Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, I want to answer your baseless accusation of hypocrisy in the comparing of a head of state expressing political views and a government employee refusing to do her job..

As I've said, the Pope is a head of state and did nothing but express the political views of a head of state. Until you point out where you also whine about Netanyahu also expressing his political views as a head of state it will be obvious to a blind man that the hypocrisy here is yours.
I suppose I need a clarification from you before we go further: Are you saying that the Pope is in the United States espousing political views instead of religious views? It looks like that that's EXACTLY what you're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Defeated? What are you talking about? None of you lefties could even remotely explain why the Pope ran away from American liberalism literally moments before he landed in the US. I'm still waiting on a cogent response rather than the dodging and weaving you guys have perfected.

Regarding the rest of your post....did you purposefully evade the point?
Huh? I explained to you that he was asked by a journalist about his perceived liberalism in the U.S. Much like myself, he is not a liberal or conservative by our standards. The Pope is simply Catholic. Likewise, American Catholics are split with more falling to the Democratic side because they relate more to the mission to help the poor.

I addressed your point here straight on. Kim Davis is breaking our law. The Pope is making recommendations based on his spiritual perspective.

The two are not comparable. One can consider his enlightened views without supporting a criminal like Kim Davis.

Is this just rooted in the idea that you didn't think there could be a spiritual foundation to liberal policies? I guess I know Catholics across the spectrum so I don't see this issue.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I suppose I need a clarification from you before we go further: Are you saying that the Pope is in the United States espousing political views instead of religious views?
I'm saying he's here as a head of state and contrary to what you seem to think, no different than any other head of state.

Perhaps we need a clarification from you. Are you actually alleging the words of a head of state are not a different situation than a government employee refusing to do her job? If you are, it's silly, if you're not, the claim of hypocrisy in the OP is baseless.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'll chalk you up to yet another person who knows nothing of federalism.
You're so mean and condescending. Very un-Christian.

Power is divided but, as you know, no one is exempt from federal law. It is the law of our land. Otherwise, we might still have slavery in the South or white only drinking fountains in the South.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Huh? I explained to you that he was asked by a journalist about his perceived liberalism in the U.S. Much like myself, he is not a liberal or conservative by our standards. The Pope is simply Catholic. Likewise, American Catholics are split with more falling to the Democratic side because they relate more to the mission to help the poor.

I addressed your point here straight on. Kim Davis is breaking our law. The Pope is making recommendations based on his spiritual perspective.

The two are not comparable. One can consider his enlightened views without supporting a criminal like Kim Davis.

Is this just rooted in the idea that you didn't think there could be a spiritual foundation to liberal policies? I guess I know Catholics across the spectrum so I don't see this issue.
The first time a legislator cites the Pope as inspiration for drafting legislation, will you denounce the lawmaker for using a religious reasons to push forward legislation? If not, then it sounds like you believe religious points of view and government regulation can co-exist.

If that's the case, Kim Davis is owed an apology.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, I want to answer your baseless accusation of hypocrisy in the comparing of a head of state expressing political views and a government employee refusing to do her job..

As I've said, the Pope is a head of state and did nothing but express the political views of a head of state. Until you point out where you also whine about Netanyahu also expressing his political views as a head of state it will be obvious to a blind man that the hypocrisy here is yours.
Burdell has objectively won this debate. No comparison to a foreign leader making suggestions and a government employee.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You're so mean and condescending. Very un-Christian.

Power is divided but, as you know, no one is exempt from federal law. It is the law of our land. Otherwise, we might still have slavery in the South or white only drinking fountains in the South.
I'm not mean. I'm very kind, actually. But I demand accountability from wayward liberals. This forum is one of the ways to have those kinds of discussions.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
When the Pope pushes a "moral obligation" backed by religion, it makes hypocrites out of every living, breathing supportive Democrat and liberal in America:

1) Keep Kim Davis's religious views out of government!
2) Take the Pope's religious views on American social policy and incorporate them into government law and regulation!

Both of which affect American's, but only one of which liberals support!

The hypocrisy is downright disgusting!

I/2 of the Senate and 1/4 of the House including the speaker are Catholic. And by golly, some are Republican.

Kim Davis declined to perform her job.

The pope shares his opinion. Huge diff.

I have no interest in the pope's opinion.

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Kim Davis is a dirt bag. She is the evangelicals darling now that she decided Jesus told her not to do,her job.
I don't want any religion in politics but evangelicals keep pushing it down out throats.

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
The first time a legislator cites the Pope as inspiration for drafting legislation, will you denounce the lawmaker for using a religious regions to push forward legislation?

What evidence is there that everything the Pope says is religion based?

He suggests the US and Cuba improve relations, will you falsely accuse that of being religion-based if legislation is drafted towards that end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies