Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 AM

140 posts, read 124,726 times

Advertisements

its a scam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
If there is a "treaty" agreement stipulating this is possible then one must assume the U.S. agreed to it because they desired a similar reciprocal arrangement.

Shouldn't that be obvious or are you folks all completely ignorant of the far reaching nonsense your IRS engages in regarding foreign nationals?

Surely there is a reciprocal agreement with the Germans to ensure compliance by them with IRS or other U.S. Federal agencies attempting to recoup losses of revenue from American ex-pats living in Germany for years.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I had the same issue with a dead uncle from Nigeria, who I hadn't even known existed. Fortunately I was able to pay $10000 into a Nigerian bank account, and the official who sent me the e-mail, was able to erase the $1000000 debt my late Nigerian uncle had accrued.

Same here except I sent money to the Congo. Apparently I have some African relatives I didn't know about. Glad I sent the money and it's all taken care of. It was a fairly easy process.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
If there is a "treaty" agreement stipulating this is possible then one must assume the U.S. agreed to it because they desired a similar reciprocal arrangement.

Shouldn't that be obvious or are you folks all completely ignorant of the far reaching nonsense your IRS engages in regarding foreign nationals?

Surely there is a reciprocal agreement with the Germans to ensure compliance by them with IRS or other U.S. Federal agencies attempting to recoup losses of revenue from American ex-pats living in Germany for years.
This is exactly why. However, I am finding through this that there are many elderly people who are faced with undue hardship by the requirements of the German state to deny an inheritance which is really a debt. Germany does not recognize our notaries, only their own. Therefore one must travel to a German consulate and pay them to notarize the signature. Yet, Germany recognizes our debt collection courts!

This US citizen had nothing to do with this German relative nor his debt. This is just crazy that this can happen to someone one day out of the blue.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I suggest:

Find a lawyer that will work for free

Contact the German Consulate and ask them to send a representative to the inheritor

Tell them to go stuff themselves (The Germans have a great word for this) and do nothing until the inheritor dies of old age.

I sent a package of rats with plague infected fleas to my Nigerian contact. I have not heard back from him.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think sometimes it is important to think 'age'......... at his age and health he probably feels lucky to be able to take a deep breathe each day. Most likely learning new things is not on top of his list of things to do!

One has to wonder how many more American citizens Germany will come after to cover their welcoming of refugees, who don't want to work.
Exactly! If anyone has relatives who are German citizens, be aware that this can happen to you. The debt is considered yours unless you can travel to a German consulate and pay a German notar to verify your signature denying the inheritance. After that, Germany will then pass on the debt to your children.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Exactly! If anyone has relatives who are German citizens, be aware that this can happen to you. The debt is considered yours unless you can travel to a German consulate and pay a German notar to verify your signature denying the inheritance. After that, Germany will then pass on the debt to your children.
US does about the same on the signing of legal documents. To have a foreign national sign a quit claim deed on a US property they have to go to the US Embassy or Consulate and sign it there.

Pass on German inheritance laws - which undoubtedly are a matter of treaty rights.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:32 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

No need to be nasty about it. Why would most of us even know this kind of thing? I don't agree with the joking around about it since it's apparently a very real problem for this elderly gentleman, (which means he's not the only one), but you act like this makes complete sense. What a stupid treaty, and it makes no sense to me...of course I'm only given the limited information and regardless of how many sites I looked up to find more information, they just repeat each other with nothing further. You even say, "If" so settle down.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:46 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why would he have to follow German law if he's a US citizen?
Yeah, I'm really wondering if a US federal court or state court would ever really order the US Marshals or County Sheriffs (respectively) to arrest him.

Yes, I read "...German money judgments are enforceable in the United States (which requires prior recognition by a court in the U.S.)...," but I suspect that was intended to apply to multi-national corporations or at least individuals who have actually conducted their own affairs in in that country.

And I don't ignore that phrase "which requires prior recognition by a court in the US." A US court is not going to recognize a foreign obligation just because that foreign law said it existed. For instance, a young boy born in South Korea immigrates legally to the US with his parents. According to South Korean law, that boy is still a citizen of South Korea and is still obligated to mandatory military service. If he should ever go back to South Korea for a visit, they will nab him...but no US court is ever going to order him back.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:49 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think sometimes it is important to think 'age'......... at his age and health he probably feels lucky to be able to take a deep breathe each day. Most likely learning new things is not on top of his list of things to do!
My point is that such legal matters are already executable by Skype and other remote electronic means, and those have already found international acceptance. A local lawyer in conjunction with a Chicago lawyer should be able to arrange for him to handle an acceptable meeting with the consulate via Skype from the local lawyer's office.

If it came to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies