Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 01:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're twisting, Aero. That's never a good sign.

What religious-backed laws are you concerned about? Could you describe how these laws are "religious-backed"? Any religious texts?
See the above post. Same question to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Yes, why not? I'm not even a Christian. (Jew-ish) Of course his positions should be part of the public debate, just like Mike Huckabee's should, and even Kim Davis's should be PART OF THE PUBLIC DEBATE. But once that debate shows they are not constitutional, it's time to move on.

BTW, I don't think the Pope is engaged in Pubic Debate. There have been a few Priests that got busted, but I think that problem has mostly been addressed. No need to keep rehashing old problems.
Wait a second. Did you just confirm that you believe Mike Huckabee's positions as a pastor should be up for debate? If Mike Huckabee, as President, put forth an abortion ban bill citing his Christian belief, what would you say? That his position is a worthy one that we should consider since this is his religious belief?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
See the above post. Same question to you.
There will never be a piece of legislation citing as its inspiration a religious message from the Pope. But if you could tell us what religious legislation you are afraid of, that might further the discussion. If you can't tell us, that suggests that your entire thread is bogus.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There will never be a piece of legislation citing as its inspiration a religious message from the Pope. But if you could tell us what religious legislation you are afraid of, that might further the discussion. If you can't tell us, that suggests that your entire thread is bogus.
The actual legislation, no. The person who sponsored the bill, absolutely possible, and likely.

That you put the impetus on me to cite a current piece of legislation when in fact the Pope is just now visiting the US shows me just how fundamentally disingenuous you're willing to be in tackling this topic. That's all you know how to do. Dig into the weeds and try to find some point that's not even being contested and say "ah ha, gotcha!"

I'm not phased. This is your modus operandi. Always has been.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Wait a second. Did you just confirm that you believe Mike Huckabee's positions as a pastor should be up for debate? If Mike Huckabee, as President, put forth an abortion ban bill citing his Christian belief, what would you say? That his position is a worthy one that we should consider since this is his religious belief?
Absolutely. In the case of an abortion ban, we wouldn't need to consider it though, because it's already been considered, ruled upon and defeated.

But as an American, of course we need to be able to debate all issues. We have that inaliable right. It doesn't mean it will become law, just that it is up for discussion.

I don't see how it's productive to keep rehashing discussions that have been tested, retested, and tested again with the same result though. I suppose people have a RIGHT to bring them up, but it's not going to be productive.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
I'm merely pointing out the flimsy and whimsical nature of liberal ideology. One lady in Podunk USA refuses to bow to the alter of homosexual marriage because it is contrary to her religion, and liberals go ape shat crazy. One old white man who allegedly speaks for God comes along and pushes a moral authority to enact religion-backed social policies that he believes conforms to God's will and liberals can't get enough of him.

Now do you understand where I'm coming from?
Yea, you're mad your brand of ideology and Christianity isn't as popular as your opposition. It's clear as day.

Last edited by dv1033; 09-24-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 01:20 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Kim Davis and the Pope have the same view of homosexual marriage, btw. The difference is that the Pope's view is only operational over Catholics who want to remain in communion with the Church.

And Benjamin Netanyahu speaking in Congress evoked the Old Testament and God as reasons to oppose the Iran agreement.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Absolutely. In the case of an abortion ban, we wouldn't need to consider it though, because it's already been considered, ruled upon and defeated.

But as an American, of course we need to be able to debate all issues. We have that inaliable right. It doesn't mean it will become law, just that it is up for discussion.

I don't see how it's productive to keep rehashing discussions that have been tested, retested, and tested again with the same result though. I suppose people have a RIGHT to bring them up, but it's not going to be productive.
You miss the point. The abortion ban example is merely that, an example. The point is that you are saying that the President of the United States of America can and should put forth bills that appeal directly to his religious beliefs.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm 99.9999% positive that virtually 100% of your liberal colleagues would wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Kim Davis and the Pope have the same view of homosexual marriage, btw. The difference is that the Pope's view is only operational over Catholics who want to remain in communion with the Church.

And Benjamin Netanyahu speaking in Congress evoked the Old Testament and God as reasons to oppose the Iran agreement.
That's a very good point.

However, Netti is not a religious leader.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:30 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
So, you're straying from the liberal perspective that the Pope is in the United States to espouse a RELIGIOUS message instead of a POLITICAL one? Is that your holding?
I don't do talking points nor do I care for message discipline. I do my own thinking and express my own opinions. That being said, as far as I am concerned Kim Davis can stand in, on, or in front of her county clerk's office and preach fire and brimstone about same sex marriage until the bloody rapture for all I care. As long as when someone comes for a proper marriage licenses they get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies