Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Understood, but not relevant to the point.
Very relevant. You made it relevant when you remarked that most laws aren't challenged in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You put far too much faith in the intellect of your elected leaders. Besides, the number of laws that are ultimately struck down as unconstitutional does not bare out your claim.
Which is why my post is relevant. Because the number of laws that aren't Constitutional are a small subset of the larger number of laws that are passed. If Constitutional challenges are concentrated on that small subset, then your concerns about Unconstitutional laws becomes moot.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
But he is a religious leader, nothing besides. This country has a very clear separation between religion and state. Any religious leader should not be addressing congress.

If lawmakers are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Atheist I do not really care so long as ANY of those beliefs or non beliefs do not interfere with public law or decision making. On a personal level I kinda like the Pope as he is probably the most progressive Pope in history, but he is also the most influential religious leader on earth and has NO place in congress.
Huckabee is an ordained Baptist minister. So are you disqualifying him from holding office in the federal government?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
3) The Pope can push his religion to influence social policy, but Kim Davis can't cite religion as a reason to NOT comply with social policy?

You don't see the problem with this?
Nobody does.

The Pope - and anyone else - can use any foundation whatsoever to form his views, argue for those views and - if the arguments win favor - see those views enshrined in law. If the law passes constitutional muster, it is 100% irrelevant on which basis the underlying views were formed.

Kim Davis can do the exact same - argue her fervently held viewpoints and try to influence legislation. What she cannot do, as a county clerk, is pick and choose what secular law she wishes to follow, for whatever reason - religion, personal taste, laziness or a deepheld dislike of the citizen standing in front of her.

This isn't hard at all.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Understood, but not relevant to the point.
Yes it is..... Kinda blows apart your argument.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Your threshold is far too high. The vast majority of American laws are never tested in court.
True. That's because no one objects to them. So what?

Do you think every law that Congress enacts should also be tried in court *before* it can take effect?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So the Pope didn't invoke any moral authority.

As for your indisputable, I do dispute it. Prove it. How have the Democrats co-opted the Pope's moral authority to legitimize their agenda? Why would they need to? Isn't their agenda legitimate already?

I'm not likening the Pope's words to a breakroom discussion. Your saying that I did so is dishonest.

And if the Pope's message happens to coincide with the Democrat's proposals, so what? It was the Republican Speaker of the House who invited the Pope to speak. Not a Democratic Speaker of the House. Sounds like your issue is with the Speaker of the House. Perhaps you should start a thread about him.
OP should be quite upset with Boehner as he has been trying to get a Pope to visit for the past 20 years and he finally got one but apparently not one that the conservatives like. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
But he is a religious leader, nothing besides. This country has a very clear separation between religion and state. Any religious leader should not be addressing congress.

If lawmakers are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Atheist I do not really care so long as ANY of those beliefs or non beliefs do not interfere with public law or decision making. On a personal level I kinda like the Pope as he is probably the most progressive Pope in history, but he is also the most influential religious leader on earth and has NO place in congress.
Sure he does. He's also a head of state. Do we have to do everything he says? Nope. Can we listen and hear? Sure we can.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:46 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This isn't hard at all.
You are so wrong this issue is as inscrutably difficult for reactionaries as a unifying theory of everything is for theoretical mathematicians. Just listen to Huckabee's incomprehension of the role of the Court and the principle of judicial review.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Wait...hold up. Are you saying that the Pope is expressing POLITICAL views instead of RELIGIOUS views? That's not what your fellow liberals are saying!

Nevertheless, you're yet another liberal who can't argue the point without bringing Israel into the discussion. That's a problem that you guys need work out on your own. I'm not going to hold your hand while you deflect.
It's an apples to apples comparison and is a legitimate point to make. Both are heads of state Bibi, of Israeli state, the pope is the head of the Vatican state. You cheer one who supports your views and get angry and tell the one who doesn't he should keep his mouth shut. Don't get me wrong, plenty of Democrates did the same thing when the Israeli prime minster came here, too. Technically what they are doing is lobbying congress just like any other lobbyist, just on a much more grander scale. That hypocrisy cuts both ways. "Just because the do something, I know can the same thing to him." It's like a bunch of snot-nosed brats fighting in a school yard.

I don't the founding fathers wanted it this way, they wanted a country where there would be a fair exchange of ideas, not a fair exchange of hate for someone who believes something else. For all the people that use terms "*******" or "Repugs" and you want to know what the problem in America is, go look in a mirror, it's you.

We (myself included) get so easily pulled in this manufactured political theater and toss word bombs at each other, that we are missing what is probably the biggest threat that faces the nation: corporation, special interests, and foreign interests are taking over the government.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Pot calling kettle black.... Who else agrees?
Agree.

I'll even throw in another word for this thread's original post: incoherent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies