Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 02:01 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Yes. Only an idiot would think any president is personally responsible for every action in combat. You know, only an idiot thinks this way. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Remember, I'm not calling anyone an idiot. Just saying only an idiot would think a president would be holding a joystick and controlling every action in combat. Yeah, only an idiot...
Well, I'm not calling you an idiot, but only an idiot would believe that the candidates literally mean they want to carpet bomb the middle east.

You still haven't answered my question, where are your from, where the US has carpet bombed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 02:05 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Yes. Only an idiot would think any president is personally responsible for every action in combat. You know, only an idiot thinks this way. Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Remember, I'm not calling anyone an idiot. Just saying only an idiot would think a president would be holding a joystick and controlling every action in combat. Yeah, only an idiot...
You are one emotional poster........my response didn't say I held President Obama personally responsible. Only an emotional poster would not know it is the President who has ordered droning and the military is following orders. This is what happens when the President avoids troops on the ground.

I am assuming you are very young or were never taught by calling names you are not looking for others opinions. You are either grand standing or speaking only on an emotional level.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:12 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The last time the U.S did any "carpet" bombing was Operation Linebacker II during Vietnam. This is a very ineffective way of bombing, it does however have a psychological effect on the civilian population.
Didn't make them surrender, though.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It won't help, though I do want to point out that, while they've said they will 'carpet bomb' the Middle East, none of them would actually do that. They're using that 1) to get people who want blood and aren't able to think about big picture issues to vote form them and 2) to point out that they support the use of military in the region, and doing so with extreme force.
Quote:
Either way, I don't think military intervention is a good idea. I fully support aiding our allies in the region who will fight ISIS, like Turkey. I do not think we should declare war on ISIS for a number of reasons, the main one being our involvement in the Middle East is a huge reason groups like ISIS have so much power. I also don't support taking out Assad. Just like Saddam, he's not a good guy, but taking him out will create more problems.
However, Turkey is essentially an ally of the Sunnis who make up ISIS and an enemy of the Alawites who support Assad. Saudi Arabia is also an ally of the Sunnis who make up ISIS and an enemy of the Alawites who support Assad.

OTOH, Russia and Iran are enemies of the Sunnis who make up ISIS.

So the US is allied with the allies of ISIS and opposed to the enemies of ISIS.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Well, I'm not calling you an idiot, but only an idiot would believe that the candidates literally mean they want to carpet bomb the middle east.

You still haven't answered my question, where are your from, where the US has carpet bombed?

I don't know what country the OP is speaking of.

However, I did bomb damage assessment of Vietnam in the early 70s, and some areas of north Vietnam did look like the dark side of the moon from B-52 bombing.

As has already been noted, those were the days that the US could not do much better. It statistic at the time was that it took twenty-one F-4 bombing missions to successfully strike one target. IOW, about 40 bombs struck the wrong spot for every time two bombs struck the right spot...and often someone was living on that spot.

By the time of the first Gulf War, using predominantly smart munitions in populated areas, the situation was totally different. Instead of always looking for obvious craters strewn across city blocks, we were often looking for telltale signs of a strike--a "pinhole" in a roof or broken windows. (Although there were a couple of circumstances in which B-52 strikes were used near populated areas...and they proved as disastrous as in Vietnam.)

These days the US military has the ability to accurately place 500 pounds of high explosive on any square meter of the earth's surface within 8 hours of an execution order....the president essentially has a "smite" key. The hard part, however, is the intelligence problem: Knowing for sure which square meter of the earth's surface needs "smiting."

Old 12-24-2015, 02:47 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

So... Are you saying the front runners of the Republican Party are not serious candidates? They're just joking around?

As to your question, take a wild guess.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:04 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Full disclosure. I'm from a country that was indiscriminately carpet bombed to hell by American bombers. My father was fighting the communists along side the Americans. In the end, carpet bombing didn't help and the war was lost.

Since the most popular conservative candidates are the ones that have been advocating carpet bombing the middle east and make the sand glow, would conservatives like to explain to me how things will be different this time? I'm open-minded about this. Convince me.

Actually Arclight was working but the American people lacked the will to push it to it's limits. Ask the Germans and the Japanese how strategic bombing worked for them???

Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Full disclosure. I'm from a country that was indiscriminately carpet bombed to hell by American bombers. My father was fighting the communists along side the Americans. In the end, carpet bombing didn't help and the war was lost.

Since the most popular conservative candidates are the ones that have been advocating carpet bombing the middle east and make the sand glow, would conservatives like to explain to me how things will be different this time? I'm open-minded about this. Convince me.

Actually Arclight was working but the American people lacked the will to push it to it's limits. Ask the Germans and the Japanese how strategic bombing worked for them???

Old 12-24-2015, 03:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Are you saying our fight with IS is comparable to WW2?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:25 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
OP, What country are you from that the US has carpet bombed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies