Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 02:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
kidnappers, rapists, drug traffickers, terror cells, (foreign and American), sex-trafficking organziations, Sony studios hackers all rose up to clap. Are they innocent in our utopian land?

The innocent are the 14 dead in SB. The 100+ in Paris but you don't count them since they don't fall under the U.S. constitution but they are a western country ALLY and number one tourist spot for Americans.

The innocent citizens are trying to fight Cyber-crimes and yet they should leave this phone as a safe haven for them? c'mon.

I don't agree with tapping/collecting data 100% either, but there are cases where it's warranted.
Is Apple saying no to letting a Fed sit there while an Apple engineer retrieves the data? They should at least get the data from a dead terrorist. Murderers should not be allowed privacy rights for communication.

Well, it is 50/50 in this debate per the media.
Disclosure: Owner of Samsung Galaxy
Well the USG is "warranting" that Apple unlock the phone for meth dealers on trial.
Apple has been refusing since 2008 to all the demands by the USG to unlock iPhones.

And there is no delineation here. Once Apple caves then that opens the gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:43 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
For crying out loud, this is for the children. How many people need to die? Why is Apple being so difficult? What do they have to hide? Why doesn't anybody need encryption?
This is nothing more than Cook trying to keep his name in the news. He's a media hound. They can do this with hardly any effort. Their OS ALREADY decrypts the data, that's how it accesses it, otherwise it couldn't and the phone would be nothing more than a paperweight. It won't create a backdoor either like all the paranoid people are saying. They would have to have the physical phone and install a new OS on it to get to the data. People seem to think that Apple will release this decryption OS worldwide to ALL iPhone users. They wouldn't. People also seem to think the government will just confiscate your phone against your will and decrypt it. It's all paranoid lunacy. When LEO needs to gain access to a vehicle, they go to the dealership with the VIN and have a key made. Same thing here.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It does no such thing, if you can't figure it out with the OS now a new decrypted one won't do anything for you either, because just like you said, it's proprietary.. The iOS ALREADY decrypts the device or you wouldn't be able to access it. Apple is full of **** when they say they can't. It's already a part of their damn OS. Do you think the government is going to confiscate billions of iPhones and install this decrypted OS on them just for the hell of it or do you think that they will be able to install the OS remotely on anyone's iPhone at will? Both scenarios are complete BS.
Apple is being asked to develop something that doesn't exist....code to hack past the biggest security feature on their product. This is something that does not currently exist today. If they build it, it becomes much easier to either reverse engineer or for someone to steal the solution from Apple, and since its "just lines of code" its easy to have someone at Apple compromise part or all of the solution either intentionally or unintentionally.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the USG is "warranting" that Apple unlock the phone for meth dealers on trial.
Apple has been refusing since 2008 to all the demands by the USG to unlock iPhones.

And there is no delineation here. Once Apple caves then that opens the gate.
They are not above the law. Cook needs to be arrested for obstruction of justice. So can we just deny LEO entry to our houses when they have a warrant too then? Should car dealers not give keys to LEO when they can't access a vehicle? A warrant is warrant and they need to comply or face arrest like everyone else would.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Apple is being asked to develop something that doesn't exist....code to hack past the biggest security feature on their product. This is something that does not currently exist today. If they build it, it becomes much easier to either reverse engineer or for someone to steal the solution from Apple, and since its "just lines of code" its easy to have someone at Apple compromise part or all of the solution either intentionally or unintentionally.
They have it already! Their OS has the decryption keys built into it or you couldn't access the data! How do you think a computer access an encrypted disk drive? It has the decryption keys tied to the user account so the OS can decrypt the data. You login as that user you decrypt the data. Same with the phone, you enter the unlock code or use the fingerprint, it decrypts the data. They can do this in seconds.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:50 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I know its not good practice to edit a quote, but I've only added the red #s into your quote for ease of pointing back to what I'm referencing....havn't touched anything else.

(1) So this is really just about how you and your friends operate? I have pretty strict standards about how I handle private data/info too, and some of it is on my phone, but its pretty damn secure as of right now.

(2) Weak security in other places does not mean that we just blindly give up trying to secure what we do have. And to compare Visa, MC, and any private company security to the security that the government uses is not a fair comparison. I mean the government has notoriously poor standards and have in the past lost SSNs, nuclear information, and information on armed forces folks, its a shoddy operation compared to what private banks do.

Not sure where you were going with the rest of it though.
You'd be surprised at the number of idiots also working at private companies nowadays. I just think people get too uptight about their personal smartphones. I'm just saying whatever sensitve financial and indentifiable info is on your phone is already hackable in other databases so you are not guarding anything unless it's r-to-x-rated adult stuff or obviously criminal. Since, I don't have either on phone, the govt. can have at it with my phone. Since you and millions of other may have one or both of them there, I get it.

This is making me think twice about where I should store photos of the opposite gender vs. my computer. hey, c'mon I 'm not the only one.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
They have it already! Their OS has the decryption keys built into it or you couldn't access the data! How do you think a computer access an encrypted disk drive? It has the decryption keys tied to the user account so the OS can decrypt the data. You login as that user you decrypt the data. Same with the phone, you enter the unlock code or use the fingerprint, it decrypts the data. They can do this in seconds.
Yes, and the only way to decrypt it is to put in the correct password, which neither Apple or the USG has at this point. The hack that the USG is asking Apple to write code for will allow the government to run a brute force attack on the phone running every possible password combination to get into the phone while sideskirting the rule that wipes all data after 10 failed attempts. So is the decryption key already in there? Yes, I guess it is, but can you get it without the password? Nope, no such luck...hence the need for Apple to write new software to break one of its key security features.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
You'd be surprised at the number of idiots also working at private companies nowadays. I just think people get too uptight about their personal smartphones. I'm just saying whatever sensitve financial and indentifiable info is on your phone is already hackable in other databases so you are not guarding anything unless it's r-to-x-rated adult stuff or obviously criminal. Since, I don't have either on phone, the govt. can have at it with my phone. Since you and millions of other may have one or both of them there, I get it.

This is making me think twice about where I should store photos of the opposite gender vs. my computer. hey, c'mon I 'm not the only one.
You seem pretty hung up on making this sound silly by using the old "ehh, its just dirty pictures you are worried about" but the seriousness of it goes well beyond that. If you really don't care about the data on your phone, why not download every character of text, every photo, the call log, and any video and put it on a zip file and upload it to this site. Just because something isn't "pricate" doesn't mean you want it out in the public. Plenty of damage can be done just by someone getting their hands on a regular picture of you with some basic information. I could use it to socially engineer an entire online profile of you, fake facebook and linkedin accounts that could easily destroy your career or personal relationships...just by knowing some simple info and having a regular picture or two of you.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Their software has the capability of allowing the proper pass word to unlock the device. It also has the capability of erasing the device if too many bad passwords are entered. This is all embedded in low level code and hardware and Apple does not have a way in hand to beat it. The court order is to make Apple develop one.

There is not even a guarantee that Apple can develop one. Probably but no certainty and clearly a lot of work.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
This was his work iPhone. You really think he did terrorist conversations on his WORK phone ?
And besides it was his wife that had the terrorist background, not him.

This is smoke and mirrors folks. The USG can grab your email, social network data and phone data already.
What they cannot do though is get into locked cellphones. What could they be possibly looking for on a work cellphone.
I think they are fishing here, making it seem like their lives depend on unlocking this cellphone.

Remember these two had a bunch of throwaway phones that they used, smashed and tossed in the garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies