Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
[snip]

Now, scientists say, the Earth is on the brink of a sixth such “mass extinction event.” Only this time, the culprit isn’t a massive asteroid impact or volcanic explosions or the inexorable drifting of continents. It’s us.

“We are now moving into another one of these events that could easily, easily ruin the lives of everybody on the planet,” Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich said in a video created by the school.

In a study published Friday in the journal Science Advances, biologists found that the Earth is losing mammal species 20 to 100 times the rate of the past. Extinctions are happening so fast, they could rival the event that killed the dinosaurs in as little as 250 years. Given the timing, the unprecedented speed of the losses and decades of research on the effects of pollution, hunting and habitat loss, they assert that human activity is responsible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-humans-fault/

I just wanted to follow up on my other post about CO2 levels. We are killing the planet yet many do not even care to face these facts. Ignorance is bliss.
I'm 1 of those people who does NOT take "GW" serious. Sorry.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Ignorance is bliss.
So why are you trying to screw up my bliss?

Old 11-23-2015, 05:54 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Recent discoveries indicated that the magnetic fields of the earth are weakening and as a result the magnetosphere is deteriorating which is what protects us from the severe radiation from the sun .
Also the sun spot activity has changed as well, so there is more happening then can be blamed on humans.
I do not disagree that man has caused a great deal of damage, but not all of it .

Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Recent discoveries indicated that the magnetic fields of the earth are weakening and as a result the magnetosphere is deteriorating which is what protects us from the severe radiation from the sun .
Also the sun spot activity has changed as well, so there is more happening then can be blamed on humans.
I do not disagree that man has caused a great deal of damage, but not all of it .
Science.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
It's always something.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:49 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
I suspect lefties will go first. I'm OK with that.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Paul Ehrlich huh?
It's amazing that someone can be as stunningly wrong as often as he has been over the years and still be taken seriously.

13 Worst Predictions Made on Earth Day, 1970 | FreedomWorks

Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Hey genius, name me one species that has either 1) has existed since the dawn of creation, or 2) remained unchanged since it's inception.
That's not the point. We are the ones responsible for this extinction event, not nature.

Quote:
The one constant that can be depended on about the environment is CHANGE. It is inevitable. This is not up for debate or opinion. No species can last forever. Hell, even if we did find ourselves on other planets someday, we will adapt to that environment even as we will partially adapt it to our needs.

There will come a time that humanity will come to an end, either by speciation or something else. But for us to cause our own extinction though the bilge you all spout is ridiculous. We could launch every nuke the world has, and still some would survive, and probably thrive.
I can assure you it would be some time before humans would thrive if we launched every nuke. I'm not sure why you are being so dense on the issue. Of course the planet would heal and life would emerge again if the worst would happen, but that's not the point.

Quote:
It's depressing how clueless some of you people are....
Right back at you. We are talking about a human induced extinction event and you're rambling on about something else.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Ummm, no. I'm all for fighting pollution and for protecting the environment, but nobody seems to care about environmental issues anymore. Every environmental alarmist is on the payroll of the big pharmaceutical and chemical companies or the oil industry. Real environmental issues get ignored while they spout insane drivel and BS about CO2 and global warming being the greatest danger to mankind ever. The feds and the media have ramped up their propaganda and are fabricating data. The next thing we'll here is that the sky isn't as blue as it should be because of global warming. It's greener.
Something is in the works. I think they're getting ready to announce a new breakthrough in energy and oil is going to be 10 dollars a barrel again. Then they can claim that we don't need it anymore and that will miraculously make the climate go back to where it should be. It will be the same and won't have changed a bit, but they'll take credit for it and tell us all about it.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's not the point. We are the ones responsible for this extinction event, not nature.
We are just as much a part of nature as the trees in your yard, the bacteria in your feces and the fungus on a sloth's back. Didn't you ever take a science class. My god, you need to shut up... do you know what you look like when you talk like this?
Someone help me out here...how do you discuss a scientific topic with someone who couldn't spell science w/o spellcheck? It's like trying to discuss politics with a house plant.

Quote:
I can assure you it would be some time before humans would thrive if we launched every nuke. I'm not sure why you are being so dense on the issue. Of course the planet would heal and life would emerge again if the worst would happen, but that's not the point.
That is very much the point. Listen closely... WE CAN'T DESTROY THE EARTH. You and your ilk keep saying this like a mantra, but repeating it over and over again just doesn't make it so. Who's being dense?!?!

So what?!? We don't go on. Yes, it sucks, but that is going to happen anyway. it might be a hundred years from now or it might take evolution millions of years to make us something very much different than what we are today (making our current selves non-existent). But when- or however, it is going to take place, as we are a natural part of things. You don't think that - of the 100's of millions of species that have gone on before us - none of them caused their own demise? You don't think that they may have caused others go before them? My god, man... this is nature at its best.

Or do you think that man is somehow special? That we don't count as a part of nature - set above it somehow? be careful, you'll start to sound like those evolution-denying, Bible-thumping flat-earthers you rail against. (hypocrite).

Yes, we could destroy it for a vast majority of our population, but again, name me one species on this planet that still exists today in the same form from which it emerged at the dawn of time. I beg you, please. But I know you can't do this, because it simply isn't possible. Nothing has. Change - like extinction - is inevitable for everything. And that includes us homo sapiens - you know, those mammals that are very much a part of the natural systems?!? I know this, because I actually have been teaching science at the college level for over 20 years.

Quote:
Right back at you. We are talking about a human induced extinction event and you're rambling on about something else.
Me rambling?!?! Hi, Pot. My name's Kettle.
And yet another hypocrite to add to this list.

Last edited by Starman71; 11-24-2015 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies