Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:20 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Of course every culture is guilty of that.

I suppose ISIS culture is equal to all other cultures on earth?
Well, they are an extremist group. Not a "culture" in the broad sense that the OP seemed to be discussing.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:31 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Begging the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Some cultures are inferior and don't work.
Yah. But it depends entirely upon the physical environment that that culture is operating in. In the World as it stands right now - technical societies, mechanization, industrialization, power, water/sewer, health, agriculture & lots of transnational commerce - yes, the West (& Japan, the Tigers, Brazil, India & China, etc.) will likely prevail in the long run, & all other nations/cultures will either adapt or go to the wall.

However, if some World calamity were to disrupt the technical societies, interrupt international trade, the West would be in terrible trouble. The traditional cultures - those that raise their own food & make their own cloth, etc. - would hardly notice the difference. Most of us in the West can't maintain our way of life by ourselves - because we need the power supply to keep most of our tech running.

There are alternatives, & as societies, we're starting to look @ those seriously as possible replacements for fossil fuels, for instance. But even then - if we move off of fossil fuels - we'll still be highly dependent upon electrical grid, transportation, communication networks & so on. The specialization that allows individuals the economic freedom to pursue their own goals in a cooperative web has a price - very few people can actually live off the grid. More people could - with time & planning & the knowledge to pursue that as a goal.

But our societies don't see that independent life @ the individual or family level as a societal goal - from our societies' POV, it's an all or nothing set of values.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:35 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
At the end of the day, OP is proving his or her professor correct overall. OP's discussion regarding culture is limited to certain issues. Based on that, he/she comes up with the idea that a culture is or isn't superior to or inferior to another. At the end of the day, it is simply an opinion that is largely based on where one puts his or her value or emphasis.

Further, the need of individuals to judge different cultures as superior or inferior on a whole has led to mass violence, oppression, backward thought and poor education.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah. But it depends entirely upon the physical environment that that culture is operating in. In the World as it stands right now - technical societies, mechanization, industrialization, power, water/sewer, health, agriculture & lots of transnational commerce - yes, the West (& Japan, the Tigers, Brazil, India & China, etc.) will likely prevail in the long run, & all other nations/cultures will either adapt or go to the wall.

However, if some World calamity were to disrupt the technical societies, interrupt international trade, the West would be in terrible trouble. The traditional cultures - those that raise their own food & make their own cloth, etc. - would hardly notice the difference. Most of us in the West can't maintain our way of life by ourselves - because we need the power supply to keep most of our tech running.

There are alternatives, & as societies, we're starting to look @ those seriously as possible replacements for fossil fuels, for instance. But even then - if we move off of fossil fuels - we'll still be highly dependent upon electrical grid, transportation, communication networks & so on. The specialization that allows individuals the economic freedom to pursue their own goals in a cooperative web has a price - very few people can actually live off the grid. More people could - with time & planning & the knowledge to pursue that as a goal.

But our societies don't see that independent life @ the individual or family level as a societal goal - from our societies' POV, it's an all or nothing set of values.
Excellent post.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:55 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
At the end of the day, OP is proving his or her professor correct overall. OP's discussion regarding culture is limited to certain issues. Based on that, he/she comes up with the idea that a culture is or isn't superior to or inferior to another. At the end of the day, it is simply an opinion that is largely based on where one puts his or her value or emphasis.
That is like saying that I can't judge humans, because it is limited to certain issues.

I can't say Adolf Hitler < Mother Teresa, because it is simply an opinion based on values.

Any civilized society must make laws. Laws to protect human rights are imperative to a civilized society. You yourself said that I can judge parts of culture as inferior, especially if those actions/beliefs of the culture violate human freedom.

North Korean/ISIS culture has the underlying premise that basic human rights do not exist. I and any sane civilized person may deem them as inferior cultures for this reason.

Quote:
Further, the need of individuals to judge different cultures as superior or inferior on a whole has led to mass violence, oppression, backward thought and poor education.

The need for liberals to judge our culture as inferior has pushed for change and reform, which has expanded civil rights.

Hence 2015 American culture is superior to 1815 American culture where Native Americans are to be killed, women are to be silent and stay home, blacks are to be chained, and only a minority of some white men can vote.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:01 AM

52,280 posts, read 52,700,922 times
The whole premise of this thread with the professor saying that you can't deem one cuture to be inferior to another is just typical far left leaning usual crapola from the educational system.

Far too many leftist in the teaching profession.. I just whised things were more evenly presented and without commentary, I already said this up in the thread, but it's like with the media, I just want info, not commentary and it's hard to find info without having a left or right slant to it..

I find myself having to go to multiple news sources to try and get an even hand.....

Old 12-05-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
That is like saying that I can't judge humans, because it is limited to certain issues.

I can't say Adolf Hitler < Mother Teresa, because it is simply an opinion based on values.

Any civilized society must make laws. Laws to protect human rights are imperative to a civilized society. You yourself said that I can judge parts of culture as inferior, especially if those actions/beliefs of the culture violate human freedom.

North Korean/ISIS culture has the underlying premise that basic human rights do not exist. I and any sane civilized person may deem them as inferior cultures for this reason.

The need for liberals to judge our culture as inferior has pushed for change and reform, which has expanded civil rights.

Hence 2015 American culture is superior to 1815 American culture where Native Americans are to be killed, women are to be silent and stay home, blacks are to be chained, and only a minority of some white men can vote.
Go back and reread my post. It missed you.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:22 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Everyone on this thread seems to agree that widely accepted actions/beliefs within cultures can be deemed inferior if they violate basic human rights and freedoms.

For years liberals and others (including me) have said that to not allow gay marriage is wrong as it violates human rights.

Culture is the widely accepted beliefs and actions of a community.

The fact is, American culture has changed in recent years. In fact, culture is ALWAYS EVOLVING. Today most people support gay marriage (beliefs) and today gay marriage is allowed nationwide (action).

Did American culture not improve as we now allow this human right? The fact that it improved, means that the old culture was inferior, in this regard. There wasn't an instantaneous and magical deprivation somewhere else in the culture to balance it back to zero.

Culture is always evolving...for better or for worse.

Quote:
Go back and reread my post. It missed you.
P.S. Nice dodge, if you can't get in an intellectual debate...just play these same old cards!

Old 12-05-2015, 11:34 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Everyone on this thread seems to agree that widely accepted actions/beliefs within cultures can be deemed inferior if they violate basic human rights and freedoms.

For years liberals and others (including me) have said that to not allow gay marriage is wrong as it violates human rights.

Culture is the widely accepted beliefs and actions of a community.

The fact is, American culture has changed in recent years. In fact, culture is ALWAYS EVOLVING. Today most people support gay marriage (beliefs) and today gay marriage is allowed nationwide (action).
Some might call it EVILUTION;

Some might call it DEVILUTION;

Some do.

Some people proffer that "change" ALWAYS means "forward".

A federal attorney once yelled at me, in a federal courtroom, that "always means always".

I was forced to prove, with facts, that always is always always except when it isn't.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 12-05-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
P.S. Nice dodge, if you can't get in an intellectual debate...just play these same old cards!
The only one dodging is you. Writing essays doesn't make your argument better when you refuse to see distinctions being made. Willful ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies