Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 08:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I would imagine that a lot of lynchings were never reported or even investigated as such. Chances are the real numbers were always higher for each year out there.
I guess you can imagine they were in the hundreds if you want and that will justify your beliefs.
I just posted statistics that were gathered which showed 2 lynchings in 1950..one Black and one White.

Guess it goes against people's ideas of what the 50's were like.

History classes are very biased and many people today have inaccurate views of US history.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM

65 posts, read 68,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Quoting another poster:

-More National Unity
-More Wholesomeness

How do you quantify either of these?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess you can imagine they were in the hundreds if you want and that will justify your beliefs.
I just posted statistics that were gathered which showed 2 lynchings in 1950..one Black and one White.

History classes are very biased and many people today have inaccurate views of US history.
so because there were "only" two they don't count? wanna just sweep it under the rug? blacks didn't have it so bad before the civil rights era? is that what you're implying?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:

It might not of been hundreds, but I'm sure that number is larger than being reported. That's nothing new though.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so because there were "only" two they don't count? wanna just sweep it under the rug? blacks didn't have it so bad before the civil rights era? is that what you're implying?
No I wasn't discounting them. Just pointing out that the 1950's had advanced from Reconstruction.

That poster I was replying to indicated that the stats were wrong and were much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiE48 View Post
How do you quantify either of these?
He already did in his second part of the post where he talks about women having babies out of marriage, gays getting married, and abortions being legal.

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
How do you know the guy hung and the one being attacked by the dog didn't commit a crime? Would you rather have it nowadays where murderers sit on death row for 30 years? I think quick and efficient was better.
yes, the guy being hung was a criminal and this was a legal hanging where the state gave him a fair trail and invited the whole town to come watch his hanging.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
No I wasn't discounting them. Just pointing out that the 1950's had advanced from Reconstruction.
Well obviously it was better than it was back then. It still wasn't a paradise for the average black American though.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Me to and I grew up when those things were the norm. The transformation that has happened to this country is disgusting. It all started when Teddy Kennedy open the floodgates to every third world person that could get here. Today, was the icing on the cake. I was playing poker today and was surrounded by some Asians all talking very loudly, laughing constantly about nothing and repeating everything they said over and over. Then they started to fight loudly with one another and then with the dealer. Is this a cultural thing? They were irritating everyone else at the table. Myself and a couple of others just up and left.
On the other hand, today I stopped to eat at a Smashburger. As I sat there and looked around, one table had a mixed family (Asian husband, White wife, and kids); at another table was another mixed couple (Black fellow, White woman); at another table was a lesbian couple; at another table a gay man; at another table 2 young Black men who were very polite; at another table a Black man picking up an order; and at one table a White couple and their 3 kids. Everything was fine. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their late lunch or early dinner. No problems to be seen. That was the real America.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Ah, yes, the wonderful, mythical '50s. Great time to be a white Christian male. As a woman, though, my only choices for a career were a teacher or a nurse--and then only until I found a good man and stayed home to have babies and clean the house.

Nope, I don't miss that at all.

And yet one of the biggest complaints among young women is the lack of men willing and able to let them stay home and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies