Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Enact regulations that are so onerous that very few can access their right to own a gun.

If we make it harder to obtain an abortion, we will lower the amount of abortions.

If we make it harder to obtain a gun, it will lower the amount of gun deaths.
I'm very pro-abortion (meaning, I think early term abortions should be *encouraged* and the morning-after pill should come in packs of twenty for about $7.99), but I'll take a look:

--making it harder to get an abortion doesn't make it impossible to get an abortion; same with guns
--making it extremely difficult or impossible to get an abortion LEGALLY will mean a booming market in illegal abortions; same with guns (and if you're considering breaking the laws against murder you're unlikely to be deterred by the laws against obtaining a firearm illegally)

--also, an abortion isn't something that's "out there already," there are hundreds of millions of firearms in existence across the country already; an abortion is a service, a firearm is a product

Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Irrelevant argument. Drug deaths, you kill yourself. Gun deaths, you kill others. But it is another good example of the methods gun people use to avoid the issues and change the subject.
First thing gun control people do is attribute suicides where a gun was used to guns. You want it both ways.

Avoiding the issue, uh huh. The people butchered or enslaved because of the drug trade do it to themselves right? Talk about avoiding the issue.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:15 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Obviously it won't. Ever try and take a toy away from a toddler?

Now picture that toddler with a gun in its hand.
Ummm... who needs to picture a toddler with a gun? Just read the news.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Funny how the gun control people always seem to be able to do what no one else has ever done, predict with certainty human behavior. They say more gun control laws means people will not kill others. Notice what they will never say? What would happen if more gun control laws don't reduce violence significantly? Would they be in favor of eliminating those gun control laws? Not a chance.

If they can predict human behavior as they claim and is necessary for them to be so certain gun control laws would work, then why can't they simply predict who will kill someone and deal with it before the crime takes place?

Because they are no better than the dial a psychic.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM

How about a named beneficiary receives $50,000 tax free from the US government if a person shoots and kills him or herself WITHOUT hurting anyone else?

So now instead of going on a murder-suicide spree, you may have a vested interest in applying for a simple suicide so someone else (or some organization) can benefit, and killing ONLY yourself.

Once we verify you ONLY shot *and killed* yourself, AND we confiscate and destroy the weapon involved, we transfer the loot to your beneficiary.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm very pro-abortion (meaning, I think early term abortions should be *encouraged* and the morning-after pill should come in packs of twenty for about $7.99), but I'll take a look:

--making it harder to get an abortion doesn't make it impossible to get an abortion; same with guns
--making it extremely difficult or impossible to get an abortion LEGALLY will mean a booming market in illegal abortions; same with guns (and if you're considering breaking the laws against murder you're unlikely to be deterred by the laws against obtaining a firearm illegally)

--also, an abortion isn't something that's "out there already," there are hundreds of millions of firearms in existence across the country already; an abortion is a service, a firearm is a product
My point, how can Republicans defend using hyper regulation in the case of abortion yet vilify the same solution in the case of guns?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
My point, how can Republicans defend using hyper regulation in the case of abortion yet vilify the same solution in the case of guns?
I know what your point is. Here's the answer:

--Republicans who are "Pro-Life" think abortion is the murder of a defenseless baby, and it must be stopped, and even if they can't overturn RvW, they can work within the law to marginalize it and make it heinous to try and do or have done.

They think they'll prevent murders by doing this.
-----------------------------------------
--Republicans who are "Anti-Gun Control" think the right to own firearms is guaranteed by the Constitution, the vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding and harmless and only exercising their right, and any legislation impeding the ability to obtain firearms is a stepping-stone to more restrictions, which are a stepping stone to even more restrictions, which are a stepping stone to prohibition and confiscation.

They think gun control will either do zip to prevent murders and massacres or that it's not worth restricting the rights of a hundred million law-abiding citizens in exchange for the small deterrence toward illegal armed violence that might result.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:26 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
I am not a republican, but I can give the stock answer to that:
NOWHERE in the Constitution of The United States is abortion listed as a RIGHT!
The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, however, DOES give the citizens of the United States the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.
I don't know about YOUR state, but here in Montana the State Constitution does not list abortion in Article II, the Statement of Rights, but Section 12 states the right to keep and bear arms shall not be called into question.
Sorry, but attempting to compare a privilege with a RIGHT just doesn't work for most people!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Imagine a place where everyone is armed. That is the kind of place I want to live. I want bad guys to take a chance when they know everyone has a gun. Gun ownership = decline in violent death. No it does not end violent death, it helps decline it.

I want schools that have teachers that carry weapons in class and I want the bad guys to know that the teachers have guns. That would be the safest school on the planet.

Abortion is a moral issue. Planned parenthood's goal was to eliminate African Americans over time by offering free abortions. Yea, what a great place that is.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Imagine a place where everyone is armed. That is the kind of place I want to live. I want bad guys to take a chance when they know everyone has a gun. Gun ownership = decline in violent death. No it does not end violent death, it helps decline it.

I want schools that have teachers that carry weapons in class and I want the bad guys to know that the teachers have guns. That would be the safest school on the planet.

Abortion is a moral issue. Planned parenthood's goal was to eliminate African Americans over time by offering free abortions. Yea, what a great place that is.
This country is doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies