Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Nice logical fallacy. "Minority" has an immigrant selection bias.

Oh you would hmmm? So first you claim there is no bias . Then you through up a bunch of chaff as if other factors nullify the simple identity bias skewing the statistics. If you were a researcher and I was hiring, you wouldn't work for me because you are incompetent. If someone is competent, I'd hire them if they wore a bone in their nose.

That is just one example.

Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification

City of Houston Awards More Than $339M in Contracts to Small, Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Houston Businesses

I know an ethinic Russian accountant who invited me as a guest to her company Holiday party in another city just two years ago.. Had a few conversations with a few civil engineers. It was the typical minority company contracted out from the city. Kind of hard to convince me when I am sitting in the middle of it.

The statistics are meaningless when trying to prove immigrants are job creators because there is a large selection bias given than most immigrants these days are so called minorities.

The rest I figure goes to established companies meaning that non minority business will hardly be new.

So the statistic is a complete laugher being none other than the obvious result of actually re-distributive planning.

This isn't a race screed...Its not like the typical non minority city contractors were pure of heart...Its always been corrupt...

However mass immigration doesn't necessarily create jobs or wealth and the stupid statics that ignore the social engineering behind it are a joke. The ones more likely to would be educated legal immigrants. Its not going to be 12 year olds from El Salvador or Syrian refugees.
Why do you keep posting programs for minorities in a thread about immigration?

Minority does not equal recent immigrant. You don't know if they came here yesterday or if their families have been here and citizens for generations. Many of the minority programs help women of all races, and African Americans.

They are not "immigrant" grants. (The SBA loans you cited aren't grants at all, but government backed loans, open to everyone). Yes some immigrants are minorities. But not all minorities are immigrants, meaning they came over in the last generation. You're extrapolating. Where's your proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 03:07 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Immigration priority should be primarily based on skill, ability, and needs of the US...not based on who is related to who in the US.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Did they? Proof?

Does it occur to you that they get loans because they have enough working capital in the first place, and that they work very very hard - not just the recipient but their entire family - pay their bills, and are very low risk?
You argued this very same point in another thread and I responded to you there, but will do so here, also.

Some ethnic groups, like Koreans, get their loans from other Koreans. Local successful Koreans pool their money and loan it to other Koreans who want to start business. This is something not available to Americans.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You argued this very same point in another thread and I responded to you there, but will do so here, also.

Some ethnic groups, like Koreans, get their loans from other Koreans. Local successful Koreans pool their money and loan it to other Koreans who want to start business. This is something not available to Americans.
Except for the fact that Americans can borrow money from... wait for it... ANY OTHER AMERICAN THAT WANTS TO INVEST.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:58 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Study: Immigrants Founded 51% of U.S. Billion-Dollar Startups - Digits - WSJ

How many of you agree that America needs to attract more talented people and reduce the hurdles?

How about making it easier for technical immigrants to obtain a green card directly?
How about taking advantage the huge pool of professionals that are already here (we are a country of 300M)?
How about supporting independent small and medium sized American companies?
How about supporting diversity in business, instead of MS, Apple etc. keeping the US market hostage?

Old 03-21-2016, 04:05 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Why do you keep posting programs for minorities in a thread about immigration?

Minority does not equal recent immigrant. You don't know if they came here yesterday or if their families have been here and citizens for generations. Many of the minority programs help women of all races, and African Americans.

They are not "immigrant" grants. (The SBA loans you cited aren't grants at all, but government backed loans, open to everyone). Yes some immigrants are minorities. But not all minorities are immigrants, meaning they came over in the last generation. You're extrapolating. Where's your proof?

You are either a tool or the subject matter is above you last educational completed grade.

U.S. Immigrant Population Record 41.3 Million in 2013 | Center for Immigration Studies

The skew is heavily minority.

Minorities and immigrants are also younger on average which is typically when people start a business.

https://hbr.org/2014/04/how-old-are-...eres-the-data/

This again skews the data.

They are neither too young or too old.

Age Distribution of Immigrants to U.S., 1870-Present | migrationpolicy.org

64.2 percent were between 15 and 64,

vs 82% between between 15 and 64

Old retired people and children don't start a new business.

I am sure there is some risk taking as well among legal immigrants.
I don't see any direct result of an open border . I see legal immigrants.

The Shocking Stats About Who's Really Starting Companies In America | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

I am for legal immigration for this reason.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You are either a tool or the subject matter is above you last educational completed grade.

U.S. Immigrant Population Record 41.3 Million in 2013 | Center for Immigration Studies

The skew is heavily minority.

Minorities and immigrants are also younger on average which is typically when people start a business.

https://hbr.org/2014/04/how-old-are-...eres-the-data/

This again skews the data.

They are neither too young or too old.

Age Distribution of Immigrants to U.S., 1870-Present | migrationpolicy.org

64.2 percent were between 15 and 64,

vs 82% between between 15 and 64

Old retired people and children don't start a new business.

I am sure there is some risk taking as well among legal immigrants.
I don't see any direct result of an open border . I see legal immigrants.

The Shocking Stats About Who's Really Starting Companies In America | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

I am for legal immigration for this reason.
So what if the immigration data skews toward minorities? The grants and loan assistance offered to American minorities do not exclude American born minorities.

You'd save yourself a lot of bother if you'd post data confirming how many American born minorities receive this help compared to how many foriegn born minorities.

You are saying that SBA loans and govt contracts for minorities are given in favor of immigrant minorities over American born minorities. If you have the data on that, I'll concede your point.

Given that women are included in the minority column, no matter where they're they're born, I'd say you might have some difficulty in finding stats to back up your case.

From your own link:

City of Houston Awards More Than $339M in Contracts to Small, Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Houston Businesses

Old 03-21-2016, 05:46 PM

977 posts, read 1,012,132 times
I am not an immigrant I am born here, and my family is from here. This country is a European county. It may not originally belong to Europeans but it does now! I like how everyone missed my point that I think this is just so companies can hire immigrants and pay them lower the the visas! And I mean look there's millions of immigrants, and 3 started huge companies... And like everyone else said there's more younger immigrants coming here. I think America needs to encourage people to have kids. I mean I know it's somewhat bad for overpopulation buts it's good for the economy! I think it must be strenuous for the economy to have a bunch of people getting older, then barely any, then a huge influx of old and young people etc. I think America needs to worry about having a correct population pyramid.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:05 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
So what if the immigration data skews toward minorities? The grants and loan assistance offered to American minorities do not exclude American born minorities.

You'd save yourself a lot of bother if you'd post data confirming how many American born minorities receive this help compared to how many foriegn born minorities.

You are saying that SBA loans and govt contracts for minorities are given in favor of immigrant minorities over American born minorities. If you have the data on that, I'll concede your point.

Given that women are included in the minority column, no matter where they're they're born, I'd say you might have some difficulty in finding stats to back up your case.

From your own link:

You don't have any stats backing up your case other than a crude statistic like the same one they use for a woman's low pay that ignores fewer hours worked and feminist studies over engineering. I also casually mused about how often immigrants inherited or ran an existing family business . The answer by definition is none. So any immigrant that is self employed , is probably going to be, ya know, a start up. When My father had his own business, I ran it while he was in the hospital. After he died I just kept running it. So I was "not a start up".

I know that you would just love the typical narrative that Americans are lazy and stupid and are just excited at the opportunity to step aside for the rest of the world that is superior in every way but its mostly convenient BS and statistically contrived crap to drive a political agenda.

The US is often the first choice for entrepreneurs to come. That very specific population no doubt contributes.

But we all know that's not what this is about....

Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Immigration priority should be primarily based on skill, ability, and needs of the US...not based on who is related to who in the US.

talk about anti- family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies