Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 04:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wow! The valuable lessons learned and information gathered here sometimes truly astound me!
Now you're just trolling the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Default Where does it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
This is the second time I asked it, because you did not read nice and slow....

What did the EO do that was not already in place? What is the EO going to do for those who don't obey current laws? Better yet, why add more laws to laws that are not enforced?
With all due respect, you finally asked me a simple straight-forward question that I answered in the same way. I gave you my answer, and I told you why. Next, I get another battery of questions...

I''m not sure this is fair or reasonable, because one of the main reasons I wanted you to cut to the chase was to avoid all the misrepresentation and interpretation of my position rather than what I have actually written. That now I need to continue another whole line of questioning without clear direction tires me out as I am sure it would anyone...

Frankly, I think politicians, most certainly including Obama, are under a whole lot of pressure to say and do what they can to address the public outrage over what lots of people view as far too much gun violence, whether in Chicago or at any of the too many mass shootings at schools and theaters and the like, so they walk that difficult line of doing what they can rather than what lots of pro-gun rights folks want instead.

IOW, do something rather than nothing.

Also quite frankly, and I've said this before, we are well beyond any satisfactory gun-control measure that will stem the tide of gun-violence to any significant degree. Obama and those so inclined are simply doing all they can to but band aides where the bleeding just won't stop, no doubt to the serious disappointment of all of us for all variety of reasons.

A lot like the drug problem it seems in that we can do some things, but we can't stop the problem.

In both cases, however, most people are just not willing to accept doing nothing...

Old 01-19-2016, 04:39 PM

22 posts, read 19,808 times
Quote:
I said extended back ground checks, whether I quoted myself or obama, it's still the same, he signed the EO....do you agree with it or not?

I was being facetious when I was talking about the 5' woman because that is what you are advocating.

Ir is being facetious only applicable to lefties such as you?

executive orders and executive action are completely do different things.
Obama sign a Executive action. NO laws have been changed

Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Pay Attention Liberals: Background Checks Would Not Have Stopped Even A Single Recent Mass Shooting

It's been proven, murder laws don't stop murder, I suppose they should be abandoned too, eh?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:41 PM

Back ground checks have not prevented a single massacre.
Back ground checks have not prevented a single murder.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Playing constitutional law experts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Correct.

And they were wrong.
Article 1, Section 8 - Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
Just like in the 2nd Amendment, "regulate" does not mean control. It means "to make it run smoothly". So if Virginia was taxing goods traveling from Maryland to North Carolina then Congress could step in and "regulate" commerce.

Here's the longer version - https://www.bu.edu/rbarnett/Original.htm

What if I construct my own suppressor, it never leaves the state of MS and I never sell it. No commerce involved. Nothing was interstate either. Am I subject to the National Firearms Act of 1934?
I'm always a little reluctant to pretend anyone here, including me, is qualified to debate constitutional law, let alone make rulings regardless of what precedent has been established by the very same legal system set up by our Constitution, but I have to admit I find the exercise interesting. So...

I am also always with a little smile on my face when I read what was on the minds of our founding fathers back then unlike the issues we face today, for example the regulation of commerce with the Indian Tribes.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

But what of the arguments that have been brought to the courts at all levels having to do with regulation of products like drugs, petroleum, tobacco and all the rest. Is the argument here that even all the legal experts past and present all got it wrong while C-D commentators know better? That's not a real confidence builder for me, especially as I have seen first hand some of the logic presented by some folks in these threads that truly defies the imagination.

Aside from all that, I wonder if maybe it is appropriate to also consider the "necessary and proper" clause, because..., well it is also there to consider, and in light of what most reasonable people view as a necessity when it comes to some of these products and the need for regulation, I find it hard to believe our founding fathers would leave us without that ability.

Maybe over my head and above my pay grade, but I am more inclined to think the "necessary and proper" clause serves us here enough to prevent us from needing a new amendment that addresses the clear necessity to regulate products and services in our modern-day economy/society.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:48 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Usually the DA just looks at the case and throws them out because they are for stupid stuff like 'brandishing" a weapon and the report lists it as some guy hunting and some flatlander "saw a gun" and called 911. A lot of those get written by LE that barely knows laws related to hunting, shooting or transportation.
That makes it O.K.?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
With all due respect, you finally asked me a simple straight-forward question that I answered in the same way. I gave you my answer, and I told you why. Next, I get another battery of questions...
And, you also asked me "If I am wrong about that, please explain how or why" right, therefore, I provided more questions to help everyone understand your responses.

Quote:
I''m not sure this is fair or reasonable, because one of the main reasons I wanted you to cut to the chase was to avoid all the misrepresentation and interpretation of my position rather than what I have actually written. That now I need to continue another whole line of questioning without clear direction tires me out as I am sure it would anyone...

What you write is black and white, yes? This is why I'm glad I'm on a public board so everyone can see what you have written. It's here for everyone to interpret, yes?

Quote:
Frankly, I think politicians, most certainly including Obama, are under a whole lot of pressure to say and do what they can to address the public outrage over what lots of people view as far too much gun violence, whether in Chicago or at any of the too many mass shootings at schools and theaters and the like, so they walk that difficult line of doing what they can rather than what lots of pro-gun rights folks want instead.

Except chicago is not national news, neither are all the other daily shootings that occur throughout, only what the left leaning media wants you to see, mass shootings at schools and theaters and the like.

Quote:
IOW, do something rather than nothing.
I do, I teach children to respect guns. What do you do?

Quote:
Also quite frankly, and I've said this before, we are well beyond any satisfactory gun-control measure that will stem the tide of gun-violence to any significant degree. Obama and those so inclined are simply doing all they can to but band aides where the bleeding just won't stop, no doubt to the serious disappointment of all of us for all variety of reasons.
Yes, it's serious, but as you stated earlier, it's "mass shootings at schools and theaters and the like" that is focused on, yet the 3 and 5 year old killed in drive by shootings goes to the way side... how is that helping your side?

Quote:
A lot like the drug problem it seems in that we can do some things, but we can't stop the problem.
A lot has been done, look at all the laws? <<<<<<Do you not see the hypocrisy?

Quote:
In both cases, however, most people are just not willing to accept doing nothing...
Much has been done in both cases, however, people such as you continue to say more laws are needed.

Because current laws are enforced, yes?

Old 01-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Feel good laws to fool the stupid ignorant idiots, into a false sense of security, thinking it solves something.

Or a foot in the door to totally banning guns one day.
Shall not be infringed, means you may die, taking them away.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
And, you also asked me "If I am wrong about that, please explain how or why" right, therefore, I provided more questions to help everyone understand your responses.
Please do me the favor of just explaining, not asking more and more questions.

Quote:
What you write is black and white, yes? This is why I'm glad I'm on a public board so everyone can see what you have written. It's here for everyone to interpret, yes?
Something I am very glad about too, but why all the "interpretation?" Why not just quote verbatim?

Quote:
Except chicago is not national news, neither are all the other daily shootings that occur throughout, only what the left leaning media wants you to see, mass shootings at schools and theaters and the like.
I disagree. Chicago is in the national news quite a bit, also often referred to as a "hot spot" when it comes to gun violence and rightfully so, but what point is that if you want to dismiss anything you don't feel worthy of national news as some sort of media conspiracy?

Quote:
I do, I teach children to respect guns. What do you do?
Been a while since I had children to teach in my house, but what I did was keep the house free of guns, because I still well remember finding my dad's gun when I was 10 years old, where I was not supposed to be looking. Call me a bad boy. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep my kids from the same risk when they went over to their friend's house. I've tried to teach a good deal else when it comes to guns but it has not included a love or need for them. I respect that people are different that way, however, and the 2A.

Quote:
Yes, it's serious, but as you stated earlier, it's "mass shootings at schools and theaters and the like" that is focused on, yet the 3 and 5 year old killed in drive by shootings goes to the way side... how is that helping your side?
How is that representative of "my side?" I'm still not sure you even know what "my side" really is, but no one on "my side" considers kids killed in drive bys any less tragic or any less part of the problem, certainly not me!

Quote:
A lot has been done, look at all the laws? <<<<<<Do you not see the hypocrisy?
If you mean I am being a hypocrite, no.

Quote:
Much has been done in both cases, however, people such as you continue to say more laws are needed. Because current laws are enforced, yes?
Not exactly. Ultimately I have argued that continued evaluation of what more or better gun-control measures may be appropriate IS appropriate and not "anti-2A" like "your side" wants to insist. Like Obama's EO, I don't dismiss it out of hand like "your side" does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies