Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times

Advertisements

Fossil fuels burning in running cars, for how long now... 80 years..

think about china , india and other countries actually having industry and cars planes etc.

100 years of oil, and coal.... The world is over?

MILLIONS of years of volcanoes, mass catastrophic events like meteors, forest fires that burn for years and years, killed aminals, planets with no humans to put them out. Or until they reached the sea....

I have no issue with science, common sense would also tell me the earth is pretty good at recovery long before we even got here.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Check out my new thread and listen to the wise men

Over half of world's primates on brink of extinction: experts
Sucks to be a primate.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Paul Ehrlich. Isn't he the "scientist" that wrote about the "population time bomb" that predicted mass starvation all over the planet, even here in the U.S., by the 1990s. I'd take whatever he says with a healthy heapin' of salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-62uxbMBM

Old 11-24-2015, 01:46 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:

We live in an eddy on the river of change and if changes happen faster than we can adapt, we go away.

Evolve over thousands of years to fit in a very specific environment and when changes occur quickly your finished.

Very specfic requirements are like a monoculture crop. 'all eggs in one basket'. Ireland potato famine. etc. Natural diversity, beginning with soils, produces a cascade of life marked by a large variety of species. the boreal forest or desert, no so much.

The checkout for many species makes sense though places like NJ have viable populations of wildlife but no one knows it. Schools are teaching young kids about some endangered tree in the amazon and ignore the eagle nest a mile from where the kids sit. Central NJ is awash in mink, bear and fox with an occassional beaver. Even had a moose drop by in the 1990s. Where the different soils meet, plants, insects and on up the food chain, make NJ a showcase for insects, plants, birds and animals that residents have no clue exists. Problem is residents and politicians are looking at a 'cow clock'. If cows go away they think all nature is gone by.

Places like Africa or the Amazon are subject to profiteers greasing the palms of unethical leaders. Poaching is so sad and widespread and idiots go after legal hunters whose cash acts as incentive for locals to ensure the animal populations thrive as a cash crop.

New species are also being discoverd daily. Cows and horses don't count as endangered species.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I asked you to show me how to kill a planet.

You failed.

You showed me how we could make it uncomfortable for us humans. But we aren't the only species on the planet now are we. As a matter of fact, there's probably multitudes of species that would flourish in such an environment.

Yes, genius, we all know we should do a better job at keeping our planet clean. There is not a single poster in here that is saying otherwise.

I'll say that again... There's not a single poster saying we SHOULDN'T keep our house clean. We all agree.

But when you engage in spewing forth the fear-mongering terminology like "catastrophic, devastating, Kill the planet, etc." then you are BS'ing everyone in here. You are intentionally using these words like a weapon against the less-informed. These are exaggerations. Period.

So, yes, I'll argue semantics, because when you engage in what you and others do, it is an attempt to blow things out of proportion - this is also called misleading them. IOW - lying.
No, you argued semantics. No, it isn't out of proportion, Starman, case in point: China.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:06 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
We live in an eddy on the river of change and if changes happen faster than we can adapt, we go away.

Evolve over thousands of years to fit in a very specific environment and when changes occur quickly your finished.

Very specfic requirements are like a monoculture crop. 'all eggs in one basket'. Ireland potato famine. etc. Natural diversity, beginning with soils, produces a cascade of life marked by a large variety of species. the boreal forest or desert, no so much.

The checkout for many species makes sense though places like NJ have viable populations of wildlife but no one knows it. Schools are teaching young kids about some endangered tree in the amazon and ignore the eagle nest a mile from where the kids sit. Central NJ is awash in mink, bear and fox with an occassional beaver. Even had a moose drop by in the 1990s. Where the different soils meet, plants, insects and on up the food chain, make NJ a showcase for insects, plants, birds and animals that residents have no clue exists. Problem is residents and politicians are looking at a 'cow clock'. If cows go away they think all nature is gone by.

Places like Africa or the Amazon are subject to profiteers greasing the palms of unethical leaders. Poaching is so sad and widespread and idiots go after legal hunters whose cash acts as incentive for locals to ensure the animal populations thrive as a cash crop.

New species are also being discoverd daily. Cows and horses don't count as endangered species.
Extinctions are occurring 114 times the normal rate, that is just not natural......

Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Extinctions are occurring 114 times the normal rate, that is just not natural......
oh really...

just what is '''normal'''

the american cheetah went extinct in 11000 bc

the eastern elk went extinct in 1880

1000's came extinct over the last 10,000 years...the rate is not increasing,, its all part of evolution (survival of the fittest), its just we are tracking it better

Old 11-24-2015, 02:33 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
At some juncture, human life and quite possibly all life on planet earth will become extinct. Will it be next year or a thousand years from now, no-one is really sure. Will it be from human intervention or perhaps a major collision with another meteor?
Again, no-one actually knows. The fact is, in the meantime, we all live as to the best of our ability on this planet we share. Our policies are dictated to us from the powers that be. Always have been and always will be. I believe in voting, but in all actuality it is an exercise of futility...

Old 11-24-2015, 02:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:

Are you ready to restrict human migration in order to address these issues?

Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.
I'm not a believer in global warming but I believe 7 billion is way too many humans on the planet, especially with how aggressive, selfish and wasteful we have proven to be.

Numbers are going to have to be cut and soon. Babies are going to have to be neutered like animals by some lottery system or something. To me the most justified use of our military is to go into Africa and other places and enforce birth control and permanent birth prevention. We have to plan for a future with an absolute max of 1 billion souls. ESPECIALLY with robotics tech absolutely booming. In 10 years robots will be everywhere.

Sorry to sound cold but this will get done one way or the other. We all know the bio technology exists to wipe about 80% of us out within weeks if they deploy it, and do not doubt they would if they really believe our planet is in danger from US. I would rather plan this eventuality than have it dropped on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies