Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 PM

580 posts, read 449,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Not really happy with the choices for candidates, I'll never vote for a liberal progressive like Klinton or Sanders especially to their anti 2nd amendment stance.

But I'm not fond of republican choices either. However my vote now will be geared toward the replacement of Scalia rather than a new president and my vote will be toward preventing a liberal anti 2nd amendment judge from getting the job.

I was prepared to sit this next election out but now that is my mission.
Oh please. Your election night plans are safe. Contrary to the idiotic rhetoric being spouted by the leaders of the GOP, Obama will nominate, the senate will confirm, there will be 9 sitting justices on the highest court in the land on election night 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Lefties did not possess the brain power to make their talk shows a success.
I would be careful of criticism of the left, the OP is getting involved in the November elections because he wants a voice in Scalia's replacement, priceless!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Your opinion is noted. However, it is incorrect as a fact.

El Nox
exit polls say he took from both equally. polling from when he dropped out says about the same, if not more Clinton than Bush.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:58 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Conservatives can figure out how to listen on their time without interrupting their busy day at work.
Good point. Every time I have my car worked on, they have a radio back in the shop for the grease monkeys to listen to while they change the oil and rotate the tires. People with ten-second attention spans need the distraction.

As far as the topic of the thread is concerned, this turn of events may actually motivate me to vote as well. I wasn't planning to, because I'll drink Drano before I'll ever vote for a Republican for any office (much less the Presidency), and once again there's nobody on the Democratic side who I can stand to cast a vote for, so I assumed I'd be sitting this one out just as I did 2012.

But, if the Republicans do proceed with their threat to obstruct the replacement of Scalia, then I actually will do something I swore to god I would never do as long as I live - vote for Hillary. I despise the Republican Party and everything it stands for so much that this would be enough to motivate me to do something I've never done before - vote for someone I loathe and hold in complete contempt just to keep the GOP from getting any more power. I feel it would be my duty as a Constitution-loving American citizen.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 02-14-2016 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 05:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Your opinion is noted. However, it is incorrect as a fact.

El Nox
Your objection is noted but another poster comments about exit polling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
exit polls say he took from both equally. polling from when he dropped out says about the same, if not more Clinton than Bush.
THE 1992 ELECTIONS - DISAPPOINTMENT -- NEWS ANALYSIS An Eccentric but No Joke - Perot's Strong Showing Raises Questions On What Might Have Been, and Might Be - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Still, the public was under no obligation to respond to his appeal, and it does appear that Mr. Perot may have mobilized a brand new army, one that is primarily under 45 and one that considers itself neither Republican nor Democrat, but independent -- all the more fitting since Mr. Perot did not run on a party label.
Perot, Bush, Clinton
Quote:
In the great, late-era western “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,†an aged United States senator comes home to attend the burial of a little known man who played a seminal role in the events that launched the senator’s career. The senator tells a newspaper reporter the real story of those events, which is at considerable variation with the legend, and the reporter effectively says, “When the facts collide with the legend, print the legend.â€

So it is with the 1992 presidential election, as even today many reporters state as fact that independent Ross Perot cost George H. W. Bush the presidency. It is, after all, a great narrative: Vengeful billionaire sinks President’s re-election bid. Much sexier than: Billionaire runs for president, draws votes equally from both candidates, doesn’t change outcome. The Perot-as-Bush-destroyer narrative is also highly favored by Republicans; it makes them blameless for the objective conditions in the country extant at the time of the election: “It was that crazy Perot’s fault, not ours.â€
Interesting off-topic side-bar, the times article I listed showed the beginning of the tension we see today with the TEA Party uprising and again with the anti-establishment push in this election cycle with H. Ross Perot voters...
Quote:
A deep distrust of politicians is another distinguishing mark of Mr. Perot's camp. In interviews with voters leaving the polls, conducted by Voter Research and Surveys, 57 percent of the Perot voters agreed that the Government would work better if the voters got rid of all elected officials and selected new ones this year. By comparison, 48 percent of all voters surveyed felt that way. Can't Even Stop It

Old 02-14-2016, 06:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I suspect the low end Democrats who rely on the Govt will be clueless about this issue.

It will bring out more of the conservative vote and probably sweep an R into the White House.
I agree - the GOP has always cared more about the Judiciary, low information voters don't even know what the word Judiciary means and couldn't name a Supreme Court Justice to save their lives.

It's not even the Low Information voters who only understand "vote D" - it's also the recent College Graduates that are clueless. I watch these "man on the street" questions and am astounded at the ignorance.

Report: 10% of college graduates think Judge Judy is on the Supreme Court|CNN 1/19/2016

The poll, conducted by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni in August 2015 but released in January 2016, concluded from the 1,000 surveyed that college graduates "are alarmingly ignorant of America's history and heritage." 59% think Jefferson was the Father of the Constitution, 60% couldn't correctly identify a requirement for ratifying a constitutional amendment and 40% didn't know that Congress has the power to declare war. Less than 50% know that Presidential Impeachments are tried before the Senate. They don't even know the term lengths of the House & Senate. When asked to identify the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment, one-third of Americans could not name a single right; 43% could not even name freedom of speech as one of those rights

Good Grief - there is truly a Crisis in American Civic Education - no wonder we are in such a mess.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Not really happy with the choices for candidates, I'll never vote for a liberal progressive like Klinton or Sanders especially to their anti 2nd amendment stance.

But I'm not fond of republican choices either. However my vote now will be geared toward the replacement of Scalia rather than a new president and my vote will be toward preventing a liberal anti 2nd amendment judge from getting the job.

Good. You should vote. We are polar opposites but I am glad to hear you are voting. BTW, it is Clinton not Klinton. Remember to vote! Cheers.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Do we want another Sonia Sotomayor? Some might, but many don't. I agree with you tho, this topic shouldn't be what makes someone vote. You can protest the choices with a write in vote, or vote for an independent. Ross Perot cost Bush I an election.
Actually it should be. There is nothing more important than a Supreme Court that is balanced and does not lean heavily one way or another. It will affect the future of the U.S. for decades to come. Electing a President or Congress of a particular party is not nearly as important as this is.
Personally, I'd rather see another left wing President elected than add another left wing liberal to the Supreme Court. If you lose the Presidency, you lose a battle. If you totally lose the Supreme Court, you've lost the war.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:

a

Not just Scalia. Ginsberg is near dead as are a few others.

Next pres will most likely have 3 appointments (counting Scalia)

This is probably the most important election in as long as I have been voting since the 60s

Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Lefties did not possess the brain power to make their talk shows a success.
Actually, it's just the opposite. Why do you need talk show hosts telling you how to think. Conservatives seem to need that, democrats don't. So who has the brain power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies