Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Talking about the person you were replying to. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks! Good to know as I bid y'all the best with the rest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Default I really should be going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's pointless because you ignore all the logic, reason, truth and science.

It would be more productive if you just admit that you don't like guns and furthermore you don't want anybody else having them.
Mr. lifeexplorer, this comment here truly represents the most significant problem of all when it comes to what seem to be adults attempting reason and logic in the face of disagreement.

I do not dislike guns! I have enjoyed shooting them before I started a family, while I had a family, and after my kids grew up and left the house...

I have over and over expressed my very strong and sincere belief in our right to bear arms, and assuming you were a fellow law-abiding citizen, I would come to your rescue to support your right to bear arms if it were truly threatened in my opinion.

That you and others like you cannot face these truths, but instead insist on creating your own straw man arguments for the comfort of your weak arguments, is what I really should ignore, and why I'm moving on. You just can't understand that someone like me can be perfectly okay with guns properly used and yet also willing to consider gun-control measures.

I know better than to argue with someone who won't even accept what I know to be true about myself!

Better things to do, no question about that!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:39 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If he said "We will improve the prosecution rate for background check denials to 80% in the next five years or the Director of ATF should be fired," I'd be 100% behind him!
It sounds like you and I agree on the key issue. We both believe that people who fail background checks should be prosecuted. Gun laws should be enforced. You are apparently convinced that Obama's EOs are pointless because they won't lead to any better enforcement. I am more hopeful, but ultimately agnostic on this. I applaud the talk, but now I want to see his administration walk the walk. I see nothing to be gained by simply assuming, up front, that it is all just lies and/or posturing. Instead, I simply want to pay attention and see what he actually does. The proof, or lack of it, will be in the pudding, or not.

I also hope that constituents will pressure congress to fund the increased enforcement, but I suspect that this congress will not be very helpful.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
So it's gone from "punishing and inconveniencing law-abiding citizens" to "fairness".

All you're doing is corroborating my notion that gun laws are intentionally a patchwork, in both your example the gun was eventually sold and/or assembled.
State by State, yes it's a mess. My point above is that the law is pointless and layering another law on top of it makes it super extra background checks? Super extra worthless background checks for the law abiding.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:28 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have engaged in all too many Q&As to count, but I am not used to this amount of work simply to get to the heart of the matter, the bottom line...

Of course, we all do our research however we might define it, and I know I read quite a bit of information on a daily basis from all variety of news sources, both national and foreign, well more informative and productive than time spent here, but the big difference is that this is interactive, a place to come test one's positions if you will...

I enjoy much of that kind of thing even though I have no illusions about changing anyone's mind about anything (see my Cement Theory about that if you like).

All that said, I maintain, in fact I try to insist that my words be quoted verbatim, because they should speak for themselves. I don't see any of the rest you go on about as any sort of excuse to misrepresent someone else's view, twist or interpret them to your liking, per your agenda...

Simply quote what it is I've written verbatim, tell me why you think my view is not accurate, and I will simply respond as best I can as time allows, just like we all do according to our whims. What you won't find me doing, not intentionally anyway, is creating straw man arguments with what I "interpret" you to be saying.

Have I adequately answered your question here? Plus some?
TO the bold, you admit yuo just talk crap and you don't even know what thread your in...Hahahhaa

Quote:
Lol.... That poster loves to move the goal posts when shown to be incorrect or lacking in knowledge.
Prove it, or you are just a person who cannot answer questions and throws the "moving the goal post" crap out there to make yourself feel better....

Old 01-21-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, they can say they "Did something" even if "something" is "nothing".
To many, it makes them feel good.....

Old 01-21-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Talking about the person you were replying to. Sorry for the confusion.
Yet the person you just replied to refuses to post any links......

Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Is that a question?
I'll answer...

Nope just a comment...

Quote:
Some other gun-related numbers there to consider, for some to consider anyway.
What are they?

Quote:
Also, with all due respect to your customary quick snapshot response, percent of total firearms is not everyone's end-all measure of comparison, nor just homicides the only issue.
What are they, you seem to be adding stuff to the overall discussion, seem you are moving the goal post because you cannot answer very basic questions....or just refuse, then complain....

Quote:
There are other denominators a bit more relevant. That's likely another case of "moving goal posts" for you, and I know how difficult that must seem when you always want to suggest you are scoring points, but I will respectfully suggest instead there is a bit more to consider than you seem willing or able...
If there are OTHER denominators a bit more relevant, then what are they? Or YOU are moving the goal post and bringing other things into the discussion, and then complaining about anyone not knowing what you are talking about...

Old 01-22-2016, 12:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Nah, I don't believe in your paranoid ramblings.

There is no other way. Anything else would be a false sense of security. and get this, it would have to be a monthly if not weekly deal, to keep weapons from the people.

That means your house and business, too.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As was stated beyond count now.
Example A
If I'm a felon I walk into a gun store, buy an 80% lower, get the parts kit and upper of my choice. I can't legally put it together in an hour but I can and will. No questions asked, no background fees. All vetted by the ATF and DOJ.
Example B
I have no record, walk into a gun store, fill out the forms, pay the fees for DROS, get a background check and wait the required "cooling off period".

Sound fair?

Which of those parts are serial numbered....... LOL!
I'm not talking a part number either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies