Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Honestly, please spare me this sort of nonsense, or also please note your general ability to process and judge is sorely lacking...
See, you don't like me contradicting you, so therefore it's my fault....or I don't have the ability to understand....

Classic leftist drivel.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Yeah, but the mass shootings that the OP is talking about were by first time offenders. I think the background check is a good idea, and I don't see how it hinders law-abiding gun owners in any way. But I think if the US really wants to try to reduce these tragedies they would push for more gun education. People who are informed tend to make better decisions. Like perhaps not leaving your guns where angry and/or mentality disturbed family members can get to them.
Yes. Most guns laws won't prevent mass shootings of the type we've seen recently, although the restrictions on automatic weapons could potentially help to limit damage to some extent.

I think one way to reduce mass shootings would be for news agencies to stop plastering the news of such shootings all over the front pages and turning the shooters into celebrities. Hard to stop, of course, because news of this sort makes lots of money from the advertising that supports the news agency. I'm afraid the only way to curb this is for consumers to boycott news sources that plaster mass shootings on the front pages. But that's not likely to happen.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
But laws do give law enforcement authorities the legal right to arrest someone if they break the law. If X is not illegal, then the police can't arrest you for X. We can't catch everyone, but the one's that we do catch are generally taken out of the picture for a while at least.

And being against the law does prevent some people from doing things that they might otherwise do. If it is illegal to sell guns without doing a background check, then most people will do background checks, which means that felons who want guns will need to get them some other way, and these "other ways" provide opportunities for law enforcement to catch them before they get the gun in there hands.

If the vast majority of violent crimes were committed by first-time offenders, then gun laws would be almost completely ineffective, no matter how well we enforced them, or how good our prosecution rate happens to be. But since the majority of crimes are committed by repeat offenders, there is the possibility of actually reducing the crime rates if we can keep guns out of the hands of repeat offenders (or, at least, make it a bit harder and riskier for them to get them).

Please explain what value a gun registration brings? The DOJ already has that information from the sale. How does logging redundant information stop a mass shooting. They already know who has semi-autos so it appears this law is to make innocent people criminals. What is the purpose of that? Historically it's been 15% compliance. Why even bother? So no, making it a law doesn't mean "most" will do it.
We've already discussed how easy it is to buy a gun by parts legally so do we even need to go there?

Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
But laws do give law enforcement authorities the legal right to arrest someone if they break the law. If X is not illegal, then the police can't arrest you for X. We can't catch everyone, but the one's that we do catch are generally taken out of the picture for a while at least.

And being against the law does prevent some people from doing things that they might otherwise do. If it is illegal to sell guns without doing a background check, then most people will do background checks, which means that felons who want guns will need to get them some other way, and these "other ways" provide opportunities for law enforcement to catch them before they get the gun in there hands.

If the vast majority of violent crimes were committed by first-time offenders, then gun laws would be almost completely ineffective, no matter how well we enforced them, or how good our prosecution rate happens to be. But since the majority of crimes are committed by repeat offenders, there is the possibility of actually reducing the crime rates if we can keep guns out of the hands of repeat offenders (or, at least, make it a bit harder and riskier for them to get them).

But I can make my own gun if any style and caliber I wish, in less time than it takes for a wait time to get a gun from a "legal dealer"

I can cut the body and parts for a 1911, in 6 hours.
45 minutes to assemble.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Default I ask again, and again, and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, we continue to hear that common sense laws are what is needed, yet more back ground checks are needed. We've heard it but what will it do? Do tell? ANd remember, when you speak, don't speak about the law abiding citizen, talk about gangs.....

Extended back ground checks....
I don't recall advocating "common sense laws," and again I simply ask that I be quoted verbatim when it comes to what you "hear." I won't entertain another straw man argument. Give me what specific gun-control measure is either the law and/or being considered for passage, and I will give my opinion about what I would support or not. Meanwhile, most if not all I have been arguing is why all too many anti-gun control arguments are weak and/or why gun-control laws are not necessarily unconstitutional.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
I don't recall advocating "common sense laws," and again I simply ask that I be quoted verbatim when it comes to what you "hear." I won't entertain another straw man argument. Give me what specific gun-control measure is either the law and/or being considered for passage, and I will give my opinion about what I would support or not. Meanwhile, most if not all I have been arguing is why all too many anti-gun control arguments are weak and/or why gun-control laws are not necessarily unconstitutional.

Maybe you missed this below, and I really don't care if you ever have or will advocate "common sense law" you support people that do, and yes I did provide very specific law of what I was talking about.

It appears you just don't have anything to come back with...

Quote:
No, we continue to hear that common sense laws are what is needed, yet more back ground checks are needed. We've heard it but what will it do? Do tell? ANd remember, when you speak, don't speak about the law abiding citizen, talk about gangs.....

Extended back ground checks....

People such as you who think knee jerk reaction or feel good reactions are going to fix the problem

Yet, you don't want the 5' woman to have a gun....

I've read them....that's why I'm responding the way I did....

We're all keyboard something or another....blah blah....

Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Maybe you missed this below, and I really don't care if you ever have or will advocate "common sense law" you support people that do, and yes I did provide very specific law of what I was talking about.

It appears you just don't have anything to come back with...
I ask you to quote me verbatim and instead you quote yourself?

Wow, that takes the straw man argument to a whole new level!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 AM

MESSAGE TO chucksnee:

False claims do not an argument make...

If you can find where I wrote I don't want the 5' woman to have a gun, that would be good too, really good, a small miracle in fact..., but it has to be my words, not yours! This is what I do really appreciate about a public forum like this. The record is all there in black and white, and all anyone need do is read your ridiculous claims about my position (as YOU want to portray it) vs what I actually write -- verbatim -- and the source of the BS becomes plainly clear.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
[b] How do you know how many shootings have been prevented by background checks? There is no way of knowing how many people planned one, but gave up on it because they were denied a gun.
Anyone?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:53 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Actually you quite emphatically stated that gun owners should be happy to buy guns only off the "approved list" after you swore that you never heard of anyone being denied buying whatever gun they wanted.

At this point, your just trolling or have a bad case of Alzheimer's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies