Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Nobody is denying that we will always have income inequality. the point is how wide the gap has grown. why should those who work hard everyday not have a little more income so they can live a little better life, and give their kids a little better life, when the CEO's and other 1% ers get millions and have tax laws that lets them pay a much lower rate of tax? they do not work any harder, they just have power to shape tax laws that lets them pay lower taxes.
I know what I am talking about about tax laws. We have managed our finances, and have enough income to know how to manage it to pay less tax. So does the billiomaire Buffet who is telling you that his tax rate is lower than his office worker. She pays more as a percentage of her income than millionaires do.

If repubs. are so concerned that undocumented immigrants are depressing wages, why do they not want to raise wages for American workers? If they are afraid jobs will be cut if wages go up then what happens if these immigrant workers are deported? will wages not rise? How does this even make sense?

I does not make sense because they are making a false arguemnet. Actually higher wages will put more money in poor people's pockets, which they will spend buying food, clothes, medical care. The companies can make a little less profit, the CEOs can get a few thousands less, demand will rise and companies will sell more, profits will rise. No company makes manufacturing decisions on wages alone, they produce more when demand rises. The surest way to make demand rise is to raise wages so people have more disposable income.

what repubs are doing is creating ignorance and hatred by making their arguments.
What you seem to miss, is that many of the laws and regulations imposed by our corrupt federal government are strangling our economy, imposing new costs on running a business is killing jobs, and creating an artificially stagnant economy.

You seem to think small and medium businesses all over the country, have millions of dollars they are not using and gathering dust. Passing new laws to force a mom and pop business owners to double the pay to their employees will not result in the same amount of employees receiving double their salary.

If the business only creates enough profits to pay $300,000 a year in employee salaries and compensation, you cannot demand the business suddenly pay out $500,000-$600,000 a year.

Many of these laws and regulations are punitive and destructive. If a mule hauling a load up a hill, represented the average small business owner. Then the regulatory costs and burdens, and minimum wages laws are like tying weights on the mule's ankles, and sacks of rocks loaded on it's back. The government is a task master, wiping the mule demanding it pull the load faster. Your answer is to tie on more weights and add more rocks on the mule, and assuming it will result in a faster climb up that hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:38 AM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
There are enough charts and graphs and Wikipedia to explain
As soon as I read the source for your thread, I knew it was not reading further. Why people use Wiki for anything other than trivial info is beyond me. Thank goodness many schools and colleges are prohibiting it's use for research, as it is as unreliable as it gets.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
There are enough charts and graphs and Wikipedia to explain the inequality in income. It is the highest since the 1920's
Do you see this in your own life, among friends and acquaintances, your children's lives?
I see it in the parelell universe that the super rich and the rest of us live. The number of super rich has grown as a percentage.
I see it in air travel. There were always first class but what we call coach is how most of us travelled in. It was comfortable and actually fun. Now I cannot get anything other than a middle seat if I want to fly to LA in Jet Blue. Of course I can PAY extra and get the aisle seat, pay to bypass security, pay to board first. So there is your class system.
This kind high class and low class exists in every aspect of life so the rich never have to deal with all the non- rich out there.
Most people need two incomes to have a decent life. Young people incur huge debts to finish college without which they cannot get a decent job.
Consequently the rich get tax breaks, corporations get laws favorable to them passed by buying pols, and the rest contend with poor roads, poor public transit, poor schools.
Do you belive this inequality is bad for democracy and our way of life? If so, What is the solution? Who, the Dems or GOP, would address it?

In the past, you would be taking the train or bus. Airplanes were intended for business travelers and the wealthy. Quit crying.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
In the past, you would be taking the train or bus. Airplanes were intended for business travelers and the wealthy. Quit crying.
The average low income American has more safety and comfort in their home, a greater and more reliable, yearlong selection of food and products to choose from, a greater selection and wealth of information at their fingertips, an unimaginable ability to reach out an communicate to people all over the world, and the ability to travel and transport people and goods, that was not even available to the wealthiest of people, just one hundred years ago.

The advantages and luxuries that people have available to them today, is nothing short of astounding, when compared our human history.

And yet, so many people have become so pathetic, as to wail and moan with their out stretched hands, begging for scraps, as if they were still peasants living under in filth and harsh conditions of a thousand years ago, essentially whining for crap like "where's my free high speed internet?"

Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Income inequality has been around for the whole history of civilized mankind. There will always be hard workers, there will always be slackers, there will always be those who make poor life choices. And a slacker is not owed a living wage. If you can't be bothered to get a more valuable work skill set, then expect to keep being paid minimum wages. Shrug.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:41 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
There has never been a society that was "equal". The best feature of our society is people are constantly moving up and down the economic ladder.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:46 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Income inequality has been around for the whole history of civilized mankind. There will always be hard workers, there will always be slackers, there will always be those who make poor life choices. And a slacker is not owed a living wage. If you can't be bothered to get a more valuable work skill set, then expect to keep being paid minimum wages. Shrug.
Exactly

Think back to HS where you had all sorts of classmates. Some were super studious, well behaved, perfect attendance, involved in sports or representing the school in debate, music/choir, various clubs, etc.
Then you had the idiots who barely studied, skipped school, knocked the school and education in general, were always in the principles office, etc.

Now did any of us realize at that time the idiots who were screwing around were going to one day have to be taken care of by us?
Probably not, but that is what happens because these fools goof off or make poor choices like getting into drugs. Then the people who did the right thing, followed the rules, and made something of ourselves must now support those slackers/losers?

How in anyone's mind, even the progressive/liberals, is that fair or how society should be run?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why BAs instead of Bachelor of Science degrees? The latter is still a degree in the field but requires more math and science credits. Employers tend to be more receptive to those who are competent in both the humanities AND math and science, and not just a "Theory of American Folklore" liberal arts curricula.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you of the old joke from the '80s unemployment crisis...

"Would you like fries with that?"
actually it is a BA in English, BS in education, with a minor in eastern studies....His intent is to teach English to the Japanese's kids in Japan... he is also looking at (because it would be only like 4 extra classes) to see about having the SLPA certification (speech language pathologist assistant) before he goes on to his masters

he graduated HS with an associates (as *** laud) (early college high school program) and so far has been keeping a 4.0+ GPA

I am very proud

Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually it is a BA in English, BS in education, with a minor in eastern studies....His intent is to teach English to the Japanese's kids in Japan... he is also looking at (because it would be only like 4 extra classes) to see about having the SLPA certification (speech language pathologist assistant) before he goes on to his masters

he graduated HS with an associates (as *** laud) (early college high school program) and so far has been keeping a 4.0+ GPA

I am very proud
Good for him. we need more teachers. there is not much money in teaching english though, is there? even in japan? i hope he has a good teachers union to secure his wages and benefits.
marco rubio thinks we need more welders, that they make more money than academics do. that is all that counts, make more money, don't let income inequality catch up with you.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Good for him. we need more teachers. there is not much money in teaching english though, is there? even in japan? i hope he has a good teachers union to secure his wages and benefits.
marco rubio thinks we need more welders, that they make more money than academics do. that is all that counts, make more money, don't let income inequality catch up with you.
If you can't find a decent job teaching English in the US there are plenty of other countries that do pay good money plus generous benefits to teach English.

In many countries school children take English starting in elementary school straight through high school. This is because English is the language of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies