Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Republicans are in the majority, and as such are responsible for the majority of this. Its not a complicated view.
And we still had the same basic problems when the Democrats were in charge.

I'm wasn't the one who tried to blame a specific party, that was you. You are the one who went partisan. Own it.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:55 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I'm wasn't the one who tried to blame a specific party, that was you. You are the one who went partisan. Own it.
Not sure what your issue is, but why not stick to the topic instead of trying to make it about me. Im more then happy to own that I feel that the Republicans are majority responsible since they are the majority in the house and senate. I am unsure why anyone would think otherwise.

The Dems have the power of obstruction now, not the power to pass things.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:01 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Pretty much sums things up:

"No one cares about the deficit – or, at the very least, everyone cares about other priorities more than they care about the deficit.

The basic deal here is that Republicans get corporate tax cuts, Democrats get anti-poverty tax cuts, and both sides … get some Obamacare tax cuts. What all sides give up is the deficit. This deal adds $700 billion onto the national tab, and maybe much more than that if the Obamacare taxes end up delayed far into the future, which is definitely what Republicans (and some Democrats) are hoping for."

Speaker Ryan catching breaks Boehner never did | MSNBC

Politics is the art of the possible, that is what everyone must remember.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Pretty much sums things up:

"No one cares about the deficit – or, at the very least, everyone cares about other priorities more than they care about the deficit.

The basic deal here is that Republicans get corporate tax cuts, Democrats get anti-poverty tax cuts, and both sides … get some Obamacare tax cuts. What all sides give up is the deficit. This deal adds $700 billion onto the national tab, and maybe much more than that if the Obamacare taxes end up delayed far into the future, which is definitely what Republicans (and some Democrats) are hoping for."

Speaker Ryan catching breaks Boehner never did | MSNBC

Politics is the art of the possible, that is what everyone must remember.
Which is ironic given what they have told their base over and over. But yeah that sums it up very well. Good find.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:04 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

The point being, it's the Republicans who demanded every spending increase must be offset by a corresponding cut somewhere else so as not to add to the debt, which they claim is one of their top priorities. Thus, the Democrats were told they must pay upfront for everything they want.

But that seems to only apply to Democratic spending. The Republicans have rendered themselves exempt from their own rules.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Which is ironic given what they have told their base over and over. But yeah that sums it up very well. Good find.

Truth to tell few Americans really give a rat's butt about the federal deficit, especially if fiscal policy affects them personally. Yes, you have pockets of the demographic like the Tea Party and so forth but still...

People are only happy by and large with "cuts" that do not affect them personally. Ask the average American taxpayer about cutting military spending and you'll get a positive response. However when you mention a military base, supplier, contractor or anything that involves local employment would be shut down to make those cuts happen, then you'll hear a different story.

Unless or until world financial markets impose any sort of fiscal responsibility upon the US government don't look for major deficit reduction plans anytime soon. If HC becomes POTUS (as seems likely) you are going to see a rash of spending in aid of "income equality" and various social services little to nil of which will be offset by spending cuts of real substance.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
I find it odd that Sanders proposes a program AND a way to pay for it and that is bad.....the GOP comes up with all sorts of new spending and no way to pay for it and we'll, they "had to".

To bad though Sanders won't get to propose bills and ways to pay for them.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The point being, it's the Republicans who demanded every spending increase must be offset by a corresponding cut somewhere else so as not to add to the debt, which they claim is one of their top priorities. Thus, the Democrats were told they must pay upfront for everything they want.

But that seems to only apply to Democratic spending. The Republicans have rendered themselves exempt from their own rules.
and again you are not seeing the forest through the trees

if the republicans had demanded cuts to the deficit, the democrats would have shut down the government again

the republicans did a compromise...they get a few tax cuts for the middleclass..the dems get funding for santuary cities, funding for doubling the foreign worker visas, and more welfare spending

whether you like deficit spending or not, it was the only way, with out the obstructionalist dems shutting down the government again

yesterdays USATODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cuts/77410914/

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The House of Representatives will begin voting Thursday on a colossal trade, giving Democrats a $1.1 trillion spending bill largely free of controversial policy provisions in exchange for a Republican-backed $629 billion package of tax cuts.

Unable to convince enough members to back such a global deal, House leaders will break them into two votes. On Thursday, the House will vote on the tax package, which is likely to pass with almost exclusively Republican votes. On Friday, the spending package will come to the floor needing a majority of Democrats to pass. That way, Republican conservatives can vote against the spending bill, Democratic liberals can vote against the tax bill, and both bills still pass and a government shutdown is averted.

The 233-page tax measure will permanently extend the enhanced child tax credit and earned income tax credit that were boosted by the 2009 stimulus bill

Rep. Doug Lamborn, a Colorado Republican "We gave up more than we should have" in the spending bill, Lamborn said Wednesday.......On the tax bill, "I am swallowing some things I don't like" — like tax credits for wind energy — but "I'm voting for the extenders because I think the good outweighs the bad," Lamborn said. "On the omnibus (spending bill), I am coming to the opposite conclusion."

To prevent a government shutdown, the House and Senate moved a short-term bill providing funding though Dec. 22, providing enough time for both chambers to vote on the omnibus bill that includes all the outstanding spending measures and the tax package.

Last edited by workingclasshero; 12-17-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I find it odd that Sanders proposes a program AND a way to pay for it and that is bad.....the GOP comes up with all sorts of new spending and no way to pay for it and we'll, they "had to".

To bad though Sanders won't get to propose bills and ways to pay for them.
That bill was introduced by a Democrat. In order to "compromise" the R's had to take all the stuff you are complaining about out of it and give EVERYTHING the Dems wanted which included no way to pay for it. They say they had to in order for it to pass. It shouldn't have passed IMO.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and again you are not seeing the forest through the trees

if the republicans had demanded cuts to the deficit, the democrats would have shut down the government again

the republicans did a compromise...they get a few tax cuts for the middleclass..the dems get funding for santuary cities, funding for doubling the foreign worker visas, and more welfare spending

whether you like deficit spending or not, it was the only way, with out the obstructionalist dems shutting down the government again
Wow. Obstructionist Dems shutting down the government again. sorry but when you say things like that, you are clearly not dealing with reality.

So tell me what Republican tax cuts were for the middle class. Go ahead. And what % of the total they were?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies