Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Isn't a homily suppose to give you guidance direction?
According to Piper they are pre-planned guilt trips.

It's a little too juvenile for logical and compassionate folks but there ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So instead of counseling the student the megalomaniac used an "open letter" to make his point?

I guess passive-aggressive behavior is right up the alley of someone who views sermons as pre-planned guilt trips. Not quite at the level of the Catholic Church but a fine job of it no less.
it's a Wesleyan university! If you want guilt free sermons, try the Lutherans. Oh, never mind. You all are giving me a headache.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-01-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So instead of counseling the student the megalomaniac used an "open letter" to make his point?

I guess passive-aggressive behavior is right up the alley of someone who views sermons as pre-planned guilt trips. Not quite at the level of the Catholic Church but a fine job of it no less.
uh, hopefully it stopped other whiners as intended.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
uh, hopefully it stopped other whiners as intended.
But sermons aren't supposed to help people "self-actualization" according to Piper. They are guilt trips by his own admission.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There might be a problem with some college age students but "snowflake" is tired and unoriginal.
I call them crybullies. They cry about perceived injustices and bully others to their way of thinking.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
College kids these days are getting stupider by the day. And I speak as someone that has 3 degrees.
I believe it comes from kids not having to pay their way. If one had to pay to go to college, just how many would be there. They would not have time to be victims in the real world, the real world doesn't care, about your personal feelings.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Because he's a Wesleyan! That's important to the context of events. Dear Lord, even if you weren't raised Methodist, aren't any of you capable of doing a quick Google search on John Wesley and skimming the results? My mind boggles at the profound ignorance demonstrated in this thread.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I call them crybullies. They cry about perceived injustices and bully others to their way of thinking.
But yet people don't come around to their way of thinking. The youth have always believed they know best and the older generation complained about it. There is nothing new here.

When I was a kid the colleges were full of "anti war, draft dodging hippy's". Now those hippys are the ones leading us into the wars they would have protested against in college..........come to think about it, maybe we should consider what the youth say a little?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
it's a Wesleyan university! If you want guilt free sermons, try the Lutherans. Oh, never mind. You all are giving me a headache.
I'm talking about the hypocrisy in Piper's own actions. If the sermons are pre-planned guilt trips (a little too Brady Bunch for me but whatever) you can't turn around and admonish a parishioner for not getting the message via sermon then proceed to use an "open letter" (aka social media rant - the height of narcissism/self-actualization) to try to do the trick.

Personally, I think life experience and just talking with others can build these skills but the passive-aggressive mindset is an exhausting no-win situation.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
But yet people don't come around to their way of thinking. The youth have always believed they know best and the older generation complained about it. There is nothing new here.

When I was a kid the colleges were full of "anti war, draft dodging hippy's". Now those hippys are the ones leading us into the wars they would have protested against in college..........come to think about it, maybe we should consider what the youth say a little?
I always try to keep an open mind but these youth today want to make certain parts of speech illegal, wanting to be pampered when they feel some micro-aggression, or "safe places". Crybabies

What drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies