Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:49 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You're the one with a growing nose. My mom is 85 and alive and I've asked her extensively about the 1950's. I'll take her eye witness account over leftist lies.

The job market today for people even with college degrees is horrible.
What your mom went through during the 50's doesn't mean every women went through the same thing.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:50 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
You're the one with a growing nose. My mom is 85 and alive and I've asked her extensively about the 1950's. I'll take her eye witness account over leftist lies.

Yes, that's why one year out of college I, and almost all my friends have professional jobs. Depending on the degree jobs can be harder to acquire, but with solid degrees that's not an issue. Somehow I doubt that if I met your Mom that the stories would be anything near what you just made up...excuse me...what you just told me . Of course I have a hard time believing someone who calls anyone that disagrees with them the opposite of their political philosophy for some reason.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What your mom went through during the 50's doesn't mean every women went through the same thing.
I want to venture to say that this is the same as people who bolster their argument with that old chestnut "I know someone who...."I'm sure some women did well in the 40's, but the majority who did work weren't able to break into a lot of fields. Even the ones that did found advancement much harder and in some cases nearly impossible. If he wants to live in the delusional universe in which most women chose to stay at home, and only only don't do so now because of the hippyfeminstcommieliberal influence, then that is his prerogative.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
You're the one with a growing nose. My mom is 85 and alive and I've asked her extensively about the 1950's. I'll take her eye witness account over leftist lies. I'm much younger, only 40, but I saw the country deteriorate further in the '90s due to mostly leftist policies.

Actually, eye witness accounts are often inaccurate as they're subject to bias. It's why in criminal courts, forensic testing is more useful that eyewitness testimony.

And don't get me wrong, it's so easy to reduce issues to left and right. I should know; a few years ago I was pretty much convinced that Republicans holding us back is why things are perfect. But just like an eyewitness report, that sort of thinking is worthless when it's contrasted to reality.

Reality, without the influence of partisan stupidity, pretty much sums up the 1950s as a period of great economic growth. It was a good time for those on the good end of that growth. However, being poor in the 1950s still meant you were poor, and poor people defiantly still existed. As did other social ills.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kDf2711NG7...delmontead.jpg

And yes, the 1950s was kind of sexist. Yes, plenty of women did well. Any intelligent person, however, should not find it far fetched that women in the 1950s didn't all experience the exact same thing though. Some of those women probably loved their lives; others didn't. Facts are facts though. The 1950s housed strict social customs on what each sex could do, and women were quite restricted in a lot of areas. And I'm sorry, studies in culture and pools of eyewitness accounts is, without any real chance of debate, more accurate that what your 85 year old mother has to say about it. Hers is nothing but a piece of the puzzle, but it's absurd to say it's the whole story.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

Well lets compare my maternal Grandmother's life to her husband's my Grandfather's. He fought in WW1 and was exposed to a gas attack and other horrors and suffered linger effects. He was injured working at a factory. He died before age 60 in the 1950's. My grandmother continued to work for the rail road, had a good retirement she lived independently on for a decade or two and died at the age of 80.

So you're right EVERY women had it worse than EVERY man back in the bad 1950's .

Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Actually, eye witness accounts are often inaccurate as they're subject to bias. It's why in criminal courts, forensic testing is more useful that eyewitness testimony.

And don't get me wrong, it's so easy to reduce issues to left and right. I should know; a few years ago I was pretty much convinced that Republicans holding us back is why things are perfect. But just like an eyewitness report, that sort of thinking is worthless when it's contrasted to reality.

Reality, without the influence of partisan stupidity, pretty much sums up the 1950s as a period of great economic growth. It was a good time for those on the good end of that growth. However, being poor in the 1950s still meant you were poor, and poor people defiantly still existed. As did other social ills.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kDf2711NG7...delmontead.jpg

And yes, the 1950s was kind of sexist. Yes, plenty of women did well. Any intelligent person, however, should not find it far fetched that women in the 1950s didn't all experience the exact same thing though. Some of those women probably loved their lives; others didn't. Facts are facts though. The 1950s housed strict social customs on what each sex could do, and women were quite restricted in a lot of areas. And I'm sorry, studies in culture and pools of eyewitness accounts is, without any real chance of debate, more accurate that what your 85 year old mother has to say about it. Hers is nothing but a piece of the puzzle, but it's absurd to say it's the whole story.
What do you mean "kind of" and what plenty of women did well. And please don't give me articles to read. What is your firsthand knowledge of this. Did you grow up in that era

Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Well lets compare my maternal Grandmother's life to her husband's my Grandfather's. He fought in WW1 and was exposed to a gas attack and other horrors and suffered linger effects. He was injured working at a factory. He died before age 60 in the 1950's. My grandmother continued to work for the rail road, had a good retirement she lived independently on for a decade or two and died at the age of 80.

So you're right EVERY women had it worse than EVERY man back in the bad 1950's .
No one said that they did. It's been pointed out that there were aberrations to the norm. Plenty of women were likely even satisfied with their lives at the time. The difference is they had less *not none* opportunities than they do today. My Grandmother finished high school, went to a business school, and worked as an office manager for many years. Doesn't change the fact that she couldn't get a job at the same company her husband walked into with no formal training, nor high school education, and got a job at.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:08 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

You just don't get it. I have many, many relatives that were born in the 1930s many of them still alive or were alive the past decade or two. They ALL described life back then has more normal, more fair and more prosperous and things today as bizarre and dystopian. The leftist brainwashed everyone from the 1960s onward. They do the same thing today.

I've seen the deterioration in America sense the 80s and 90s.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You just don't get it. I have many, many relatives that were born in the 1930s many of them still alive or were alive the past decade or two. They ALL described life back then has more normal, more fair and more prosperous and things today as bizarre and dystopian. The leftist brainwashed everyone from the 1960s onward. They do the same thing today.
Every older person going back to the Natufians has said that about the previous generation. That is simply a product of using the old rose colored glasses is all. All generations have their good things and their problems. However, things get better as we progress as a society. The 40's and 50's had many positive things, but overall things are better in todays day and age. Chances are they will be even better 60-70 years from now as well.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think you want to compare stories about ww1 with people here. We all have our loses during wars. But you are talking about your grandparents. Many here have parents who went through this. So please don't think you are more knowedgable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies