Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 01:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They inherit the world we created.

I.e., it's not their fault; it's ours.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 01:24 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Bahahahahaa. I don't believe you for one second you actually care about the poor. Sorry.
Why not? NO ONE likes to see anyone suffer through no fault of their own, but that's exactly what nearly HALF of all the new mothers are doing to 70% of the Medicaid babies born each year. And by the way, I also advocate continuously for providing better educational opportunities to minorities, something you're against providing for them.

Quote:
Hispanic birth rates have fallen since your data has came out. Hispanic immigration has fallen too! Trends change over time, educate yourself on Google.
So update the stats... List the birth rate for women receiving public assistance, the birth rate for women not receiving public assistance, and the percentage of US births for which Medicaid pays. And cite your sources, like I did.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:55 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, you're not.

Again...

Failure to Launch: The Lost Generation

https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-conten...FullReport.pdf
I guess I'm not getting why you're being so combative about this. Millenials started entering the workforce full time about 12-16 years ago. We've already taken over many jobs that boomers and gen Xers have left behind. In some cases those jobs have been entirely eliminated, in other cases entirely new ones have been created.

I see millenials in leadership positions all the time. To be fair, this country is hurdling towards a new age that previous generations are having to confront at the same time, it's new to all of us. Technology is fixing and creating problems faster than government and even society as a whole can keep up with.

I browsed your link and there is good information there, but I don't have the time to dissect every statistic and study. Here is the "final word" of your study.

Quote:
FAILURE TO LAUNCH
: Structural Shift and the New Lost Generation

While the situation may look dire for today’s generation of young adults,
there are several reasons for optimism.

First, millennials themselves are the most optimistic generation: 88 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds think they either have, or will have, enough money in the future to achieve their long-term financial goals.

Second, millennials are the most-educated generation: 60 percent of women have attained at least some college credit, compared to 52 percent of women from Generation X and 34 percent of baby boomers at the same ages.

Third, despite troubling trends in the labor market and changing sociocultural norms, millennials’ median household income remains the highest of any generation at similar ages.

But optimism alone will not address the problems that confront today’s generation of young adults and will continue to affect future generations unless the United States confronts the problems directly. Young adults’ ability to thrive in the labor market as previous generations have depends upon our ability to reform the generational social compact to meet the new demands of a 21st century economy and society: enhancing the productivity of our education system; establishing active labor market policies that promote young adults’ connection to careers; restructuring the off-ramp from full-time careers to retirement; and adopting policies that promote gainful employment. These reforms would promote economic growth by alleviating the costs associated with an aging society and a slow-growing labor force.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Exactly. The entire question is based on the fact that she was refinancing at a lower rate, yet you spewed nonsense about assumptions you made that were not a part of the question at all. That's why you'd fail to answer the question correctly.
No, the question says she has an offer,not that she has already excepted. If anything, you are making the assumptions along with the person who wrote the test, proving just how inadequate it is to make the conclusions that it does.

The question is actually asking you to decided what is the best course of action is , and the person who wrote the test believes that you will answer the same way he would, and then answer the subset the same way he would. That is a false hood and that is exactly why it is an opinion based test.

This isnt that hard to understand. It is an open ended question that the test writer claims only has 2 answers. That isnt true of any question, especially one that involves real life choices. Again showing how flawed the test is.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I guess I'm not getting why you're being so combative about this. Millenials started entering the workforce full time about 12-16 years ago. We've already taken over many jobs that boomers and gen Xers have left behind. In some cases those jobs have been entirely eliminated, in other cases entirely new ones have been created.

I see millenials in leadership positions all the time. To be fair, this country is hurdling towards a new age that previous generations are having to confront at the same time, it's new to all of us. Technology is fixing and creating problems faster than government and even society as a whole can keep up with.

I browsed your link and there is good information there, but I don't have the time to dissect every statistic and study. Here is the "final word" of your study.
So... why aren't millennials doing what the report suggests? Why is the title of the Georgetown University report "Failure to Launch" instead of something that actually reflects a success of any kind whatsoever?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No, the question says she has an offer,not that she has already excepted.
Wow. You really cannot comprehend what you read. More of that "Failure to Launch" Georgetown University is talking about.
From your post:
Quote:
Question
If she takes the Zedbest loan, Mrs Jones will immediately pay off her existing loan. What are two other financial benefits for Mrs Jones if she takes the Zedbest loan?
And the two correct answers you listed are factually true:

1) She would indeed be paying a lower interest rate.

2) She would indeed have more money available (to use for whatever purpose).

Old 03-26-2016, 03:21 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Wow. You really cannot comprehend what you read. More of that "Failure to Launch" Georgetown University is talking about.
From your post: And the two correct answers you listed are factually true:

1) She would indeed be paying a lower interest rate.

2) She would indeed have more money available (to use for whatever purpose).
I wouldn't consider taking on more debt as being 'financially beneficial'.

Wasn't that part of the housing collapse? People re-mortgaging their homes for cash?

Yup, I think it was.

The correct answer should be "there are NO financial benefits".

Old 03-26-2016, 03:48 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
So... why aren't millennials doing what the report suggests? Why is the title of the Georgetown University report "Failure to Launch" instead of something that actually reflects a success of any kind whatsoever?
Of all the jobs I've listed we are taking over, the one thing I left out was GOVERNMENT.

Give it another 10 years, the older millenials will be about 45.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,166 times
Quote:
I'm going to call you out on this one. Why should Cheesecake answer your question if all you do is copy-paste handpicked messages that you go around posting everywhere in a smug condescending tone. You didn't even respond to a good point they made:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Quote:
But optimism alone will not address the problems that confront today’s generation of young adults and will continue to affect future generations unless the United States confronts the problems directly. Young adults’ ability to thrive in the labor market as previous generations have depends upon our ability to reform the generational social compact to meet the new demands of a 21st century economy and society: enhancing the productivity of our education system; establishing active labor market policies that promote young adults’ connection to careers; restructuring the off-ramp from full-time careers to retirement; and adopting policies that promote gainful employment. These reforms would promote economic growth by alleviating the costs associated with an aging society and a slow-growing labor force.
All it seems you do is run around the forums gish-galloping by posting a bunch of sources, asking people to refute them, and if they do, posting another batch. You then repeat this cycle until they give up. This isn't debate, this is sticking your hands in your ears and going "NUH-UH LOOK!"

Old 03-26-2016, 05:37 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times
Quote:
Looks pretty grim to me...

Women receiving public assistance, as a group, have a birth rate 3 times higher than women who don't receive public assistance. That, in itself has led to the additional problem of nearly half of all U.S. births being paid for by Medicaid. 70% of those kids will never rise out of poverty, even as adults.

Birth rate stats citations:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

Only 30% of those born poor ever make it out of poverty

Care to tell us how the stats have changed, lately?
I live in Arizona which is one nation's welfare epicenters and it's amazing how these young entitled female's have baby after baby because they know the liberals will raise taxes on hard-working middle-aged workers and senior's to pay for their millenial welfare programs.

In the 70s and 80s there was a much smaller safety-net for families compared to today. Today, there are households bringing in $12,000 welfare EITC credits a year, $10,000 plus in food assistance yearly, $15,000-$20,000 in Section 8 vouchers, $10,000 per child in state and local taxes for complimentary childcare from 5 to 18 years old from 8am-3pm, free medicaid for any extra babies they want to add to their already large families. They get hundreds a month in utility assistance.

Its just ridiculous the mentality of today's millenials as opposed to prior generations who worked hard and lived modestly with much smaller safety net.

Liberals love Medicaid babies because they are counting on those votes for the future. Liberals also like to lecture us about "the poor children" to make people more empathetic to big tax increases for their manufactured social problems.

It's entertaining going to the grocery store and basically from 1st thru 10th of the month and basically it's just these millenial families with 3 to 5 kids each or even more. They know that Obama and the State will always be there for them giving them thousands in free-hand out's monthly.

The liberalism in this country is totally out of control. It's ridiculous the expansion of the welfare state over the last generation.

The poor millenial baby factories get $1500 or so in rental vouchers, $1000 or more in free food monthly along with other liberal goodies like complementary childcare, utility bill assistance and fake grants to go to school while not working. Now the extreme liberals want to make sure these women who have babies when poor get reduced cost diapers.

Compare that to the senior's of America who worked all their lives and are shortchanged by the government.

Millenials also take out lots of loans to study weird majors in universities. They also don't like to work while attending and many live a celebrity lifestyle exclusively off student loans. Many Millenials take out private loans to attend graduate programs thinking they will graduate into an immediate six-figure position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies