Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 03:03 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,516,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Obviously they have the ability to open a safe but not a smart phone.
It's set to erase all data after entering the wrong password after 10 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:05 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,280,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It does no such thing, if you can't figure it out with the OS now a new decrypted one won't do anything for you either, because just like you said, it's proprietary.. The iOS ALREADY decrypts the device or you wouldn't be able to access it. Apple is full of **** when they say they can't. It's already a part of their damn OS. Do you think the government is going to confiscate billions of iPhones and install this decrypted OS on them just for the hell of it or do you think that they will be able to install the OS remotely on anyone's iPhone at will? Both scenarios are complete BS.
It's not.

The private drive encryption key is generated by the OS on what's known as OOBE (out of box experience).

Once it's created and the drive encrypted, Apple has no more access to it that Bob Seger (of the Silver Bullet Band, who just randomly popped into my head while thinking about who else could have access).

I don't think that people get that software can perform actions that are not reversible. Once the drive is encrypted, there is no way to decrypt it without cracking the encryption, or having the private key to the public key that encrypted it.

ETA: Drive is used to mean mass storage, not necessarily an electromagnetic or optical storage disk.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-17-2016 at 03:14 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It's set to erase all data after entering the wrong password after 10 times.
Not true. It locks the device only.
The only way you can recover is to erase your device and reset to factory data losing all of your data.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306
If you enter the wrong passcode in to an iOS device six times in a row, you'll be locked out and a message will say that your device is disabled.
Unless you made a backup before you forgot your passcode, there isn't a way to save your device's data. You'll need to erase your device, which deletes all of your data and settings.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
The government is less trustworthy where the vast majority of citizens are concerned than the terrorists are.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,890,538 times
I support privacy. I also support that when someone is caught committing a crime like these 2 people were that law enforcement should have full access to any and all there private information.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:31 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,890,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government is less trustworthy where the vast majority of citizens are concerned than the terrorists are.
Pretty much agree... The exception being when the perps are caught in the act as these 2 were.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I support privacy. I also support that when someone is caught committing a crime like these 2 people were that law enforcement should have full access to any and all there private information.
But what if there is no backdoor access ?

Should the government force a company to create a backdoor just for them ?

Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,985,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So two terrorists commit an act of terrorism, because of this, me and tens (if not hundreds) of millions of other people are penalized by having their personal privacy and security compromised? If the answer to this is yes, then the end result is the terrorists continue to get what they want....which is to change the culture, way of life, and the freedoms that we enjoy.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM

57,362 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Just heard that the phone belonged to the City of Bernadino through the shooters postion, the couple did own a smart phone.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:35 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,587,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You seem pretty hung up on making this sound silly by using the old "ehh, its just dirty pictures you are worried about" but the seriousness of it goes well beyond that. If you really don't care about the data on your phone, why not download every character of text, every photo, the call log, and any video and put it on a zip file and upload it to this site. Just because something isn't "pricate" doesn't mean you want it out in the public. Plenty of damage can be done just by someone getting their hands on a regular picture of you with some basic information. I could use it to socially engineer an entire online profile of you, fake facebook and linkedin accounts that could easily destroy your career or personal relationships...just by knowing some simple info and having a regular picture or two of you.
This is already being done but it hasn't thwarted Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook.
I know about synthetic ID theft too and your concerns are valid. I agree and know this. I won't tell you how b/c then you or someone else could synthetically engineer me. So, I get it and am careful too. ID thieves are very smart today and the govt. is always behind the 8-ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies