of Panama stepped up (Omar got a nice pay check for his services) and the Shah got his Elba off the coast of Panama where a villa on a private island guarded by Panamaian troops with a private beach awaited The Shah. By February 1979 the Shah's government collapsed with his military and Ayatollah Khomeini traveled from Paris to Tehran and to Qom and a tumaltutous welcome home. Khomeini proclaimed the Islamic Republic with Khomeini as Supreme Religious Guide. By late summer early autumn The Islamic Republic had a President and Prime Minister who were acceptable the Supreme Religious Guide some elements of the Military had gone over to the Islamic Republic and through it all the US hadn't paniced and closed the Embassy. Then came trouble with a capital T. The Shah had late stage cancer and his family wanted to take him to one of our world class Cancer Hospitals to try and save his life. Jimmy Carter chose to let the Shah come to the US for treatment. The Iranians immediately demanded he be flown to Iran to face Justice for his crimes against the Iranian people. Carter refused knowing the Shah would be killed if sent back to Iran. Within hours of Carter's refusal the US Embassy was overrun by Islamic State militia and 'students" who took our people hostage (119 State Department, Military and CIA personnel ). Diplomatic immunity and the Extraterritoriality of Embassy property doesn't mean much when a foreign State choses not to respect them . The proper course of action would have been for Iran to break relations with The USA and give us the usual 48 hours to get our people out of there and destroy sensitive equipment papers, film tapes and files.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,488 times
Israel, Saudia and Iran are ruled by right wing radical local Tea Party religious fanatics. When you have religious right wingers in government, there are always more wars, deaths, and destruction because of religion.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:10 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Israel, Saudia and Iran are ruled by right wing radical local Tea Party religious fanatics. When you have religious right wingers in government, there are always more wars, deaths, and destruction because of religion.
Yes, sure, parliamentarian democracy is the same as religious dictatorships.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:47 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Israel is about the same size as New Jersey and most Israelis live in a metropolitan strip along the coast from Haifa to Tel Aviv. A handful of nuclear strikes (less than a dozen) would kill the state of Israel and render it radiologically dangerous to any one there. Israel can't afford to wait to be attacked if anyone uses nuclear weapons first in the Middle East it will be ISRAEL

In 1973 Israel waited to be attacked and paid a heavy price in men and material . It was Israel's threat to use its much smaller and less sophisticated nuclear arsenal on Damascus, Cairo and Alexandria that drew the US into the Yom Kippur War in a big way, stripping USAF and Army units of their planes, tanks and ammo to make good Israel's losses. When the Soviets seemed to be preparing to send nuclear armed forces to Egypt and Syria America went to the highest nuclear alert short a war warning. The only other time we did this was October 1962.

Historical note: When the US came to Israel's rescue and Israel defeated Egypt and Syria. The Saudis were so angry that they imposed an oil embargo on states that supported Israel like The USA, Britain, The Netherlands, West Germany and Japan. The price of oil skyrocketed and America , Europe and Japan was thrown into a deep recession in 1974-5 , The price of gasoline nearly quadrupoled and inflation took off .
Please document the bolded.

Israel never threatened any country with its nuclear arsenal. Israel neither confirms or denies its nuclear program, even in 1973. The United States was drawn into the conflict because of the Soviet'a sphere of influence, as well in defense of Israel. I don't need to go into detail about why the Yom Kippur War started, but the United States helped Israel win the war politically due to Camp David. Israel, more than handled themselves in the Sinai and the United States forced Israel to halt its forces against the weary Egyptians. Thanks to the cooperation of Israel, the Egyptians came into the sphere of the U.S and not the Soviets.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post

If Israel is threatened with nukes they will respond. With nukes. Period.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:55 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
try again, this time read the history of the iranian revolution;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

by the way, the shah of iran was in the US in the hospital undergoing treatment for cancer when the US embassy in iran was attacked, so there is NO WAY he could have ordered the attack. so you fail.
I said you were wrong about the current Iranian government attacking the USA.

You claimed that Iran attacked the US Embassy and hence this represents an attack by Iran against the United States.
  • Your own link says the hostages were taken on November 4th 1979.
  • The current Iranian government was not formally in power until December 3, 1979. and the Constitution not ratified until July 1982
Hence you were wrong. The current constitutional government of Iran has not attacked any country including the USA.

(I do admit I got it wrong about when the Shah left, and when the end of the provisional goverment that ruled for him went out of power.)

Old 09-12-2015, 02:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I said you were wrong about the current Iranian government attacking the USA.

You claimed that Iran attacked the US Embassy and hence this represents an attack by Iran against the United States.
  • Your own link says the hostages were taken on November 4th 1979.
  • The current Iranian government was not formally in power until December 3, 1979. and the Constitution not ratified until July 1982
Hence you were wrong. The current constitutional government of Iran has not attacked any country including the USA.

(I do admit I got it wrong about when the Shah left, and when the end of the provisional goverment that ruled for him went out of power.)
embassies around the world are considered foreign soil of the nationality that operates said embassy, thus the iranian government in power at the time, and that was NOT the shah, but the one that is currently running iran, did in fact attack the US. attacking an embassy is considered an act of war by the attacking nation against the nation whose embassy was attacked. thus the iranian government at the time, and still today committed an act of war against the US, and carter would have been well within his rights as potus to go after iran using military action.

had i been president at the time, i would have given iran an ultimatum, give us our people back forthwith, or start losing military assets in large quantities, starting with any naval installation in the persian gulf.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:07 PM

31,011 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Really? Pretty obvious, but I guess you purposely forgot about the Communist Leftist Mao and Stalin. the biggest killers in the history of the world. Sounds like "Leftist Atheist are the biggest threat to humanity" to me Hitler to Stalin: The most murderous regimes in the world | Daily Mail Online.

As an Atheist I don't hold many religions in high esteem, but I know that the vast majority of people in the US self identify as Christians, and guess what? They have made no attempt to kill me yet

Here's a good experiment for all of those that hold Christianity and Islam in the same light. Go to NYC, hold a sign up that says Jesus was a Lie. What happens? Nothing. Try the same thing in Mecca, Tehran or the capital of any Islamic republic with a sign saying Mohammad was a lie. You would be risking life and limb if you did.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 09-12-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 06:48 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Really? Pretty obvious, but I guess you purposely forgot about the Communist Leftist Mao and Stalin. the biggest killers in the history of the world. Sounds like "Leftist Atheist are the biggest threat to humanity" to me Hitler to Stalin: The most murderous regimes in the world | Daily Mail Online.

As an Atheist I don't hold many religions in high esteem, but I know that the vast majority of people in the US self identify as Christians, and guess what? They have made no attempt to kill me yet

Here's a good experiment for all of those that hold Christianity and Islam in the same light. Go to NYC, hold a sign up that says Jesus was a Lie. What happens? Nothing. Try the same thing in Mecca, Tehran or the capital of any Islamic republic with a sign saying Mohammad was a lie. You would be risking life and limb if you did.
Extreme religion is a huge cancer. The Christian crusades, Hitlers antisemite intentions to impose christian superiority over Jews, Islamic radicals, etc etc...millions of people have been slaughtered in the name of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies