Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Nope, as I've already stated (often) killing a 1 month old baby can never be considered abortion since it already was given birth. Abortion (and euthanasia) in Holland are legal, but murder isn't. Only the termination of a 1 month old foetus can be considered to be an abortion since it hasn't been delivered into the world.
A baby is not a foetus.
So, why did you bring sentience into the discussion at all, since you seem to NOW consider it irrelevent? I must conclude that you have now modified your stance from supporting abortion until sentience to supporting abortion up until birth, still an undefined point but at least a bit more reasonable.

Quote:
Besides, women generally decide to abort their pregnancy the moment they find out that they are pregnant and not the moment when their water broke.
I concur. However, the point here is to prevent the undue killing of fetuses/babies for the convenience of the mother, when that is indeed the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
However, the point here is to prevent the undue killing of fetuses/babies for the convenience of the mother, when that is indeed the case.
Actually, the plain point here is to usurp a woman's right to guide her own reproductive history, making her interests as she sees them secondary to the matter of her interests as others (i.e., interlopers) see them.

Otherwise, the premise that there is any valid reason to prevent abortions that are for the convenience of the mother is not at all established. This is perhaps particularly so when anything short of a 100% certainty of death is classified as being mere inconvenience.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn
Quote:
So, why did you bring sentience into the discussion at all, since you seem to NOW consider it irrelevent?
It has always been important; being sentient is imo more important than being alive.
The fact that you simply won't acknowledge that a foetus is not sentient is not my fault.
Since a foetus is not sentient abortion (killing the foetus) is not against the law.
There are people who are only technically alive (like brain dead coma patients) but simply aren't sentient.
In my eyes a baby that is just delivered is not yet sentient, but since it can survive being outside the womb it would be alive (without being brain dead) and it would be murder if one tried to kill it.

Quote:
I must conclude that you have now modified your stance from supporting abortion until sentience to supporting abortion up until birth, still an undefined point but at least a bit more reasonable.
I have not modified my stance therefore your conclusion is simply wrong.
As always you only seem to understand things when you believe that they are in your favour.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:15 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,747 times
Sentience refers to the ability to feel or perceive subjectively, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness. The possession of sapience is not a necessity. The word sentient is often confused with the word sapient, which can connote knowledge, consciousness, or apperception. The root of the confusion is that the word conscious has a number of different usages in English. The two words can be distinguished by looking at their Latin roots: sentire, "to feel"; and sapere, "to know".
Sentience is the ability to sense. It is separate from, and not dependent on, aspects of consciousness.

wikipedia

Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
Originally Posted by expat007
Quote:
Sentience is the ability to sense. It is separate from, and not dependent on, aspects of consciousness.
But consciousness is impossible without having senses. So you need senses to become self-aware, therefore they are inseparable.
If you have a conscience (brain) but have no senses at all (not even touch) you will be imprisoned in your own mind and very well might never become aware of yourself.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 But consciousness is impossible without having senses. So you need senses to become self-aware, therefore they are inseparable.
If you have a conscience (brain) but have no senses at all (not even touch) you will be imprisoned in your own mind and very well might never become aware of yourself.

well done, we will teach you about the sanctity of life yet

A plant is sentient because it can "feel" its environment; a fetus is sentient and sapient
the moment its conceived !!

It s a HOMO SAPIENS the moment its conceived

Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Keep that thought as you choose.
Keep it out of our laws and away from my body.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Keep that thought as you choose.
Keep it out of our laws and away from my body.
admit it you love me My own stalker on city-data

its NOT your body; the little "parasite" belongs to the state. You have choice to do what you wish unless it affects another person: the fetus.

Its your choice to have or not have sex, if you make a mistake, then you pay the price to support it till it can be delivered;

Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
A plant is sentient because it can "feel" its environment; a fetus is sentient and sapient the moment its conceived !!
Hmmm. It looks then like the moment of conception is the high point in terms of sapience for some.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 But consciousness is impossible without having senses. So you need senses to become self-aware, therefore they are inseparable.
It seems that you've painted yourself into a corner here, in more than one way. Firstly, a fetus has a brain (conscience,as you put it) AND a nervous system (senses), and is therefore sentient by your own definition. Secondly, the fetus CAN survive outside of the womb at 27 weeks, and is therefore alive, again by your definition. Since, using your own definitions, the fetus IS alive and sentient, your two criteria for killing it being considered murder, you must support the protection of the fetus after 27 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies