Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Quoting chielgirl: Are you trying to say that every criminal, alcoholic, drug user, etc. was an "unwanted" child?! How on Earth can you make that assumption?!
I'm not making that assumption. You turned my comment around. I will state that unwanted kids are more prone to becoming gang members, drug users, etc. and marginalized. I didn't base my comments on class, which is how I see your response.

Quote:
The argument from your side is all about avoiding personal responsibility and trying to find excuses for making poor choices.In your view, criminals and addicts come from children who should have been aborted instead of being people who simply chose a wrong path and made bad choices. And, women should be able to abort as freely and as often as they like, even though there are dozens of methods available to prevent them from becoming pregnant in the first place, EVEN a morning-after pill if they have an "oops." .
Unless you’ve never been in a situation like that, remember yours are simply uninformed opinions.

Quote:
Someone said that science hasn't come up with a way of removing a fetus without killing it. HELLO! Science has come up with a plethora of birth control options to prevent there being a fetus in the first place! Women want control of their bodies -- you bet! Start with protecting those bodies, understanding our bodies, and making thoughtful decisions.
I absolutely agree. It would be nice if health classes in the schools provided honest information, not simply “just say no.” It would be nice if the parents actually taught their kids about sexuality. But it doesn’t happen. In a perfect world it would. This is not a perfect world.

Ask paramedics about women who are about to give birth and just then realize that a baby comes through WHAT?

Quote:
Use TWO or even THREE birth control methods if you're concerned there may be a chance of becoming pregnant. If you're taking prescription medications, make sure you know if those meds. decrease the efficacy of the Pill. If you know you don't want kids for several years, get one of the long-term birth control implants so you don't even have to worry about it. If you never want kids, have you or your partner sterilized. There are SO MANY choices these days that abortions should not have to be performed often.
Are you really being serious? So, if kids are given no information about their sexuality, and/or not taught about birth control measures available and how to use them, you’re expecting them to use 2 or 3 methods and be concerned about taking medications with them? Seriously? Weren’t you a teenager or in your early 20s and wild and stoned and make bad decisions? Now you’re going to pay for it for the rest of your life? I don’t think so.

Quote:
What's being fought for here is the right to be ignorant and lazy.
What’s being discussed, not fought for, is the right for a woman to control her own body in her own way, not your preferred approach.

Right to be ignorant? Where are kids going to get real and honest information about sexuality and birth control today? From their parents, not usually? From the schools, no, that’s not going to happen. From Planned Parenthood? Nope, because the anti-choice people are picketing for some misguided reason.

This isn’t a perfect world.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-30-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
For you who consider yourselves "pro-choice", do you really believe that abortion should be allowed until the umbilical cord is cut, for any reason including sex selection and convenience?
If you read this thread, the question has been answered many times.

Anyone who has responded has indicated that until the fetus is viable.

What's so difficult to understand about the response, or are you simply playing obtuse?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you read this thread, the question has been answered many times.

Anyone who has responded has indicated that until the fetus is viable.

What's so difficult to understand about the response, or are you simply playing obtuse?
Isn't the fetus still as much a part of the woman's body when it's viable but still in the womb? To advocate that the fetus deserves protection when its still part of the woman's body is advocating controlling what a woman can do with her body and removing her choice, thus actually being anti-choice, at that point.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
This has nothing to do with sex. It is about a male having a sacred right to impregnate any female with or without her permission and force her to have his children. The simple male prerogative to show other males that he is better than them. The women and children are just another means of exercising the old "mine is bigger than yours” game.

If any one tried to control my body and my fate as demanded by the "pro-life" fanatics they would have a deadly fight on their hands. If I will not allow such domination I cannot impose it on others.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 AM

So it was simply playing obtuse? I see.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:23 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
1. I'm against the gov't eroding pro choice. As a woman raised in the 50's, when even birth control was illegal, I know how hard won abortion rights were.
2. I have no problem with the billboards. Abortion is an ugly thing. It should be avoided as much as possible, but it should be a woman's private choice.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So it was simply playing obtuse? I see.
You seem to be avoiding the dilemma of claiming to be pro-choice when you actually advocate removing a woman's choice simply because the fetus is viable. Are you really pro-choice or simply pretending to be for convenience?
Don't feel like I'm picking on you, but many who claim to be pro-choice really aren't because they don't understand the consequences when true pro-choice is explained. You'll understand when we see how many will avoid answering this question.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
1. I'm against the gov't eroding pro choice. As a woman raised in the 50's, when even birth control was illegal, I know how hard won abortion rights were.
2. I have no problem with the billboards. Abortion is an ugly thing. It should be avoided as much as possible, but it should be a woman's private choice.
Even AFTER the fetus has reached viability?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,028,636 times
Anyone has a right to their opinion- I feel that abortion is wrong- but- the Government has no right to tell a women what to do with her body---

Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Anyone has a right to their opinion- I feel that abortion is wrong- but- the Government has no right to tell a women what to do with her body---
Even AFTER the fetus is viable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies