Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
On what basis do you think the EO's "will do nothing to prosecute criminals trying to buy guns"? The proposals are not as clear as I would like, but I see at least two that seem to suggest increasing efforts to prosecute:

- Urges Congress to pass the administration’s $4 billion proposal to keep 15,000 state and local police officers on the street to help deter gun crime.
- Maximizes efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. The president calls upon the attorney general to work with U.S. attorneys across the country to determine gaps occurring in this area and where supplemental resources are appropriate.

Increasing prosecutions will take more law enforcement resources to go out and make arrests, and more judicial resources. If congress does not fund the extra resources, then you might be right; most likely nothing will change (at least until a new congress is elected). The extra resources and "determine gaps" language suggests that some effort will be made. Has Obama, or anyone in his administration actually said "We're not going to prosecute?"

President Obama
You do know any goal without measurement is crap right?

If he said "We will improve the prosecution rate for background check denials to 80% in the next five years or the Director of ATF should be fired," I'd be 100% behind him!

Why I feel the need to quote Uncle Joe, who said on record, "We don't have time for that"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:24 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You must be from Manitiwoc County. That kind of backwards thinking is pervasive there.
Well you folks are too reactive. It's the paradox of being anti government.. You folks just can't be proactive so things are decided for you then you react.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They would have to go door to door ransacking every property, even yours.
Nah, I don't believe in your paranoid ramblings.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Legal automatic weapons have only been used in 2 or 3 crimes since the laws affecting them were passed in 1934. So, what damage are you referring to?

Background checks by licensed dealers are already required to be performed in all 50 states. Another background check law won't affect anybody but law-abiding citizens. Criminals won't be affected at all by another background check law, and as has been pointed out numerous times, a background check law wouldn't have prevented any of the mass shootings in recent history.

Some people stupidly say well, why have any laws if they won't prevent crime. The answer is that nobody is saying not to have any laws. But when laws are passed that don't affect criminals but only affect law-abiding Americans, what's the point?

And finally, there is no legal way for a felon to acquire firearms now! More laws won't have any effect on them!

I don't see why it's so hard to understand except that some people just want to stay in the dark as they propose more feel-good legislation that won't do anything!
How are law abiding citizens being affected more? Where are your gun control solutions? All you are doing is saying what won't work and offering no solutions.

I'll repeat, our gun laws are intentionally complex and full of loopholes with laws changing from state to state and county to county in order to tell as many guns as possible. The system is actually setup to sell lots of guns. Federalize gun regulations. Then, what about mental health? What type of mental health issues need to be looked at to prevent gun ownership.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Default You are confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
See above, do you not research things? Do you not read other reviews or want to make sure you understand the entire position of the person you are questioning?

oppps, I asked more questions.....dare I say I won't get an answer?
I have engaged in all too many Q&As to count, but I am not used to this amount of work simply to get to the heart of the matter, the bottom line...

Of course, we all do our research however we might define it, and I know I read quite a bit of information on a daily basis from all variety of news sources, both national and foreign, well more informative and productive than time spent here, but the big difference is that this is interactive, a place to come test one's positions if you will...

I enjoy much of that kind of thing even though I have no illusions about changing anyone's mind about anything (see my Cement Theory about that if you like).

All that said, I maintain, in fact I try to insist that my words be quoted verbatim, because they should speak for themselves. I don't see any of the rest you go on about as any sort of excuse to misrepresent someone else's view, twist or interpret them to your liking, per your agenda...

Simply quote what it is I've written verbatim, tell me why you think my view is not accurate, and I will simply respond as best I can as time allows, just like we all do according to our whims. What you won't find me doing, not intentionally anyway, is creating straw man arguments with what I "interpret" you to be saying.

Have I adequately answered your question here? Plus some?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have engaged in all too many Q&As to count, but I am not used to this amount of work simply to get to the heart of the matter, the bottom line...

Of course, we all do our research however we might define it, and I know I read quite a bit of information on a daily basis from all variety of news sources, both national and foreign, well more informative and productive than time spent here, but the big difference is that this is interactive, a place to come test one's positions if you will...

I enjoy much of that kind of thing even though I have no illusions about changing anyone's mind about anything (see my Cement Theory about that if you like).

All that said, I maintain, in fact try to insist that my words be quoted verbatim, because they should speak for themselves. I don't see any of the rest you go on about as any sort of excuse to misrepresent someone else's view, twist or interpret them to your liking, per your agenda...

Simply quote what it is I've written verbatim, tell me why you think my view is not accurate, and I will simply respond as best I can as time allows, just like we all do according to our whims. What you won't find me doing, not intentionally anyway, is creating straw man arguments with what I "interpret" you to be saying.

Have I adequately answered your question here? Plus some?
Lol.... That poster loves to move the goal posts when shown to be incorrect or lacking in knowledge.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:38 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So your answer is, you only take one question at a time? I do not have the position to further the conversation to figure out what you overall stance is?

See above, do you not research things? Do you not read other reviews or want to make sure you understand the entire position of the person you are questioning?

oppps, I asked more questions.....dare I say I won't get an answer?

No really. Maybe when the police are killed.

WOW, so you don't let your children go to other people houses?

You found you dads gun, you are typing right now, right?

Why do people need cars? IS it because they love them or just want them? Do they need 20 - 30 -40 cars? Whhy?

Because you won't answer questions, see the first post, quote above, you asked me to stop asking questions...

Answer questions, then we can figure it out.

You accept obamas EO, because you agree with it, yet it does nothing. More laws on top of laws does not mean criminals will agree or even adhere to the law.
Well, they can say they "Did something" even if "something" is "nothing".

Old 01-21-2016, 09:44 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
How are law abiding citizens being affected more? Where are your gun control solutions? All you are doing is saying what won't work and offering no solutions.

I'll repeat, our gun laws are intentionally complex and full of loopholes with laws changing from state to state and county to county in order to tell as many guns as possible. The system is actually setup to sell lots of guns. Federalize gun regulations. Then, what about mental health? What type of mental health issues need to be looked at to prevent gun ownership.
As was stated beyond count now.
Example A
If I'm a felon I walk into a gun store, buy an 80% lower, get the parts kit and upper of my choice. I can't legally put it together in an hour but I can and will. No questions asked, no background fees. All vetted by the ATF and DOJ.
Example B
I have no record, walk into a gun store, fill out the forms, pay the fees for DROS, get a background check and wait the required "cooling off period".

Sound fair?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 AM

Default For the love of the poster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Lol.... That poster loves to move the goal posts when shown to be incorrect or lacking in knowledge.
"Shown to be incorrect?"

You will need to do a good deal better than this, and hopefully you are capable, rather than just say so...

Old 01-21-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Fun scenarios, examples and anecdotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As was stated beyond count now.
Example A
If I'm a felon I walk into a gun store, buy an 80% lower, get the parts kit and upper of my choice. I can't legally put it together in an hour but I can and will. No questions asked, no background fees. All vetted by the ATF and DOJ.
Example B
I have no record, walk into a gun store, fill out the forms, pay the fees for DROS, get a background check and wait the required "cooling off period".

Sound fair?
Hard to tell the bottom line here either, the great conclusion drawn from all this knowledge and wisdom, but if we are talking about the problems of gun violence, simple examples or comparisons like this don't even begin to approach all the various scenarios that comprise these statistics, as posted before, true or false?

A simple question that doesn't require another battery of questions and certainly not more unsubstantiated hot air let's-play-guns one-liners...

Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and injuries annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000), 21,175 by suicide with a firearm, 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent" for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.

In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicides, and 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S. In 2010, 358 murders were reported involving a rifle while 6,009 were reported involving a handgun; another 1,939 were reported with an unspecified type of firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies