Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times

Advertisements

Partial birth abortions account for a tiny percentage of abortions, usually if the mothers life is in danger (in this country). I certainly wouldn't support third trimester abortion for convenience. If the mothers life is in danger, I guess she would have to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Partial birth abortions account for a tiny percentage of abortions, usually if the mothers life is in danger (in this country). I certainly wouldn't support third trimester abortion for convenience. If the mothers life is in danger, I guess she would have to decide.
The first part is mmaterial to my question.

interesting you do not support a woman's right to choose IF she waits too long to make the decision,why isn't it the woman's body in the third trimester???

Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The first part is mmaterial to my question.

interesting you do not support a woman's right to choose IF she waits too long to make the decision,why isn't it the woman's body in the third trimester???
Because in the third trimester the fetus would most likely be viable and it much further along in it's development. Most likely it could survive outside her body. Try that with a 8 week old fetus.

But you aren't really interested in my answer are you?
Still doesn't change my view on having abortion as a choice in the third trimester and AFTER, if it is threat to the mothers health.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Because in the third trimester the fetus would most likely be viable and it much further along in it's development. Most likely it could survive outside her body. Try that with a 8 week old fetus.

But you aren't really interested in my answer are you?
Still doesn't change my view on having abortion as a choice in the third trimester and AFTER, if it is threat to the mothers health.
Hang on a minute!!!

What does the blob of cells living inside the woman have to do with her rights as they pertain to HER body?

Seriously your position is coming across as the woman has the right to do with her body as she sees fit...up until a certain date where it is no longer her choice unless she is in mortal danger.

That seems a little contradictory.

If it truly is the woman's body and solely her right then it shouldn't matter how far along the baby is,it is STILL her body.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Hang on a minute!!!

What does the blob of cells living inside the woman have to do with her rights as they pertain to HER body?

Seriously your position is coming across as the woman has the right to do with her body as she sees fit...up until a certain date where it is no longer her choice unless she is in mortal danger.

That seems a little contradictory.

If it truly is the woman's body and solely her right then it shouldn't matter how far along the baby is,it is STILL her body.

To clarify my point to you for the very last time. Yes, if a woman finds herself pregnant, I do believe she has the choice to terminate that pregnancy within the first trimester. Her decision alone. If she choses not to act and wait until a late stage in the pregnancy, she has waited too long. That is my view. You can ask me a million more questions and I won't change my view.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
katzenfreund, is trying to say that if a blob of cells is unwanted, they should be removed. If the fetus is not viable outside of the womb, then it's used for research - at least mine was.

If the fetus is viable outside of the womb, every effort should be made to rid the mother of her "unwanted cells" while trying to keep the now-child alive.

Quote:
Does a womans right to have an abortion override the right of the baby to live?

Until such time as the fetus can live and breathe on its own, yes. While it is dependent upon the mother's physical body for nutrients, it has about the same amount of rights as a tapeworm.

Also to those who support abortion, do you believe in any time limits,if so why are those time limits in place?

The time limit to CHOOSE should be at 26 weeks - like here. At 26 weeks, or ~6 months, the fetus could be viable in the outside world. At my 26 week appointment, I was told, "This is the point of NO RETURN. If I call 26 weeks, you are no longer allowed to have an abortion outside of a medical emergency."

Are third trimester abortions okay?

Third trimester abortions should not be allowed. By the third trimester, the child should be viable outside the womb.
In Virginia, you cannot have an abortion after 26 weeks. The doctor lets you know this. If 100% medically necessary (Mirror Syndrome and such) they will remove the child surgically and do everything possible to help it live. That's how it should be.

I will add that Virginia upheld a law to the letter when a woman shot herself in her own stomache to abort the baby. She only got charged with filing a false police report - because she said someone else did it. The law only outlaws performing an abortion on someone else.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
katzenfreund, is trying to say that if a blob of cells is unwanted, they should be removed. If the fetus is not viable outside of the womb, then it's used for research - at least mine was.

If the fetus is viable outside of the womb, every effort should be made to rid the mother of her responsibility while trying to keep the now-child alive.

In Virginia, you cannot have an abortion after 26 weeks. The doctor lets you know this. If 100% medically necessary (Mirror Syndrome and such) they will remove the child surgically and do everything possible to help it live. That's how it should be.
Kuharai, he doesn't care what I am trying to say. As long as I don't say what he thinks, it's "wrong". But that's ok, because I don't need his approval , already have the law on my side.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
To clarify my point to you for the very last time. Yes, if a woman finds herself pregnant, I do believe she has the choice to terminate that pregnancy within the first trimester. Her decision alone. If she choses not to act and wait until a late stage in the pregnancy, she has waited too long. That is my view. You can ask me a million more questions and I won't change my view.
That is a kind of contradcitory stand isn't it?

You think it is her right and hers alone for a few months and then it suddenly isn't her choice at all??

Not trying to change your mind but just having trouble figuring out your beliefs.

If it is the woman's right to do with her own body as she sees fit why should there be a time limit imposed,isn't that interfering with her right?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Quote:
You think it is her right and hers alone for a few months and then it suddenly isn't her choice at all??
I think the idea is it's the woman's choice until the fetus is viable outside the womb.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I think the idea is it's the woman's choice until the fetus is viable outside the womb.
So as the age of viability is pushed further and further back so would the right to have an abortion?

Is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies