Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:12 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Looks like someone blinked.

McConnell and a few others met with the President in the Oval Office this morning.

Obama Asked Republican Leaders to Suggest Supreme Court Nominee - Fortune

No progress, but the President can still say that they went to him.
It's all about the optics.

Republicans rebuff Obama in meeting on SCOTUS nomination | TheHill

I got a laugh out of this one, bad for the nation, really or maybe just the GOP.

“Whether everybody in the meeting today wanted to admit it, we all know that considering a nomination in the middle of a heated presidential campaign is bad for the nominee, bad for the court, bad for the process, and ultimately bad for the nation," Grassley said in a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 01:16 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I got a laugh out of this one, bad for the nation, really or maybe just the GOP.
Me too.

And no one's really discussing the downside.
Only outlook seems to be that all obstruction is all good.

Quote:
“Kind of amusing, the GOP is making their vulnerable incumbent senators walk a plank on SCOTUS in the hope that Trump might get to pick,” tweeted former Obama senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Well with President Trump, I for one welcome Supreme Court Justice Howard Stern.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:31 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

“Whether everybody in the meeting today wanted to admit it, we all know that considering a nomination in the middle of a heated presidential campaign is bad for the nominee, bad for the court, bad for the process, and ultimately bad for the nation," Grassley said in a statement.
With a few small changes, Grassley could be accused of plagiarizing Biden's remarks to the Senate in 1992:

"Instead, it would be our pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is under way, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over. That is what is fair to the nominee and is central to the process. Otherwise, it seems to me, Mr. President, we will be in deep trouble as an institution."

Old 03-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
McConnell is simply playing obstructionist games, so I'm not surprised. The sooner he gets defeated or retires, the better off America will be. The modern Republicans claim to despise SJW and their tactics -- except they use the same tactics SJW use. Not to mention their tones are strikingly similar. Same kind of tone and tactics, same no-compromise spirit -- only from the opposite direction.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
With a few small changes, Grassley could be accused of plagiarizing Biden's remarks to the Senate in 1992:

"Instead, it would be our pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is under way, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over. That is what is fair to the nominee and is central to the process. Otherwise, it seems to me, Mr. President, we will be in deep trouble as an institution."
True but then Biden wasn't the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee or the Senate and more importantly he didn't follow through on his threat nor did any of the others.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:45 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Whoops......

White House Is Said to Be Vetting Iowa Judge for Supreme Court Seat

Quote:
Mr. Grassley, in the interview on Wednesday, said he hoped Judge Kelly would be on a short list of potential Supreme Court nominees for the next Democratic president.
“In this particular instance,” Mr. Grassley said about the election-year vacancy, “it has got to be the process, and the person doesn’t matter, see.”

He also broke with the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who has flatly ruled out meeting with the president’s nominee.
Mr. Grassley said that he had not yet decided whether he would do so, and that Judge Kelly, as an Iowan, would be welcome in his office any time.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
More Shifty shenanigans from the Republicans. You can depend on them to lie and spin no matter

Old 03-03-2016, 12:17 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes! some semblance of a backbone from the Republicans, that's all we've been asking for...

McConnell: Senate won't act on Obama Supreme Court nominee - CNNPolitics.com

let the Democrat hypocrisy ensue!
It's just Republican opportunistic politics as usual. What's the big deal?

If the guy kicked the bucket while a GOPer was in Oval Office, they're be beating like hell to get some new stiff in there asap yesterday already. This is to be expected on either side.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
I wish that someone that supports Senator McConnell's position would come on here and answer the question: where does the Constitution state that the Senate has the power to not consider a Supreme Court nominee during 'election season'?

Note that I believe the Senate has the power to reject any and all nominees put forth by Obama. Indeed, they may keep rejecting such nominees until next January. But to say that they will not even consider or vote on a nominee during 'election' season seems unsupportable.

What is 'election' season? I believe the first candidates announced in May 2015 (or maybe a month or two prior to that). Is that when 'election' season began?

As I noted earlier in this thread, it could be argued that the only 'election' season recognized by the Constitution is the period between the Constitutionally established day for the Presidential election (first Tuesday after the first Monday in November) up to the date of the following December when the Electoral College actually casts their votes for President (a period of about 5 or 6 weeks).

Some have also spoken of the president being a 'lame duck' president. However, traditionally (for again, it is not in the Constitution) the 'lame duck' period begins when the new president is elected, up to the swearing in of said new president. The new president used to be sworn into office in March, but the Constitution was amended to push the date back to January, so the 'lame duck' factor was not as much in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies