Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Polio and German measles for everyone!
Don't forget syphilis. Something else. It is easier to get syphilis than it is to get AIDS.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
Yeah I am sure that's TOTALLY the reason the schools sucked because the white man kept them down....SMH...some people I tell ya...no acceptance of responsibility whatsoever.
No, he is saying that his parents said that because black people were moving into his school system. It's not much different than the White Flight that start in the cities as segregation ended. Black people moved in and White people moved out.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It always was. This utopian paradise people are looking back on simply didn't exist. Sure there were a lot of good things about the past's, and some of which might even be considered better than today. Such as not requiring higher education for a lot of jobs. That doesn't mean erase the bad things about it though. This Country always had division and segregation. That's not even simply due to race, but also due to ethnic heritage. The Irish, Germans, Italians, and Jews were not exactly welcomed with open arms.
THIS!!!

I can't think of one time when we had a united nation. Division has always existed. In fact, the Civil War is proof of this. So many people want to look at the 50s as this idyllic time. And yet, so much bad can be found from those days. And in days before.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 AM

46,966 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Cohesive, united country rather than a divided one.
What cohesion and unity may look like:

Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
No, he is saying that his parents said that because black people were moving into his school system.
to be clear, blacks had 'moved into our school system' in 1969. As you would expect, in a rural, majority-black region of the south.

I was in school in the mid-1980's, a good 10-15 years after desegregation. So my parents had attended 100%-white public schools, and chose to send us to 95%-white private schools.

Quote:
It's not much different than the White Flight that start in the cities as segregation ended. Black people moved in and White people moved out.
Except nobody moved anywhere, in this case. It was simply all the white parents pulling their kids out of public schools, which were now majority-black due to desegregation.

I'm just saying : the idea that the 1950's were "good" is only that way if you pretend that there was not a segregated class of blacks who were being excluded from all that, or if you assume that they are somehow "less American" than whites.

Last edited by le roi; 01-11-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
THIS!!!

I can't think of one time when we had a united nation. Division has always existed. In fact, the Civil War is proof of this. So many people want to look at the 50s as this idyllic time. And yet, so much bad can be found from those days. And in days before.
Exactly! Some people should look at the bitter Congressional debates of the pre and post Civil War Congress to see just how divided things really were. You had two different cultures trying to get along. Flash forward to today and you still have the same two different cultures trying to get along. You didn't see as many differences in political parties because the Democrats ruled everything. However, you saw several regional differences in politics within the party. As I pointed out earlier, I can only imagine the conversations that would have went on had the internet been around during the Civil Rights era. Somehow I think peoples perception of uniformity and cultural homogeneity would be shattered.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
Yeah I am sure that's TOTALLY the reason the schools sucked because the white man kept them down....SMH...some people I tell ya...no acceptance of responsibility whatsoever.
The last time I posted photographs to illustrate 'the black experience in the 20th century', the mods came along and took them down because they were too gruesome.

As a young, ignorant kid I used to be like you. I thought everything was as simple as 'personal responsibility.' But the reality is, my education did not properly inform me of what the 19th and 20th centuries were like for blacks in America. It completely trivialized how badly they were oppressed by whites, both in law and by society.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
to be clear, blacks had 'moved into our school system' in 1969. As you would expect, in a rural, majority-black region of the south.

I was in school in the mid-1980's, a good 10-15 years after desegregation. So my parents had attended 100%-white public schools, and chose to send us to 95%-white private schools.

Except nobody moved anywhere, in this case. It was simply all the white parents pulling their kids out of public schools, which were now majority-black due to desegregation.

The idea that the 1950's were "good" is only that way if you pretend that there was not a segregated class of blacks who were being excluded from all that, or if you assume that they are somehow "less American" than whites.
Yes, but the similarity is there. Whether you moved away from Black people, or left schools that now had Black people in them, the reality was still the same, no?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the similarity is there. Whether you moved away from Black people, or left schools that now had Black people in them, the reality was still the same, no?
Yes, they are similar. Just some of the details are not, and I didn't want to get hung up on them.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 AM

170 posts, read 104,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The last time I posted photographs to illustrate 'the black experience in the 20th century', the mods came along and took them down because they were too gruesome.

As a young, ignorant kid I used to be like you. I thought everything was as simple as 'personal responsibility.' But the reality is, my education did not properly inform me of what the 19th and 20th centuries were like for blacks in America. It completely trivialized how badly they were oppressed by whites, both in law and by society.
Maybe as MANY MANY MANY tests and studies have shown SOME races aren't as bright as others....nothing wrong with it just the way nature made each race. Asians are on average the smartest Blacks on average are on the lower end. Don't blame the schools for the black kids doing badly. Ever heard you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink? Same thing. Can "make equal" anything you want but human nature and genetics and iq you CAN'T change with laws and giveaways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies