Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hard to tell the bottom line here either, the great conclusion drawn from all this knowledge and wisdom, but if we are talking about the problems of gun violence, simple examples or comparisons like this don't even begin to approach all the various scenarios that comprise these statistics, as posted before, true or false?

A simple question that doesn't require another battery of questions and certainly not more unsubstantiated hot air let's-play-guns one-liners...

Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and injuries annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000), 21,175 by suicide with a firearm, 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent" for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.

In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicides, and 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S. In 2010, 358 murders were reported involving a rifle while 6,009 were reported involving a handgun; another 1,939 were reported with an unspecified type of firearm.
So less than 1% of all deaths (homicides) are firearm related. Out of 330 million firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Hard to tell the bottom line here either, the great conclusion drawn from all this knowledge and wisdom, but if we are talking about the problems of gun violence, simple examples or comparisons like this don't even begin to approach all the various scenarios that comprise these statistics, as posted before, true or false?

A simple question that doesn't require another battery of questions and certainly not more unsubstantiated hot air let's-play-guns one-liners...

Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and injuries annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000), 21,175 by suicide with a firearm, 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent" for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.

In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicides, and 11,078 firearm-related homicides in the U.S. In 2010, 358 murders were reported involving a rifle while 6,009 were reported involving a handgun; another 1,939 were reported with an unspecified type of firearm.
Impressive amount of time and typing you devote to your cause. Bottom line, I personally don't care about your reasons to restrict firearm ownership.
We have the Second Amendment, and that will win the argument every time.
Give it up.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Default Good with numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So less than 1% of all deaths (homicides) are firearm related. Out of 330 million firearms.
Is that a question?

Some other gun-related numbers there to consider, for some to consider anyway. Also, with all due respect to your customary quick snapshot response, percent of total firearms is not everyone's end-all measure of comparison, nor just homicides the only issue. There are other denominators a bit more relevant. That's likely another case of "moving goal posts" for you, and I know how difficult that must seem when you always want to suggest you are scoring points, but I will respectfully suggest instead there is a bit more to consider than you seem willing or able...

Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Is that a question?

Some other gun-related numbers there to consider, for some to consider anyway. Also, with all due respect to your customary quick snapshot response, percent of total firearms is not everyone's end-all measure of comparison, nor just homicides the only issue. There are other denominators a bit more relevant. That's likely another case of "moving goal posts" for you, and I know how difficult that must seem when you always want to suggest you are scoring points, but I will respectfully suggest instead there is a bit more to consider than you seem willing or able...
Just trying to agree with your number. It is less than 1% right? Yet you lefties spend MOST of your time thinking that is the real problem. When the numbers are right there. Less than 1%. Hilarious.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Correction. More like 400 million firearms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...and-then-some/

This is the liberal proof that firearm ownership cause death.

I also like how the article lies by quoting highly unethical Harvard School of Public Health:

"It's important to note that even as the number of guns has increased since the early-to-mid-90s, the per-capita gun homicide rate has fallen by nearly half over the same time period. On the other hand, it's also true that when you make comparisons between states and countries, you see that places with more guns have more gun homicides, as research from the Harvard School of Public Health shows."

Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Impressive amount of time and typing you devote to your cause. Bottom line, I personally don't care about your reasons to restrict firearm ownership.
We have the Second Amendment, and that will win the argument every time.
Give it up.
I really appreciate this comment, because it reminded me of signing off from another gun thread, for all the good reasons summed up in this comment here. Some of us more than others have gone around and around on every aspect of this issue; from who cares what anyone else thinks, to the base 2A arguments and all the rest. This is a discussion that strikes me as a fair bit more pointless than the others, because there really is no more getting through to people paranoid about losing their guns than there is a solution to gun violence. All I've learned here is a bit more of the mentality that drives the NRA types.

At least the other public policy matters and choices we have to choose from don't seem so bleak...

Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
"Shown to be incorrect?"

You will need to do a good deal better than this, and hopefully you are capable, rather than just say so...
Talking about the person you were replying to. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
As was stated beyond count now.
Example A
If I'm a felon I walk into a gun store, buy an 80% lower, get the parts kit and upper of my choice. I can't legally put it together in an hour but I can and will. No questions asked, no background fees. All vetted by the ATF and DOJ.
Example B
I have no record, walk into a gun store, fill out the forms, pay the fees for DROS, get a background check and wait the required "cooling off period".

Sound fair?
So it's gone from "punishing and inconveniencing law-abiding citizens" to "fairness".

All you're doing is corroborating my notion that gun laws are intentionally a patchwork, in both your example the gun was eventually sold and/or assembled.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
I really appreciate this comment, because it reminded me of signing off from another gun thread, for all the good reasons summed up in this comment here. Some of us more than others have gone around and around on every aspect of this issue; from who cares what anyone else thinks, to the base 2A arguments and all the rest. This is a discussion that strikes me as a fair bit more pointless than the others, because there really is no more getting through to people paranoid about losing their guns than there is a solution to gun violence. All I've learned here is a bit more of the mentality that drives the NRA types.

At least the other public policy matters and choices we have to choose from don't seem so bleak...
It's pointless because you ignore all the logic, reason, truth and science.

It would be more productive if you just admit that you don't like guns and furthermore you don't want anybody else having them.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Just trying to agree with your number. It is less than 1% right? Yet you lefties spend MOST of your time thinking that is the real problem. When the numbers are right there. Less than 1%. Hilarious.
And on the otherside, it's laughable the paranoia that has risen from the more gullible type who bought the manufactured gun grabbin' meme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies