Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.
Which species have been going away in extinction, where can we find this list?
The oceans are getting overfished by mostly the Asians, that we know.
We should not pollute the water we drink.

Outside of that we are in God's hands. We have a Super Volcano that could erupt to maybe freeze the world in Northern America. For sure that would kill at least the USA off.
Then an asteroid could come and end us. Some liberals pray for that day, but again we have no control over that.

Bottom line, the earth will outlast us all.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Humans are a cancer. Just ask Agent Smith.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times
In 1986 NASA claimed mass extinction was caused by global cooling.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:00 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.
Oh well.

Obama doesn't want you to scare us, he admonished the media today for being so negative and playing up ISIS which is virtually the same as human caused global warming.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
[snip]

This is more caused by habitat destruction on our part, rather than climate change.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I think I am going to go and extinguish my dinner, and maybe a bottle of beer.
so you lit your dinner on fire, and now you are going to put that fire out with a bottle of beer? at least use a cheap beer, like hamms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Only thing that would be out fault is already knowing both the earth and sun are going to go though some major changes and we missed the our window to really try and got off this planet and our solar system is done when the sun goes Red dwarf and we are a little to close as it expands and gets hotter with it boiling off all the water emitting massive amounts of radiation.
i think you mean red giant, as a red dwarf is smaller than our sun and cooler as well.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Bottom line, the earth will outlast us all.
That's nice and all, but it's important we as species survive at the very least. Otherwise, I'd be nice to not have to fight over the remaining resources or have to leave the planet.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
The whole global warming debate doesn't even come close to addressing
or identifying the ecological problem.
Human activity has crippled our planet.
This human activity must be restrained and adapted to allow for the survival
of all species, plant and animal.
Our destructive footprint must not only stop accelerating, but decrease.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI0-rUHorj8

Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's nice and all, but it's important we as species survive at the very least. Otherwise, I'd be nice to not have to fight over the remaining resources or have to leave the planet.
Hey genius, name me one species that has either 1) has existed since the dawn of creation, or 2) remained unchanged since it's inception.

The one constant that can be depended on about the environment is CHANGE. It is inevitable. This is not up for debate or opinion. No species can last forever. Hell, even if we did find ourselves on other planets someday, we will adapt to that environment even as we will partially adapt it to our needs.

There will come a time that humanity will come to an end, either by speciation or something else. But for us to cause our own extinction though the bilge you all spout is ridiculous. We could launch every nuke the world has, and still some would survive, and probably thrive.

It's depressing how clueless some of you people are....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies