Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Did they? Proof?

Does it occur to you that they get loans because they have enough working capital in the first place, and that they work very very hard - not just the recipient but their entire family - pay their bills, and are very low risk?
Absolutely I see that as I do in Asian family restaurants. They have to because unfortunately they do not qualify.

From the link you clearly did not read yet.

Some minority groups are presumed to be socially and economically disadvantaged and can qualify for the 8(a) program. These groups include: African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, Asian Pacific Americans and Subcontinent Asian Americans. Individuals who are not members of one or more of these groups can be considered for the 8(a) program, but they must provide substantial evidence and documentation that demonstrates that they have been subjected to bias or discrimination and are economically disadvantaged. Firms owned by Alaska Native Corporations, Indian Tribes, Native Hawaiian Organizations and Community Development Corporations can also apply to the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 08:49 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
If immigrants are so great why do their countries suck? A nation reflects its people! And I really doubt that article is true it looks like propaganda from what I see. Looks like it's propoganda to let more immigrants come here so big companies can pay them less. That's always what companies want MONEY!
Well, of course immigrants in the US look good when they're handpicked out of billions throughout the entire planet.

It also makes the US in turn 'look good', so that's preferred over actually figuring out why the US is failing to develop its own citizens to their fullest potential. Unfortunately, this bandaid solution to ensuring the US is always seem as '#1" actually harms the actual born citizens, and makes the reality further away from the facade.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
When did "minority" automatically equal to legal immigrants? That's racist even to think that way.

By the way, I apply for those grants. After a ton of paperwork and waste of my time, I got zip!!!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Huh, I didn't realize African Americans and Native Americans were immigrant groups.

Let's look at this, shall we?

Quote:
How do I know if I qualify for the 8(a) program?

Some minority groups are presumed to be socially and economically disadvantaged and can qualify for the 8(a) program. These groups include: African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, Asian Pacific Americans and Subcontinent Asian Americans. Individuals who are not members of one or more of these groups can be considered for the 8(a) program, but they must provide substantial evidence and documentation that demonstrates that they have been subjected to bias or discrimination and are economically disadvantaged. Firms owned by Alaska Native Corporations, Indian Tribes, Native Hawaiian Organizations and Community Development Corporations can also apply to the program.

You know they have SBA assisted loans for everyone, as long as they qualify, right?

Quote:
7(a) Loan Program Eligibility

SBA provides loans to businesses; so the requirements of eligibility are based on specific aspects of the business and its principals. As such, the key factors of eligibility are based on what the business does to receive its income, the character of its ownership and where the business operates.

SBA generally does not specify what businesses are eligible. Rather, the agency outlines what businesses are not eligible. However, there are some universally applicable requirements. To be eligible for assistance, businesses must:

Operate for profit
Be small, as defined by SBA
Be engaged in, or propose to do business in, the United States or its possessions
Have reasonable invested equity
Use alternative financial resources, including personal assets, before seeking financial assistance
Be able to demonstrate a need for the loan proceeds
Use the funds for a sound business purpose
Not be delinquent on any existing debt obligations to the U.S. government
You also understand that the SBA does not loan money directly to anyone?

Quote:
What does SBA offer to small business owners? The programs are many and varied, and the qualifications for each are specific. SBA can help facilitate a loan for you with a third party lender, guarantee a bond, or help you find venture capital. Understanding how SBA works is the first step towards receiving assistance.
Oh look, if you live in a rural area you might also find assistance getting financing..

Quote:
Rural Business Loans

B&I Guaranteed Loan Program

If your business is located in a rural community, you may qualify for special financing. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) currently maintains a Business and Industry (B&I) Guaranteed Loan Program. The USDA provides guarantees of up to 80 percent of a loan made by a commercial lender.

Proceeds for B&I Loan

This loan can be used for:

Working capital

Machinery and equipment

Buildings and real estate

Certain types of debt refinancing.

The B&I Loan Guarantee Program Fact Sheet provides all you need to know about obtaining one of these loans, including eligibility, loan terms and conditions, equity requirements, and interest rates. Like SBA loans, you need to go through your local bank or financial institution to apply for a B&I loan. If you have any questions about the B&I Loan Guarantee Program or other financial options, contact your state's Rural Development Field Office.
So I'd be interested in seeing numbers that prove immigrants get these loans in greater numbers than non immigrants. Got those?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Yeah and immigrants are twice as likely to start new businesses.....not to mention much more likely to receive da guberment grant money to start one and much more likely to be granted da guberment contracts.

Funny how a now those little privileges that help people succeed don't count in that case huh?

There are other factors of course....after all I don't think like the typical brain damaged liberal.

No such thing as generic "immigrants" .

The educated, legal immigrants do have advantages. They move often move here debt free from their free educational system. My wife has a master's degree equivalent and was free and clear. The legal ones tend to go though a selective filter. So we are getting the cream of the crop. Since they do not come in large numbers, they generally assimilate and become model citizens.

If you look Latin Americans coming across the border , they are slightly better then political refugees which are also colossal failures like Somalis , and Hmong.

I am afraid you will not see and Yucatan Indian, Somali , Hmong billion dollar starts up all working together in East St Louis. If one thinks its all the same then one is self evidently a moron.
Legal immigrants have the same rights, except for voting, as American citizens. Nothing wrong with them receiving grants as long as they are equally.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Absolutely I see that as I do in Asian family restaurants. They have to because unfortunately they do not qualify.

From the link you clearly did not read yet.

Oh no I read it.

That's only one section of the SBA.

Anyone who starts a small business can apply for an SBA backed loan.

Where is your proof that immigrants get more loans than everyone else?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 AM

Here's some data on immigrant owned businesses....

Quote:
Overall Findings

• Immigrants are found to have higher business ownership and formation rates than non-immigrants.
Roughly one out of ten immigrant workers owns a business and 620 of 100,000 immigrants (0.62 percent) start a business each month.

• Immigrant-owned businesses start with higher levels of startup capital than non-immigrant-owned businesses. Nearly 20 percent of immigrant-owned businesses started with $50,000 ormore in startup capital, compared with 15.9 percentof non-immigrant-owned businesses.

• Roughly two-thirds of immigrant-owned businesses report that the most common source of startup capital is personal or family savings. Other commonly reported sources of startup capital by immigrant businesses are credit cards, bank loans,personal or family assets, and home equity loans.

Overall, the sources of startup capital used by immigrant businesses do not differ substantially from those used by non-immigrant firms.
https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/rs396tot.pdf

Helpful info from the site linked by gwendd1. Thank gwenedd. Welsh, per chance?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't think America needs to attract more talented people, but I do think it benefits us to attract the most talented -- provided that they really can be proven to be "the most talented" and not just "the cheapest."

The article you just quoted suggests a 'fix' that does the opposite.

It encourages the expansion of a non-immigrant Visa that makes it almost impossible for highly-skilled foreigners to obtain a greencard.

WSJ, like most Murdoch publications, just banks on its readers being too stupid to notice the difference. WSJ has been pushing low-wage offshoring tech visas for years, trying to pass them off as "immigrant job creators." Right-wing interests have always used publications like WSJ and IBD as mouthpieces for right-wing ideology, knowing that their readers all think they're getting in on some kind of 'inside scoop' that normal people don't know about.

Thing is-- we do have immigrant job creators, but WSJ isn't proposing any plans that would make it easier for them.
i can tell you right up front that it's very difficult to actually determine the top talent and whether they are underpaid. companies and their experts decide whether it's the top talent they need. they can put someone in a lower paid category and that employee is not underpaid. there are so many ways for companies to do that. how are you going to police that?

so much for the right-wing ideologies, if you mean pro-immigration. that is shared with the left, for which any resistance to immigration is racist.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:03 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, of course immigrants in the US look good when they're handpicked out of billions throughout the entire planet.

It also makes the US in turn 'look good', so that's preferred over actually figuring out why the US is failing to develop its own citizens to their fullest potential. Unfortunately, this bandaid solution to ensuring the US is always seem as '#1" actually harms the actual born citizens, and makes the reality further away from the facade.
well, that's why this country is framed to be an immigrant society, so that this system is sustained.

simply put, businesses want talents and lower cost of doing business. the american system is set up to prioritize that.

now, good business does create jobs, which help everybody here. but the workers aren't the priority.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Study: Immigrants Founded 51% of U.S. Billion-Dollar Startups - Digits - WSJ

How many of you agree that America needs to attract more talented people and reduce the hurdles?

How about making it easier for technical immigrants to obtain a green card directly?
We are all pretty much immigrants...so what.

Liberals cannot grasp the concept of degrees.

If you are for controlled immigration you are a xenophobe and racist???? only in the world of liberalism can such a stunted perspective go mainstream.

It is flood or famine. Want a glass of water a liberal will drown you in a 55 gallon drum full of water.

how about scraping the teacher's union and enter into the 21st century with a new edu strategy that mines the gold found in our children and previously discarded because they didn't fit the 'mold'. Public edu needs a revamp, no it needs to be razed and a new structure and philosophy put in place.!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies