Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 02:36 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The Japs didn't even think about trying to invade due to our armed citizenry.

:
What?? They DID invade. Why do you think we went to war with them?
And in case you didn't know, it wasn't only Pearl Harbor. They invaded the Aleutians, and weren't planning on stopping there.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
I've been in only one situation where someone broke into my house while I was home. In the evening, I heard someone downstairs and yelled, "WHO IS THERE?" They left immediately. However, had they not left immediately, I would have yelled, "WE CALLED THE POLICE. WE ARE ARMED. LEAVE NOW," and I would have put myself in a position to defend myself with a firearm. What I would not have done...is try to sneak up on the person to shoot them in the head before they knew anyone was home. IMO, that would be murder. There is nothing in the bible that condones such behavior.
What does the Bible have to do with it?

Old 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Anyone who choses to keep a firearm in their home needs to strictly follow safe storage and handling practices. That means keeping your weapon under control at all times so that no unauthorized person can ever access it. You should undergo appropriate training and keep your proficiency updated. In my opinion, you should also alert friends and family members that you are armed and tell them that if they intend to enter your home they should call ahead or be prepared to immediately identify themselves.

As long as you follow the rules and are of sound mind and are not paranoid or a hothead, I don't see a problem.
With all you've said, I agree, but there are SO many accidental shootings because people fail to heed this advice you have listed.

If there was only a way to figure out who should own guns and who shouldn't. (unsound minds, paranoid freaks and hotheads, and MOSTLY people who are too stupid to lock their guns up when they have children in the house)

There are responsible people, and then there are people who are dumb as stumps or like the trigger happy woman who shot her daughter instead of finding out who her "intruder" was first.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
The Japs didn't even think about trying to invade due to our armed citizenry.

But you can keep deluding yourself that your government will never turn on you.

BTW...take our ghetto's out of the equation and we're safer than you!

BTW again...the suicide rates per 1,000 is almost identical between the US and Canada...how are y'all killin' yourselves?
Here in the real world, the Japanese were at the limit of the logistical capabilities just striking Pearl Harbor - they couldn't invade Hawaii, much less the West Coast. Seriously, the notion that the Japanese had any capacity at all to mount a trans-Pacific invasion of CONUS is sheer idiocy.

And yet you've somehow managed to convince yourself that the only reason they didn't is because they were wetting their pants in terror over Cletus and Jethro and their deer rifles.

Let me guess - homeschooled?

Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Well said, and that is how I plan to handle a similar situation. Though I am prepared to defend myself with a gun, for religious reasons, I am no longer willing to take a life over property. Thus, I am not going to actively hunt the intruder and try to kill him.

Rest cut as not relevant to my comment
I am also prepared to defend myself with my gun.

But, and also like you, I will not actively hunt an intruder. This is for two reasons. First, I don't own any 'stuff' that is worth taking a human life for and, second, actually going looking for an intruder increases the risk of me getting shot if he/she is armed.

I can activate my alarm from 4 different places in my home and I can lock myself in my bedroom or my office. If an intruder comes looking for me then I will defend myself. I know where the bedroom or office door is but they don't know where in those rooms I am. That gives me much better odds than going looking for the intruder.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:47 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What?? They DID invade. Why do you think we went to war with them?
And in case you didn't know, it wasn't only Pearl Harbor. They invaded the Aleutians, and weren't planning on stopping there.
They attacked an island....they didn't "invade". Try dictionary.com

Old 01-01-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
They attacked an island....they didn't "invade". Try dictionary.com
They did occupy two Aleutian islands, Attu & Kiska. This was part of a diversion for the Japanese attack on Midway.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:59 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People would have guns regardless of whether or not the 2nd Amendment exists. Did Prohibition stop the sale, consumption, and production of alcohol? Do drug laws stop the sale, consumption, and production of illegal drugs? What makes you think the law itself, allowing Americans to own guns, is the reason so many people have guns?

And guns "in God only knows what kind of hands" are usually not legal guns. The majority of gangbangers in Chicago sure as hell don't have legally obtained guns.

How about arm yourselves against violent intruders who want to harm you or your family? Or steal from you? Maybe violent, random home invasions are rare, but they DO happen. Why should an innocent homeowner die in their home just because some thug decides he wants to break in, rob, rape, and kill one night? Just because he may be my fellow citizen doesn't mean I'm going to be all gung ho and let him live and let him harm me and my family.

I agree this story is awful and suspicious, and this woman who shot her daughter is clearly incredibly stupid. Like others have said, why the hell not ask "who's there?" or wait quietly until you see the person to start shooting? She's either a total idiot or this wasn't an accident.
BECAUSE my dear, that is the very law that is parroted like a mantra to EXPLAIN the whole conundrum of firearms in America AND yours is the only country with so many of them LEGALLY in the hands of goofs who shouldn't have them.

How about you do something pro-active either about your irrational fear of or the existence of all the violent home invaders in your country? Wouldn't that seem to be priority one.

Ever stop to think it's that stupid amendment that has gotten you to the state of being the Land of the decidedly Un-free and Home of the Fearful. Freedom by anyone's measure is not fearing for your own safety to the extent all this firearm ownership is required just to get you through your daily grind.

Christahmighty; you people can find a potential boogyman hiding under Santa's sleigh.

Now as to this latest example being an idiot woman; how many idiot examples will it take to convince you firearms are nothing more than the BEGINNING of the problem. Every day it's another idiot with a gun in her purse whose kiddie riding the shopping cart pulled the trigger on a gun ready to rip, or a father shooting his son who was pretending to be an invader or some nut succumbing to a bout of road rage.

Even your forebears were smart enough to realize that conundrum and hence the first laws being formatted controlling their entry into the city limits.

If there is one thing Americans are superlative at it is stubbornly REFUSING to learn from their history.

You people have got to give up on this obsession over your bang, bang toys; they are making you neither free nor brave, just dead..

Old 01-01-2016, 03:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am also prepared to defend myself with my gun.

But, and also like you, I will not actively hunt an intruder. This is for two reasons. First, I don't own any 'stuff' that is worth taking a human life for and, second, actually going looking for an intruder increases the risk of me getting shot if he/she is armed.

I can activate my alarm from 4 different places in my home and I can lock myself in my bedroom or my office. If an intruder comes looking for me then I will defend myself. I know where the bedroom or office door is but they don't know where in those rooms I am. That gives me much better odds than going looking for the intruder.
I had an intruder in my house once one fine Sunday afternoon. A large man with a stocking over his head. He was not only in my house, but behind me with wielding a large knife before I ever heard a noise. Even if I had had a gun strapped to my ankle, I would not have been able to grab it before he had his hands on me. Had I had guns in the house, they would have been of far more benefit to him than me.

True story. The Pittsburgh, PA, police were involved and all my neighbors knew if you think I'm making this up.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I had an intruder in my house once one fine Sunday afternoon. A large man with a stocking over his head. He was not only in my house, but behind me with wielding a large knife before I ever heard a noise. Even if I had had a gun strapped to my ankle, I would not have been able to grab it before he had his hands on me. Had I had guns in the house, they would have been of far more benefit to him than me.

True story. The Pittsburgh, PA, police were involved and all my neighbors knew if you think I'm making this up.
I believe you. Every situation is different and there are no perfect answers. Obviously the ability to defend oneself also depends on the circumstances of the intrusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies